Medit-0.8.10 - text editor

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Previously known as Guest

Medit-0.8.10 - text editor

#1 Post by Previously known as Guest »

http://mooedit.sourceforge.net/

714KB
Medit-0.8.10.pup

If devx environment isn't installed, this lib is needed. Manually extract.
33KB
Medit-libs-0.8.10.tar.gz
Last edited by Previously known as Guest on Wed 22 Aug 2007, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.

Eyes-Only

#2 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hmm... I downloaded and installed this PKaG and when I went to run it, it failed. So I tried in CLI figuring it probably needed a dependency and bingo---said it required "libobjc.so.1". In doing a Google search the most I could find were .rpm's of the sources which had to be compiled (along with the GCC compiler) and now we're out of my league here. ;)

Normally I'd go searching my two other HDD installs for the file (PCLOS-2007/Debian-Sid) but both came up empty for the file as well, something which rarely ever happens BTW, especially where Debian-Sid is involved as it seems like I've downloaded half the repo---or so it seems when it comes to upgrading the thing. :lol:

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

#3 Post by Previously known as Guest »

Thanks for that catch. Seems that if devx isn't available, the lib is missing, I've attached in the first post.

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

eye's,

here's the missing library. i think it's from the devx package. i hope it's the only one missing.

Edit:

whoops, i missed pkag's previous post.

Eyes-Only

#5 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks PKaG and Muggins, first for the file and the latter for your concern. :) Much appreciated ALL the way around here! Okie-dokie... I've downloaded the file but for the moment I'm going to finish with the rest of the follow-ups of today while still here and then go and give this a try, coming back to let you know how it went.

I hear you only TOO well Muggins when you say, "Let's hope this is the only file needed." LOL! I view myself luckier than most because I have two other distros installed upon this drive, PCLOS-2007 and Debian-Sid. So when I run into a dependency problem (and it doesn't always happen in Puppy---you'd be surprised how often a package will slip through Synaptic!) I'm fortunate enough that I can really cheat, do the "no-no", and grab a libfile off from one of the other partitions not specifically compiled FOR the Puppy Linux environment AND get away with it scott-free! :shock:

Then too, you'd be surprised of the times where, despite its cut-down and minimal size I've actually found the file in Puppy which has saved my butt from between being able to use a piece of software in either of the above-mentioned installs, or having to uninstall the software! I feel that's quite a testament to Puppy's completeness in containing "just what it needs" when sometimes the larger distros lack.

At any rate PKaG, I do appreciate you making this package available for Puppy. I've recently downloaded Gedit, the newest version, in Debian-Sid perhaps a day before downloading your Medit and I grabbed this pack expressedly because of how much it's like Gedit and how it allows you to manage files from the sidebar. One very nifty feature at that! If I recall correctly Tea does likewise but our Tea.pup is getting old at v10 and the last time I installed that was at v15 I believe on PCLOS.

Okie, I could sit and talk text editors all day. I've tried enough of the simpler ones. LOL!

Thanks again PKaG & Muggins!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

#6 Post by Previously known as Guest »

You're welcome Eyes-Only, hopefully some will find it useful. Nice editor, more features that Leafpad & not as "heavy" as Geany when it isn't needed by some. I have a tendency to package something, pup or tar.gz & never get around to posting about. :shock: I usually keep fairly current with geany svn snapshots, though not mentioned & constantly updating posts.

Eyes-Only

#7 Post by Eyes-Only »

Sheesh! Here it is Friday and I'm just now getting back to you PKaG. :( This is yet another one of the "101 reasons I gave up beta-testing". LOL!

I did indeed get that libfile installed on Wednesday night (very late in fact) and Medit started up after that without a hitch and has been running like a charm ever since. What a beautiful piece of software! I much prefer this I've found even over Tea. Tea 17 has so many options it takes you nearly half the day to configure the thing. hehe! Okie, so I exagerate a little. But over the versions Tea has become more and more complicated an editor---whereas your Medit package is just perfect and fits the bill for me just right!

I love how it has the side file manager so I can graphically find my files and load them, and since I do a lot of work on javascript & .css preference files (dealing with Mozilla Apps) and Medit colourises and highlights the lines, this makes it perfect for my failing eyesight.

So your making this package has meant a lot to me personally PKaG. I love Leafpad for the quick and simple saving of .txt files, or articles I grab here and there off the net, but when it comes to something else with more "oomph" and yet is still lite-weight, Medit fits the bill perfectly.

It's rather interesting: Both you & Dougal have made several apps lately for Puppy which I've found very useful---so useful in fact that I booted into my other two distros and installed from their repos as well. LOL!

Again, many thanks and my apologies for being late in telling you that the libfile was all it needed in Puppy for it to work.

Amicalement mon ami!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*