wakepup2 and 166mhz laptop with 48 MB RAM

Booting, installing, newbie
snow-ice

#41 Post by snow-ice »

I'm still trying here. I am havig trouble getting windows to preload one of the files from the cd. Before it fully loads, the computer stops loading from the cd. I have done many reloads of windows. If I format the hdd, can I load puppy directly to the hdd. When I tried this, I had no cd drive support. Can I load a driver to similar to the one on the win98 start disk to drive the cd drive?

Thanks,
Greg

algotr

Setting VGA-mode with WakePup2

#42 Post by algotr »

John Doe said on Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:47 pm:
Here is wakepup2 tuned up. I fixed up the command line limit by writting all the boot options to a file at linld/puppy.lin dynamically. Also added a second menu for pfix ram and nox options (all possibilites).

*edit-no longer true ->All changes where in autoexec.bat

Do not be concerned with the contents of linld/puppy.lin. It is only there so it doesn't error when deleted.

I also changed the messaged displayed at runtime to say version 0.3, so people would know. I kept the 2 on the file name so the scripts that call it won't need changed.
Unfourtunatly linld doesn't work with vga= option in a file, it has to be on the commandline, preferably before the cl= option.

If last lines in AutoExec.BAT reads

Code: Select all

:load
LINLD.COM image=%drv%\vmlinuz initrd=%drv%\initrd.gz %vga% cl=@linld\puppy.lin

goto end
it will work much better! (Notice the %vga% on the command line.)

Regards,

/ Algot Runebjörk
Last edited by algotr on Sun 12 Aug 2007, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

jonyo

Re: wakepup2 and 166mhz laptop with 48 MB RAM

#43 Post by jonyo »

snow-ice wrote:I am trying to install puppy on an IBM 166mhz, 48 mb ram. I am using wakepup and tried versions puppy versions 2.14 and 2.16. Everything with wakepup works good until I come to this error. (Linld v 0.97 cant't open kernel file) then the A prompt. This is my first linux attempt and if I can get this to work, I'll dump the MS evil empires software on all 5 computers in the house. I will try ubuntu on the newer boxes but I hope pup can save this old laptop. Thanks All.
I'm fiddlin with a ibm 380 ED p150 32 megs a ram. Supposed to be non bootable from cd but ended up bootin win 98 & gparted live cd (though it hung & didn't fully open).

Tried out a buncha 2x variant pups & no boot. Then tried out a buncha 2Xs with a wake floppy, again no boot & gave up that day.

Then tried out a wake floppy (outa 2.17) with pup vers 2.01 & outa the blue, booted to a start screen but with poor graphics & was very slow (couldn't use gparted). Ram's in the mail so I'll have ~ 80 megs total & see what happens then.

Bottom line is with the current setup, the only boot I got with a wake floppy was with pup vers 2.01. The wake floppy didn't even recognize the other 2x variants I tried (no pup
files found). Might try 2.01

John Doe

Re: Setting VGA-mode with WakePup2

#44 Post by John Doe »

algotr wrote:it will work much better! (Notice the %vga% on the command line.)
yes, i see what you have done.

i'll test that out and work it into the next version.

i'm going to work out a hardware driver menu tonight.

jonyo

#45 Post by jonyo »

Not sure what the deal is here anymore but wake floppy boots 2x pup vers to a start screen on my ibm 380 ed lap p166mmx with 32 megs ram. So figure you should be able to do the same with yours If not ~ better with 48 megs a ram.

Barely ran (& booted sloow) then & don't remember if I was able to add a swap partition at the time, but once I maxed out the ram to 80 megs (~20 bucks), I'm able to run recent 2x variants live cd half decent.with a 160 meg swap partition & a save file to HD..