How to install Exaile? (Gtk based media player)

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
slvrldy17

How to install Exaile? (Gtk based media player)

#1 Post by slvrldy17 »

Ran accross this in a post on Linux.com - if I'm reading it right it may be a viable choice for use in Puppy - its Gtk based and the screen shots of the interface look good - for whatever reason the tar.gz file will not install properly as an alien package so haven't been able to test it. Perhaps one of our more expert forum members could figure out whats needed. Link is below

http://www.exaile.org/trac

Alice

plinej

#2 Post by plinej »

It'll need alot of dependancies.

Requirements ¶

* Python 2.4
* python-gtk2 (2.8.6)
* gstreamer 0.10, gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
* python-dbus
* python-pysqlite2
* python-mutagen

Optional ¶

* python-gpod (for iPod support)
* gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly (for mp3 support)
* python-gamin (for directory watching)
* sexy-python (to add a clear button to filters)
* python-gnome2-extras or some similarly-named package (for lyrics, better tray icon, etc.)

slvrldy17

Thanks Plinej

#3 Post by slvrldy17 »

I had a feeling that would be the case - think I'll pass on trying to play with this one. But it might be a worthwhile project for someone with the skills needed who has the time and likes/wants to tinker with putting a workable package together.

Thanks,

Alice
Always give without remembering - always receive without forgetting.
Alice

NinerSevenTango

#4 Post by NinerSevenTango »

Bringing this subject back from the dead ....

I'd love to get Exaile working in Puppy so I don't have to run Ubuntu when I want my PC to be a jukebox.

I've seen a few posts where people tried compiling it but couldn't get it to run .....

This is one app that I love because it just works the way I want such an app to work, so it'll be worth it to make Puppy heavy if I have to. I'll even switch to a full hd install if I have to.

Where should I start? By installing all those dependencies, compiling them for puppy if necessary? Then compiling Exaile itself?

Any advice from experienced compilers would be appreciated. I will be starting from the instructions about compiling on the Wiki this weekend when I get some time.

Thanks all, and thanks to Barry for such a great distro,

--97T--

Eyes-Only

#5 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi 97T, (Nice nick by the way!)

While I'm not a compiler and the most I've ever done are icon and theme packs, that's basically what you'd do is to install the dependencies first. Then you'd get a file for your version of Puppy known as "devx.sfs". So say like you're using Puppy 2.17, you'd look for the "devx217.sfs" module I believe it is, and you'd place that in your "/home" directory and then reboot Puppy which would cause it to register that file. (These are the "header files" missing from Puppy and which allow it to remain so small, but are needed by programmes when compiling, see?)

Then from there you'd get the source files of Exaile and follow the instructions which came with them. A hard drive install isn't even necessary for Puppy to do compiling. :) But if I remember correctly?---do make sure that you've got a good SWAPfile partition as compiling can sometimes require a tonne of RAM/SWAP.

This is just basic mind you until someone more knowledgeable comes along, okie? But it does give you an idea that you're on the right track.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

NinerSevenTango

#6 Post by NinerSevenTango »

Eyes-Only,

Thank you for your reply. I think I'll try it.

I like your nick, too. But I don't understand French very well. Does that translate to 'red-skin'?

Au revoir,

--97T--

Eyes-Only

#7 Post by Eyes-Only »

You got it 97T! "L'Peau Rouge" is Akadien (alternate spelling: "Acadien", parent language for "Cajun") and means "Red Skin" or "Native American Indian". Akadien is one of the most-popular variants of French spoken in Maine, USA, and dates back to the early settlers of "Acadia", which in the 15th and 16th Centuries encompassed the now existing areas of Maine, the Maritime Provinces of Canada, and The Gaspe of Quebec Province. :)

I believe you can find more on this subject under the Wikipedia but would more-likely find it under "Acadian" as I prefer the lesser-known variant spelling myself.

Oh yeah!---and I get my first nick from an old Tv series from several years back named "Dark Angel". The character by the same nickname in there and I have something in common (and no, I'm not a computer wizard like him but sure wished it so!).

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

NinerSevenTango

#8 Post by NinerSevenTango »

That's interesting information, Eyes-Only.

OK, well I decided I was going to try to get Exaile compiled and running.

Being a Linux noob, I figured it might be a good way to learn a few things. Just as in Windows, what I learned was not what I thought I was going to learn.

First clue: Exaile is written in Python. First dependency: Python. The Python web page brags about it being compared to Visual Basic. Uh-oh.

First lesson: I find out what dependency hell is really about, trying to track down and download and manually install all kinds of packages, which need all kinds of other packages, and so on, and so on. I get a real appreciation for the meaning of the word recursion.

I blaze ahead anyway - I'm stubborn, and I know how to use Google, and besides it won't hurt me to learn a few command line basics. I'm shuttling between googling man pages, googling for source code, and trying to keep track of the maze I set myself into, when I trip over a reference to a dotpup that allows the use of the Debian installer. Wow, this should make things a lot easier! I install that, and start installing the required packages in .deb format.

But the debian installer itself gets caught in dependency hell. It wants to uninstall packages it just installed, moving from one package to the next. If you tell it to abort the uninstall, it appears to install the package, but then the window hangs and won't quit, and doesn't clean up temp files, I guess. Oh well, I blaze ahead. After some hours it looks like I might have the dependencies installed. So I install the main app, try to run it, and it complains about not having a module that I know I just installed. I uninstall, reinstall, try again. No dice. So I try to reboot, the machine hangs on shutdown. I power the thing off, restart, and Exaile still complains it doesn't have the module. And Puppy still won't shut down. Looks like I blew away something Puppy needs to run (not that I wasn't warned).

I finally give up, and restore the pup-save I made last night. There's nothing like a 5 minute restore to make me really like this operating system!

Lessons learned; There are some things not worth the effort, and Python really is like Visual Basic. But with Visual Basic they make you install the damned dotnet library package, larger than the human genome project. So at least if you convince someone to bloat their machine with the dotnet crap, the app has a chance of running.

I appreciate Puppy lean and mean and fast, so it has become apparent to me that Exaile is not suited for it. All told, I downloaded 118 megabytes of compressed programs and libraries. I think I'll go off in search of another MP3 player that can handle my collection.

Well anyway, I know how to compile from source now, and if the code will run in Puppy, it'll be a good thing to know.

I still wonder whether someone who knows what they are doing could pull this off. Or whether it just wouldn't be worth the effort for them, either.

That's enough blabbermouthing for now, I'll sign off.

Bonsoir,

--97T--

Dougal

#9 Post by Dougal »

I've compiled quite a lot of apps, but I keep well away from Python/Perl based apps.
I consider it extremely bad form to write programs in a scripting language (that's what Python is -- like Bash) and it make it a real big pain, also adding heaps of dependencies (since you need all kinds of additions to make the scripting langauge interact with GTK and all the other libraries.).

There are plenty of other apps to use as a jukebox.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

NinerSevenTango

#10 Post by NinerSevenTango »

Thanks, Dougal. As you can see, even though I spend lots of time reading here, I still seem to get my best lessons the hard way.

The whole thing got started off because I got addicted to the usability of the playlist functions in Exaile, and equally to the dynamic playlist function that connects to last.fm. When I have guests over, if I want something smooth, I start it playing something smooth, and it automatically picks similar music from my own collection. And it keeps going all night like that.

The other music players I've tried let you pick songs and play them. It's a very time consuming process to make static playlists, and I soon tire of them. At least they all play the music, though. And I don't care about skins. But I don't care for the Realplayer style interface. At all.

I'm still searching and installing the different ones. Unfortunately I don't think any of the ones for Puppy will do the last.fm thing. But even if I can't get that, at least I need a playlist function with a little more advanced features than just a long list.

Interesting to learn about Python and Perl, though.

Thanks for your comments,

--97T--

klu9

#11 Post by klu9 »

i'm even less of an expert than most, so this idea might be useless, but here goes...

have you researched using gslapt on puppy? maybe that would be a good way to get all the dependencies resolved for building exaile.

esmourguit

#12 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour à tous,

I 've installed MU' pygtk-2.8.6.pup and exaile_0.2.1.0_i386.deb.
When i run in terminal exaile, i got this :

exaile
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "exaile.py", line 21, in ?
import traceback, sys, gobject
ImportError: No module named gobject

When i run pet package manager it says that all dependancies require are here.
What's wrong?

Cordialement ;)

On Toutou Linux 02-17, Puppy in french.
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]

wow

#13 Post by wow »

You may compile and install pygobject for gtk+-2.8.17 if you want.

Sources:
http://www.pygtk.org/downloads.html

I've tried to compile and install Exaile some time ago but gave up.
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

tempestuous

#14 Post by tempestuous »

I totally agree with Dougal about Python and Perl. They seem to be at odds with Puppy's lean-and-mean philosophy.

XMMS is the benchmark audio player in Linux -
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/xm ... by-Dougal/
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13056

I see that Last.fm requires an "Audioscrobbler" plugin. I just compiled the XMMS version of the audioscrobbler plugin -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 425#134425

And there's a very interesting playlist manager for XMMS here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14222

A highly regarded music jukebox / iTunes equivalent for Linux is Songbird -
http://www.songbirdnest.com/
and it has an audioscrobbler plugin, but the project is only at beta stage. I have been unable to get this to work in Puppy.
The main window launches, but I get an error about "Media Core", even though I installed the gstreamer backend.

esmourguit

#15 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour à tous,
Thanks for your answers.
Cordialement. ;)
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]

Dougal

#16 Post by Dougal »

NinerSevenTango wrote:It's a very time consuming process to make static playlists, and I soon tire of them.
There's actualy a funny app I compiled a while ago named Gjay (Gtk DJ).
It uses math libraries to analize all your audio files (creates a database), then it creates xmms playlists from them to match the length and params you give it...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Pelo

Exaile is provided By the PPM since Precise 5.4.3

#17 Post by Pelo »

Exaile is provided By the PPM since Precise 5.4.3
I added some stuff requested (terminal)
"If you have no Python, and find it is too big too install, you might prefer wxMusik instead: "
That was the choice of our french ToOppy One, a precise 5.4.3 improved by Argolance. But Python has been yet installed on is version of Precise.
Attachments
Blue Jean.jpg
Hazardous, Exaile sometimes works.
(58.12 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
PPM.png
Nothing to add !
(45.72 KiB) Downloaded 39 times