How to modify the file /etc/inittab to disable autologin?

Using applications, configuring, problems
monkeyweb

How to modify the file /etc/inittab to disable autologin?

#1 Post by monkeyweb »

I have modify the file /etc/inittab to disable autologin,i have tweaked some permissions of file to open X as restricted user.
I have simply transform puppy in a multiuser operating system as other linux distro.
I'm the only? Another people use puppy with spot access?

Springer

#2 Post by Springer »

Nathan's Grafpup puplet (if something bigger can be a puplet!) includes multiuser support. Personally, I'd love to see multiuser support in Barry's Puppy before too long. It helps security in the real world, if nothing else...

Scoticus

I use puppy as multiuser operating system

#3 Post by Scoticus »

monkeyweb

Well done. You now have us all interested. Can you please detail exactly what you did step by step so that others can follow what was done?

Tweaking some permissions is too loose terminoligy.

I am in the process of starting a new install and that could suit me very well.

T_Hobbit

#4 Post by T_Hobbit »

I'm on it also

monkeyweb

Step by step

#5 Post by monkeyweb »

Hi,ok i write spep by step the procedure.

1) open terminal to set your password with command "passwd" to change the root password,successively with command "passwd spot" to set the spot password.

2) modify the file /etc/inittab to remove -autologin and other options.
This is my actually file inittab.

::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot

reboot your computer.
login as root with root password.

3) open terminal to type this:
"chown spot /etc/.XLOADED /tmp/currentvideomode /tmp/xerrs.log"
(Note: actually to use puppy as spot you need login as root first at every reboot.)

4)Exit to prompt
type exit
login as spot with your spot password.
type startx
The display is now open as user spot,you can surf the web safely with seamonkey.
User spot can write only in your spot directory,at example download from internet is permit only in the spot directory (/root/spot).
Most program not working as spot because are compiled to use as root,but seamonkey,abiword and others few programs work correctly.
I use puppy as root,but permit my friend surf the web as spot,because is very secure.
Remember type "chown spot /etc/.XLOADED /tmp/currentvideomode /tmp/xerrs.log" in your root terminal at every reboot,if you need open display as spot.
The hystory of the terminal can be recall with upper :arrow:
you don't need remember anything.

Dougal

#6 Post by Dougal »

monkeyweb, it's great that you're doing this -- Nathan started a thread about it in the past, but there was no cooperation...

Note that you'll need to make some more changes. For example: search through the scripts in /sbin and such and replace all instances of "/root" with "$HOME"...

Keep us updated on the things you need to change -- I might make a dotpet to do all this.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

monkeyweb

thanks

#7 Post by monkeyweb »

Thanks!
Guesttoo have write more file permissions in another post in this forum,at example to use sound as spot.
At the moment,i'm not find the way to make this permissions permanently,in this time you need login as root first at every reboot,to make this permissions to user spot,only after spot can open X.
If you create a dotpup for all users,will be appreciated :wink:

monkeyweb

set this permissions permanently

#8 Post by monkeyweb »

You don't have a solution to set this permissions permanently?
All linux distro permit restricted user access,without login as root first.

Farwater

#9 Post by Farwater »

Hey, guys!

I guess, my reply will be an off-topic, however I couldn't find the new one to continue describing the solution proposed by monkeyweb. What I wanted to show here is how to extend his idea to actually use all the programs like openoffice or sound mixer. This is what I'm currently using on my puppy.

# Create a decent home directory for spot
mkdir /home/spot
# Copy the user profile from a root's template
cp /root/* /hоmе/spot/
# In /etc/init.d let's create an inituserspot script to initialize
# the permissions for spot every time we boot up
echo "echo ' ' > /tmp/xerrs.log chown -Rh spot /tmp ; chown spot /etc/.XLOADED; chown -Rh spot /home/spot" > /etc/init.d/inituserspot
# Don't forget to make the script executable, of course
chmod 755 /etc/init.d/inituserspot

And finally reboot and login as a spot into a complete, but still secure working environment.

With this simple setup spot can work pretty much with all the programs installed in the system and modify any files in his directory and in /tmp/. What he can NOT is summarized below:

1. Modify the files in the directories which are not his, unless he was allowed explicitly.
2. Install/uninstall programs.
3. Mount/umount file systems.
4. Start xterm or rxvt. ( although, he can leave X to a command line).
5. Switch off/reboot the system.

That's pretty much it.

PS: If you think that there is more appropriate topic for this post, please notify me to remove it from here and post it there. An additional sorry in the case if this is already outdated :(

Farwater

#10 Post by Farwater »

OK, I guess, it could be better to move mo previous message to Nathan's topic about multiuser puppy.