How to download & install Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
farid

How to download & install Puppy?

#1 Post by farid »

I want to download and install Puppy 2.17.1 on my hard disk which contains Windows XP and Kubuntu.
Please advise is the mdsum is also to be downloaded alongwith Puppy. I will use Windows for downloading and then burn to cd.
Being relatively new with Linux, I would appreciate instructions as to how to doenload and install.
Thanks,
Farid,
Karachi, Pakistan

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Forget the md5 checksum. You don't really need it unless you suspect that the iso is corrupted.

As to installing Puppy, I recommend that you use it for a while from the live CD before you install it to your hard disk drive. That way, you don't have to worry so much about messing anything up while you learn about Puppy. Just download whichever Puppy iso you prefer (I recommend 2.17.1). Most any burning program should be able to burn a bootable CD with the iso. The key is to find the option that burns a bootable CD or DVD. A DVD+RW works best, but any sort of optical disk will do if it is new or blanked. Give it a try and if you have any problems just ask for help here in the forum. Be sure to tell us in some detail what you tried and what happened.

jonyo

#3 Post by jonyo »

Don't need to (but can) dwld the md5, but need the #s to check & best to do so. Running live CD with a save file is much easier to start with and pup runs way faster that way than most OSs out there run period. Takes me a few minutes to set up a pup OS this way good to go wifi, :) on top of other OSs already installed on the HD.

This http://www.nero.com/enu/Nero_MD5_Verifier.html works great in win to check md5.

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Flash wrote:Forget the md5 checksum. You don't really need it unless you suspect that the iso is corrupted.
I tend to agree with that. If the ftp.server is reliable as in ibiblio and the byte size is the same, I've yet to find a bad md5sum

What I think is more appropriate is running an md5sum against the burned cd and the sum in md5sum file. Then you know things match bit for bit.

Bruce B

Re: How to download & install Puppy?

#5 Post by Bruce B »

farid wrote:
{text cut}

Being relatively new with Linux, I would appreciate instructions as to how to doenload and install.
Thanks,
Farid,
Karachi, Pakistan
Puppy does not do any partitioning for you. But it does have the tools to work with.

The way you partition your drive is largely determined by the installation type you want to install.

There are two basic installation types.

1) Frugal AKA co-exist

2) Normal AKA option 2

Frugal will use about 120 MB base RAM to install, normal will use about 32.

If you have about 256 MB RAM I suggest you use frugal to get the feel for Puppy. Install it on your Kbuntu partition if you have room (somewhere around 500 to 700 MB would be good. This way you can become familiar with Puppy and not bother with partitioning.

Booting Puppy is a different aspect of the install process. I won't advise before you explain with some specificity how you are currently dual booting.

Awaiting your reply.

Bruce

PaulBx1

#6 Post by PaulBx1 »

Forget the md5 checksum.
I disagree. It is well worth doing this check because once you have your routine down it takes only a second to complete it. The infrastructure in Pakistan might not be as good as in the US. You can waste a lot of time fooling around with bad downloads. The checksum is there for a reason.

Unfortunately the md5 program that is supposed to run under Windows (the recipe on the main download page) does not work for me, last time I tried it, and I don't know why that does not get fixed. :roll: I always run "md5sum -c" under Puppy from the console, which of course assumes you have a working Puppy in the first place. Well, these guys assume that, every time you download; not just on the first time like I am doing...

I'd stay away from a full install especially if you are keeping windows too. Certainly if you are investigating Puppy. Boot from CD all the time, many of us stay there and it is the most reliable option. No need to fool around with bootloaders, mess with your mbr or other headaches like that.

jonyo

#7 Post by jonyo »

Bruce B wrote:What I think is more appropriate is running an md5sum against the burned cd and the sum in md5sum file. Then you know things match bit for bit.m
Wondered about this & never tried it yet, but will now. Thought the md5 applied to the ISO only. Same deal with a zip file? Md5 should be the same both ways, zip & unzipped? Rar?

PaulBx1

#8 Post by PaulBx1 »

Well, burncdcc at least has a direct read and compare against the original ISO (well worth selecting this option) so no md5sum is needed on that step. Can't hurt though...

Bruce B

#9 Post by Bruce B »

jonyo,

If the md5sum check matches the .md5 file and the burned cd disc - it matches all the way from start to finish.

running md5sum on the .iso tells you got a good download and its okay to burn

I've had more problems with burns than with downloads. Usually if a download goes bad, I'm aware of it. In any event, I've not found any downloads with byte matches where the sums don't match (yet).

try this for checking most data cds

# md5sum /dev/hdb

where hdb is your cdrom drive and it is not mounted.

Bruce

Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

PaulBx1 wrote: I'd stay away from a full install especially if you are keeping windows too. Certainly if you are investigating Puppy. Boot from CD all the time, many of us stay there and it is the most reliable option. No need to fool around with bootloaders, mess with your mbr or other headaches like that.
Sounds like solid advice to me.

But it doesn't factor in many people's need to tinker, confuse themselves, escape intimacy with their wife or wives as the case may be, mess things up, participate in forums making others divine what they messed up, complicate the simple, screw their computers up, learn new things, practice building computerized Rube Goldberg devices and pretend we are making a difference against the Evil Empire (which we probably are).

Why else would people take a small distro and keep adding packages until they have a medium sized distro, when they could have installed a medium sized distro to begin with?

alienjeff

#11 Post by alienjeff »

Flash wrote:Forget the md5 checksum. You don't really need it unless you suspect that the iso is corrupted.
This is terrible advice.

-aj
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

Well, exceuwse me. :lol:

All I know is that I've never once bothered with the md5 check sum, yet Puppy has always worked for me when I burn a DVD+RW and boot it.

alienjeff

#13 Post by alienjeff »

Flash wrote:All I know is that I've never once bothered with the md5 check sum, yet Puppy has always worked for me when I burn a DVD+RW and boot it.
So that's really all you know, eh? Suspicions confirmed!

Just curious: do you bother to verify your CD/DVD burns? How about checking the gap on spark plugs before sticking them in the engine? Eschew measuring cups, rulers and micrometers, too?
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

HairyWill

#14 Post by HairyWill »

Bruce B wrote:Sounds like solid advice to me.
I agree.
The forum is carpeted with people with grub and other boot problems.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO INSTALL..

If you have a CD drive that you can boot from, then this is by far the simplest solution. All that gets written to disk is a single file, the pup_save.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

jonyo

#15 Post by jonyo »

alienjeff wrote:
This is terrible advice.

-aj
He didn't say it was advice. More conclusions.. :roll:

Came across to me that good bet he has no probs, of any significance burning an iso & running pup, hence can't be bothered with md5. Works for him & so what. :) I haven't bothered with it much either. Terrible? Other things strike me as much more than terrible..

Diff strokes for diff folks..

By all means, if wanting to md5, pulling out micrometers & gapping sparkplugs :) & it works for you, good.

Btw, lovely avatar..:lol:

pupshock

#16 Post by pupshock »

HairyWill wrote:
Bruce B wrote:Sounds like solid advice to me.
I agree.
The forum is carpeted with people with grub and other boot problems.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO INSTALL..

If you have a CD drive that you can boot from, then this is by far the simplest solution. All that gets written to disk is a single file, the pup_save.

That doesnt appeal to me. Nothing beats the convenience of having Puppy on the HD and not having to shuffle the CD in & out of the drive.
What works for me is booting from:
- HD full install if kissing malware from Redmond goodbye
- HD frugal install if dual-booting (and don't ever mess with the MBR)
- CD if "just playin' around".

While i appreciate the simplicity of booting from CD,
the fact that the forum is carpeted with people who have problems with booting from HD suggests HD installation is a real need.
Perhaps a more constructive approach is to improve the HD installer?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

Farid, are you still with us? :)

PaulBx1

#18 Post by PaulBx1 »

Nothing beats the convenience of having Puppy on the HD and not having to shuffle the CD in & out of the drive.
What's to shuffle? Mine just stays there. I open the drawer if I want Windows, close it for Puppy. Oh, I guess if you like to play music CDs when you work, it is a shuffle. I never could understand how anyone could work that way though. Anyway there are walkmans for that. And mp3 players and the like.

What works for me is booting from:
- CD if kissing malware from Redmond goodbye
- CD if dual-booting (and don't ever mess with the MBR)
- CD if "just playin' around".

:lol:
the fact that the forum is carpeted with people who have problems with booting from HD suggests HD installation is a real need.
No doubt. But not for newbies...

blakamin

#19 Post by blakamin »

PaulBx1 wrote:
No doubt. But not for newbies...
Why?

I have a second machine and it's very old... I would like to run puppy on it but the cd-rom drive is nearly had it... I would prefer a HDD install...

Having some probs tho. gparted wont find any drives. :?

I'll get there eventually, but I know I'd prefer a HDD install to booting off my dodgy CD drive everytime :P

joopyhellspawn

#20 Post by joopyhellspawn »

ok, lets assume for some reason I do want to check the mdsum. in puppy, how do I do it?