puppy, hylafax, and installing apps from sources....

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
3_jeeps

puppy, hylafax, and installing apps from sources....

#1 Post by 3_jeeps »

Hi All:

Here is the background: I am contemplating running a HDD install of puppy and want to run hylafax (a fax server) under puppu. Target platform is a 133mhz laptop with 80 MB RAM and 30 gb HD (4-8 gb partitions.)

q1: has anybody configured hylafax under puppy? If so, please provide me with some details..

My task: I assume the answer is 'NO' to q1, so I plan on doing it, which means getting the hylafax src, and building it from scratch. Now I need to ask specific questions:

q2: Do any of the following come with puppy? if not, which of the following can be installed under puppy (fairly easily): gcc, libg++, libtiff, ghostscript, awk, sendmail(or metamail)?

q3: What is the procedure/guidelines for building an application that will run under puppy?

q4: How does one check the presence of an application that hylafax needs? For example, with RH/FC, typing 'rpm program_name' will tell if the program is installed.

q5: Are installers such as apt-get or dpkg installed and work in puppy?

Thanks for feedback on any of these questions.
J

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

yo compile for puppy you need to download the compile squashfs file for your pupversion. e.g. for pup2.17 it's:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... vx_217.sfs

if you save this file to /mnt/home, then when you reboot, typing gcc -v should give the the version. as to hylafax, if you search the forum the idea has been suggested a few times, but nothing has eventuated.

libtiff, awk & ghostscript are all in the latest pups, don't know of sendmail or libg++.

as an alternative that might be easier, have you considered efax? it has several gui front-ends available:

http://www.cce.com/efax/relatedsoftware.html

3_jeeps

some additional questions....

#3 Post by 3_jeeps »

muggins wrote:yo compile for puppy you need to download the compile squashfs file for your pupversion. e.g. for pup2.17 it's:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... vx_217.sfs

if you save this file to /mnt/home, then when you reboot, typing gcc -v should give the the version.
OK, does this provide the full C compiler + libraries??
as to hylafax, if you search the forum the idea has been suggested a few times, but nothing has eventuated.
Thanks, I did, and it appears that it was not successfully accomplished...If it was, I would appreciate hearing about it.....
libtiff, awk & ghostscript are all in the latest pups, don't know of sendmail or libg++.
What is the procedure for installing a program such as sendmail under puppy?
as an alternative that might be easier, have you considered efax? it has several gui front-ends available:

http://www.cce.com/efax/relatedsoftware.html
Thanks for the pointer - I considered efax, but it seems to be a little lightweight for what I need. I want to both email to a recipient the FAX that has been received, as well as send an email that contains the doc to the FAX server and have it dial and send the FAX.
-J

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

i'm not sure about sendmail...if it's written in c/c++ then i suppose installation would entail ./configure && make && make install.

hushpuppy

#5 Post by hushpuppy »

Re Hylafax :-

I've not installed Hylafax on Puppy, but remember compiling & using it on RedHat some years ago, RedHat 7.1 if i remember correctly.

I even wrote some windows software to talk to it, and installed it on a local companies network.

I might be able to help configure it if you need help, i'm sure it will come back to me. :)

Dont remember any special compiler needs, but do remember it used to be a bit of a pain to get working correctly.