2.17 Universal Installer feedback needed

Please post any bugs you have found
Sage

#41 Post by Sage »

Clearly too much screwing going on in the USA!

Sit Heel Speak

#42 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Wyoming, Dick Cheney's home turf. Where men are men, and sheep are nervous.

nic2109

PUI - experience with BK Mk 2

#43 Post by nic2109 »

BarryK wrote:Have made a few more improvements.
This DOES represent an improvement as this version suggests a placement for GRUB; which has always been blank before.

Unfortunately the resulting installation still fails: it boots but X won't start and I am left with the # prompt.

I'm guessing that this is self-inflicted as I have 3 partitions all with Puppy on - in various states - with a couple of pup_save files too, and this seems to give PUI no end of problems.

The resulting menu.lst has all 3 entries, two of which give Error 15 File not found and the 3rd boots to the # prompt! :oops:

I'm considering trashing it ALL and starting again, but feel sure that this shouldn't really be necessary as it boots fine from CD and picks up a pup_save too and so runs just as I like. If only I could get it to install like that all would be well.

edoc

#44 Post by edoc »

BarryK wrote:Have made a few more improvements.
I have downloaded and saved this to /mnt/hda1/root/my-downloads
the decompressed it.

I don't see where the decompressed app went so I do not know how to proceed.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

BarryK
Puppy Master

#45 Post by BarryK »

Here's the latest, as used in 2.17.1rc.

Download somewhere, then open a terminal in that directory, then
type this (not the #):
# gunzip puppyinstaller-bk3.gz
# chmod 777 puppyinstaller-bk3
# ./puppyinstaller-bk3
Attachments
puppyinstaller-bk3.gz
(14.5 KiB) Downloaded 521 times

edoc

#46 Post by edoc »

BarryK wrote:Here's the latest, as used in 2.17.1rc.

Download somewhere, then open a terminal in that directory, then
type this (not the #):
# gunzip puppyinstaller-bk3.gz
# chmod 777 puppyinstaller-bk3
# ./puppyinstaller-bk3
I walked through all of the steps ...
still get the Error 15 here.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

#47 Post by edoc »

Which log file should I post so someone can spot where my laptop is
finding and loading 216, please?

I have deleted every reference I can find to 216 and all of the displayed
boot text says it is loading 217 but I still end up in the broken 216.

It is driving me nuts ... and more importantly it is preventing productivity.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Sit Heel Speak

#48 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

1. Hooray, puppyinstaller-bk3 ejects the live-DVD!

2. I didn't try the GRUB installation, I just clicked through the "X" close buttons until no more appeared, because I have a pre-existing GRUB installation (Grub4DOS).

2. Umm, but the DVD door is not automatically closed when I reboot.

3. Urk. Unlike with the original PUI from the 2.17 (not .1rc) live-DVD, the full (normal) install from puppyinstaller-bk3 on first disk-boot asks again for locale, puts me through xorgwizard, and needs the NIC and network IP settings reconfigured. In other words, on first disk-boot Puppy isn't reading the pup_save.2fs which I created upon shutting down the initial live-DVD boot. Yes, pup_save.2fs is present in / and its timestamp is correct.

4. On second disk-boot, the locale and xorg settings are not asked for, i.e. pup_save.2fs evidently is being read, but the network IP addresses once again must be reconfigured. The first disk-boot session is not saving them to pup_save.2fs. So, I entered the net stuff again in the Wizard and Seamonkey.

5. On third disk-boot, all ist in ordnung with locale, xorg settings, and network card module and IP addresses.

6. A nit, the "NORMAL" button (option 2) is on the left, the "COEXIST" button (option 1) is on the right. Oy vey! To a native English speaker this looks backward.

Dougal

#49 Post by Dougal »

Joe_DK wrote:I erased partition hda1 and created a new ext2 on hda1.
hda1,2,3,6 now appears in P.U.I.

I instal a puppy co-exist on hda1, don't install grub.
hda1,2,3,6 shows in P.U.I

I instal GRUB on SUPERBLOCK of hda1.
HDA1 IS now GONE in P.U.I. Only hda2,3,6 shows.
According to the list of changes at the top of my modified installer, that bug was fixed on May 10th. The installer in Puppy is simply not based on my letest version (available on the "Updated Universal Installer" thread).
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

edoc

#50 Post by edoc »

Dougal wrote:
According to the list of changes at the top of my modified installer, that bug was fixed on May 10th. The installer in Puppy is simply not based on my letest version (available on the "Updated Universal Installer" thread).
Could you post the thread # or the URL, please?

EDIT: OOOPS! Is it this one?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 020#132020

I am among many who are trying to sort out problems we are having
with the 2.17 Frugal update install and am trying to find answers across
multiple threads ... it is challenging to say the least!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#51 Post by BarryK »

Dougal wrote:
Joe_DK wrote:I erased partition hda1 and created a new ext2 on hda1.
hda1,2,3,6 now appears in P.U.I.

I instal a puppy co-exist on hda1, don't install grub.
hda1,2,3,6 shows in P.U.I

I instal GRUB on SUPERBLOCK of hda1.
HDA1 IS now GONE in P.U.I. Only hda2,3,6 shows.
Joe_DK posted a message after that, that all his partitions had become visible, using puppyinstaller-bk1.

puppyinstaller-bk1 - puppyinstaller-bk3 are very different from the latest posted by Dougal. I took out the automatic Grub stuff, and put in instructions for manual editing of menu.lst. The auto stuff may come back in the future. There are many other differences.

From all reports so far, puppyinstaller-bk3 is working fine.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#52 Post by BarryK »

Sit Heel Speak wrote: 3. Urk. Unlike with the original PUI from the 2.17 (not .1rc) live-DVD, the full (normal) install from puppyinstaller-bk3 on first disk-boot asks again for locale, puts me through xorgwizard, and needs the NIC and network IP settings reconfigured. In other words, on first disk-boot Puppy isn't reading the pup_save.2fs which I created upon shutting down the initial live-DVD boot. Yes, pup_save.2fs is present in / and its timestamp is correct.

4. On second disk-boot, the locale and xorg settings are not asked for, i.e. pup_save.2fs evidently is being read, but the network IP addresses once again must be reconfigured. The first disk-boot session is not saving them to pup_save.2fs. So, I entered the net stuff again in the Wizard and Seamonkey.

5. On third disk-boot, all ist in ordnung with locale, xorg settings, and network card module and IP addresses.
"Urk. Unlike with the original PUI from the 2.17 (not .1rc) live-DVD"
....Your booting issues have nothing to do with the Universal Installer itself.

Sit Heel Speak

#53 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Ah, I see. This is yet one more reason why I must learn shell scripting. So I can actually hold intelligent conversation with Barry, Dougal, GuestToo, et al...

BarryK
Puppy Master

#54 Post by BarryK »

Sit Heel Speak,
Your feedback is very useful! I was very tired when I posted that last response. From your tester point of view, your comments are perfectly valid and quite intelligent.
Full install is very neglected. The install itself seems basically okay, but the bootup scripts are seeing something different. I did a test full install, and also got that xorgwizard problem. I didn't test the network or anything else. Regarding the xorg wizard needing to be repeated on second boot, I haven't got a clue why. ...it's no doubt some simple little thing, something is or is not being saved on the first boot.

Sit Heel Speak

#55 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

BarryK wrote:Sit Heel Speak...From your tester point of view, your comments are perfectly valid and quite intelligent...
I was simply declaring war on my own ignorance. It does not sit well with my ego to remain a patient, when I grasp the essentials well enough now to become a doctor.

Sage

#56 Post by Sage »

Don't worry about it, SHS, there's always plenty of folks much further down the tracks! You can always speak to me in the Queen's English.......

jhecht

#57 Post by jhecht »

This is a description of a (different) consistent bug I found w/the PUI in 2.17.

I had a computer with a 3.4 gig HD set up with Puppy 2.14 on HDA. Only two partitions on HDA, Linux and a swap partition, but two other HD's in the computer as HDB1 and HDD1. Also have a cd-rw drive as HDC1. All the HD's are elderly IDE - no SATA, no SCSI.

Previously, I had partitioned the 3.4 gig drive with a Linux swap partition at the FRONT (beginning) of the drive, followed by an Ext 2 partition for Puppy 2.14.

When I tried to use the PUI, it kept trying to install in the swap partion on HDA1, and did NOT give me the option to go onto HDA2.

This seems consistent - the PUI wants to install on the first partion.

I just wiped the drive, and re-partioned with GParted, putting the swap
partition at the REAR (end) of HDA1, as HDA2. This worked fine, since by reversing the position(s) of the partions, I worked around the PUI's stubborn desire to install on the first partition.

After that, the installation was flawless!

Hope this helps...
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline

bobwrit

#58 Post by bobwrit »

BarryK wrote:Sit Heel Speak,
Your feedback is very useful! I was very tired when I posted that last response. From your tester point of view, your comments are perfectly valid and quite intelligent.
Full install is very neglected. The install itself seems basically okay, but the bootup scripts are seeing something different. I did a test full install, and also got that xorgwizard problem. I didn't test the network or anything else. Regarding the xorg wizard needing to be repeated on second boot, I haven't got a clue why. ...it's no doubt some simple little thing, something is or is not being saved on the first boot.
the xorg wizard problem your refering to dosn't happen when i install puppy(i only do full HD installs, just one of my prefrences.) but the problem i have (sound, updates, certain partitions) appear.
I need help with my forum. [b][u]LINK:[/u][/b][url]http://www.programers.co.nr/[/url]
[url]http://www.freewebs.com/programm/iframe.html[/url] is my gateway page...

Sit Heel Speak

#59 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown should not offer to create a pup_save.2fs, in the case where Puppy Universal Installer has just been used to create a "normal" hdd install. If upon shutdown from the live-CD you say yes, create a pup_save, having just finished using PUI to make a "normal" install, the pup_save is placed on the "normal" install partition in /. The unfortunate thing then is, when the "normal" install is subsequently booted-into, the pup_save.2fs therein is indeed mounted; PUPSTATE is even written into it. This may confuse the average dummy (ahem *cough*yours truly*cough*) into believing that the pup_save works in the "normal" install as it does in the "coexist."

Sit Heel Speak

#60 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Aaaand, a craftsmanship quibble: PUI SANITY CHECK is making reference to pup_save.3fs rather than .2fs.