27%
Rasterpax original
50%
Square rasterpax with ears
17%

Total votes: 30

Leon

#141 Post by Leon »

MGFox wrote:To Barry K: bigger images of Vincent.
Congratulations, MGFox!
These are the best candidates for Puppy logo I ever saw.
Simple picture of the whole body not only the head, without any background or reflection.
I hope that Barry will not cut anything if he accept one of them for the new logo.

eob

#142 Post by eob »

I love RasterPax work, seriously. I'm thinking of hiring him to give me a new logo for www.octane.ie

MGFox

#143 Post by MGFox »

Some like the Rastapax's work, some said it looks cartoonish or clownish.
And it look best in a square but don't fit well in a circle.

Some like the Paw, yet some like Vincent face.
What if we join the two... like this? (see attached "Vincent on Paw")

Then some will say it looks like Vincent on a flower?
Well, we have a previous logo that show a puppy brings a flower, right?

How about Vincent on a frisbee? Reminding people to "Retire your other Live-CD's to frisbees
because this Puppy is all you'll need". (see second picture)

Then some will say it looks like PCLinuxOS logo?
Well, PCLOS is one of the good looking distro anyway.

It's hard to please everybody.....
Attachments
Vincent_Paw_Frisbee.png
(26.62 KiB) Downloaded 1056 times

MGFox

#144 Post by MGFox »

Here's the leaflet with "Retire your other Live-CD's to frisbees because this Puppy is all you'll need" slogan.

yorkiesnorkie

#145 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

MGFox wrote:Some like the Paw, yet some like Vincent face.
What if we join the two... like this? (see attached "Vincent on Paw")

It's hard to please everybody.....
Hi MGFox,

I wouldn't worry about trying to please everyone. If anything's been proved here its that Puppy is what you make of it. If nothing else the addition of new Puppy art is nothing short of great!

I like the one with the paw behind it. Interesting combination. What about making the paw itself a negative space, with the surrounding area another colour or tint?

I do think though that any logo (as opposed to a button) will probably need some text with it to que the un-initiated that the product (so to speak) is Puppy linux. Otherwise its just a cute dog.

Yorkiesnorkie

yorkiesnorkie

How about...

#146 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

This... dog, flower, paw, text...

http://www.puppylinux.org/user/photogal ... ?photo=310

Yorkiesnorkie
:-)

keithcleaver

#147 Post by keithcleaver »

Hi all.

I think these logos are fantastic, and I wanted to create some wallpapers using some of these to promote Puppy. Is this OK?

Thanks

WhoDo

#148 Post by WhoDo »

keithcleaver wrote:I think these logos are fantastic, and I wanted to create some wallpapers using some of these to promote Puppy. Is this OK?
According to the Puppy Project guidelines, everything contributed here is automatically GPL, so knock yourself out! :P
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

MGFox

#149 Post by MGFox »

To Eyes-Only, WHoDo, Henry, keithcleaver: Maybe this variation of Vincent will bring more ideas.

yorkiesnorkie

#150 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

I like the one with the frisbee :-) In the spirit of having a little fun...

I put them in the puppylinux.org gallery if anyone wants them.

Yorkiesnorkie

keithcleaver

#151 Post by keithcleaver »

yorkiesnorkie wrote:I like the one with the frisbee :-) In the spirit of having a little fun...

I put them in the puppylinux.org gallery if anyone wants them.

Yorkiesnorkie
I personally love the top 2, thy're just what we're looking for IMO.

I'll get some wallpapers together and post them here soon.

yorkiesnorkie

#152 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi Keith,

Glad you like them, I was trying to figure out another way of using a paw. Some more fun, homage to Rasterpax!

Yorkiesnorkie

afgs

#153 Post by afgs »

I second to keithcleaver, I like what yorkiesnorkie did to MGFox's version of Vincent especially the top one.

I have made a variation of it. I made the Paw move slightly to the center of the circle, so it's not so heavily cropped. I also moved the text into the circle, and bigger Vincent. Yet I think the text a bit small, especially if you want to scale down the logo. It's position also a bit uncomfortable to read. If I rotate the whole picture anti-clockwise, the text will be more comfortable to read but the Paw and Vincent's face position will be affected.

So I made another version with MGFox's Vincent and the Paw with bigger text. However, the Paw is small.
Attachments
Vincent logo.png
(61.81 KiB) Downloaded 1330 times

WhoDo

#154 Post by WhoDo »

afgs wrote:I made another version with MGFox's Vincent and the Paw with bigger text. However, the Paw is small.
I like that one, too! Vincent climbing all over the text and the paw punctuating the i in Linux. Good job, afgs.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

yorkiesnorkie

#155 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi afgs,

As you noted the reason the text on your left example is harder to read is that the kearning is too tight, thats the space between the letters. You can try adding 1 or 2 points between the letters or reducing the size of the font somewhat. I had to do the same thing to make what I did more readable.

I think what we probably need is a bunch of images for different purposes. We've got some really nice buttons, icons, and so on here. The Puppy Logo would probably not be less than 1 inch or so, for paper, display and so on, but the buttons/icons would be reduced to fit the circumstance. As long as the text displays well beside whatever is chosen as a logo, text could be added to any of the images here.

As you noted in your example there's a bit of font compression due to the space restriction, which is why I chose to put the text on the outside when I was tinkering with it. Your font might be a bit wide/large as well for the space inside. In the one I did the font was sans serif as well. I'm not too sure how familiar you are with type but serifs are those flourishes on the ends of the letters in the font you used. If you tried a sans serif, something like Arial or AvantGarde, it might be a bit more clear. I tried upper and lower case as well, but ended up with all upper case letters as being the most distinct. I've found it's hard to get text to wrap around a circle nicely.

I'm new to linux so, is there actually a symbol for the word "Linux"? Anyone know? I've been using the text Puppy Linux or PUPPY LINUX. I still think we need to have that text with the image.

Your example on the right is very nice. I like the paws over the letters at the top and the paw print as the dot of the "i" In that example the serif font serves it very well. Cool!

Yorkiesnorkie

yorkiesnorkie

#156 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

Hi All,

I had a thought that maybe Puppy is not so much defined by some specific image as by a specification. You could say something like, a Puppy logo is an image of a playful dog or dog's head, and/or a pawprint, and the text "Puppy Linux", "Puppy". Something like that leaving it open for people to create anything they like.

I was thinking too that maybe what your really looking for is a base set of imagery for the Puppy presence, A printable CD label, a basic logo, a deskop background, some icon for the program/start menu, and a themed set of puppy specific gtk icons/buttons etc. I know thats a bigger bite of the cookie than just a logo, but I was looking over a lot of what all the creative people here have contributed, and its potential is much more than just a simple logo.

Yorkiesnorkie

gdemonta

#157 Post by gdemonta »

Hi everybody,
Maybe it's time to make a decision in order to start the new website, what do you think?
Even though few people voted, it looks like rastapax original has the preference. I wonder what Barry think about the rastapax logo? He should give the final word, doesn't he?
[color=blue]Dumbledore: "The evidence of the Dark Lord's return is incontrovertible"[/color]
IBM X31 - Puppy 2.16 Hard disk install with EZpup

raffy

tux

#158 Post by raffy »

Yorkiesnorkie:
is there actually a symbol for the word "Linux"?
It is Tux, the penguin: http://isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#159 Post by Lobster »

:) Deploy images you like (that is my solution)

So I needed a colourful Puppy image here
http://tmxxine.com/Wikka/wikka.php?wakka=DistroCreate

Which one did I use? Letters in an email to the usual address . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

yorkiesnorkie

#160 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

More fun, I was trying to think of different ways of using a paw, although I do like the doggy stuff the most. :-)