Satellite internet questions

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Fiberflinger

Satellite internet questions

#1 Post by Fiberflinger »

We have been told by our ISP that it will no longer be serving our area and instead of picking another slllooooww dialup we are considering wildblue satelite.

Hubby is under the assumption that I can't use linux on the feed. . . Any feedback here.

Must I go back to doze?

FF

mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

#2 Post by mbutts »

I have a friend that got Wildblue and Puppy worked fine with it. When we plugged in the Lan cable to the router it only took a couple seconds to set up. I wasn't sure if it would work at first, it took the tech quite a while to get Windows XP to work with it...... go figure. Speed is pretty good. I was told that they will not over sell subscriptions on a satellite transponder so some areas there have been waiting lists for getting hooked up. I think we tried both 2.14 and 2.15 CE on it.
Penguin, the OTHER white meat.
[url=http://www.puppyos.com][img]http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5563/yxudnslbsx1jpglx3.png[/img][/url][img]http://i18.tinypic.com/2wd7o80.gif[/img]

Fiberflinger

#3 Post by Fiberflinger »

Hey, thankx. We ran across rumors of some people are starting to get a class action suit for breach of contract, it sounds like a bait and swithch situation. Good for the first 30 days then the guarantee runs out and service is nada.

Anybody do Socket.net

FF

cb88

#4 Post by cb88 »

what about wi-max (loong range wi fi) you could share a high speed connection with somebody if there is a large enough city with 12-15 mi (maybe less never use wireless)
the hardware might not cost more than satelite

cb88

Fiberflinger

#5 Post by Fiberflinger »

ha,
ha, ha,
ha, ha, ha,
ha, ha, ha, ha
ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,
ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,

John Doe

#6 Post by John Doe »

you must live WAY out there!

i have a friend like that in alabama who gets ~14.4k connection over dialup (if lucky).

Fiberflinger

#7 Post by Fiberflinger »

Ever see the movie Deliverance? The one witht he dueling banjo's. Thats where I live.

FF

cb88

#8 Post by cb88 »

sorry to here you live soooo..... far out although living in the country does have a few benefits. I have never lived quite as far out as you.

you could lay a fiber optic cable from the big city to you and charge for acess to your extra bandwidth to make up for the cost :-)

cb88

Fiberflinger

#9 Post by Fiberflinger »

cb88 wrote: you could lay a fiber optic cable from the big city to you and charge for acess to your extra bandwidth to make up for the cost :-)cb88
Are you kidding? I don't even know of anyone else around here that has a computer.

cb88

#10 Post by cb88 »

of course i was kidding :-)

ezeze5000

re-satellite internet

#11 Post by ezeze5000 »

I have been using Wild Blue for over a year now.
I have a Linksys router hooked up, and I run puppy and other
OS's Ubuntu, SuSe, XP, Vista, etc.....

Puppy runs just fine (I using puppy right now) on Wild Blue.

I hope this helps.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

eriefisher

Sattlite

#12 Post by eriefisher »

I use Xplornet in my area. Also a satellite service. They advertise 512k down but the best I have ever seen it is about 60-65. I average around 35-40.

The connection is the same as any broadband modem so you shouldn't have any trouble connecting. I found that the service is very very reliant on the weather. A little fog or cloud and the signal drops considerably. If there is a storm, you get no service.

It's still better than dial up.

eriefisher