EEPROM Problem

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
DavidBell

EEPROM Problem

#1 Post by DavidBell »

I'm trying to get my touchscreen working, but it's not finding it's eeprom where it stores it's calibrations.

In Xorg the device is called tkpanel, and in the messages log it's looking for it's eeprom in a file called /etc/tpanel.rom/tkpanel0.rom. I created a blank file for it but it's still not happy, because the checksum doesn't work etc.

Is /etc/tpanel.rom/tkpanel0.rom supposed to be a symlink to the panel ROM, like /dev/tty01 is a link to COM1? If so can anyone suggest how I could make it manually? Alternatively if I can just figure out what it's looking for, would a normal text file work there (looks like it would from the source)

TIA DB

karlis

same touchscreen problem

#2 Post by karlis »

I'm having the same problem, the utils keep reporting bad eeprom. Anyone have any solutions? This board is the only mention of this problem I can find on the net.

craftybytes

#3 Post by craftybytes »

Which model touchscreen(s)..?

Have you loaded the relevant Linux drivers for your touchscreen..?

When I 'google' for - "tkpanel" - I get thousands of hits telling me that it is tk/tcl application that is similar to the 'task bar' at the bottom of the screen BUT more functions are available..!!

Maybe Xorg is getting confused - so is defaulting to - 'tkpanel' as the closest app it can find..??

When I 'google' for - "tpanel touch driver Linux" - i get 1.2 million hits - various touchscreen panel drivers/models/etc.. - so maybe you need to check which driver(s) / config(s) your particular panels require..!!

Just a thought..

crafty.
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

karlis

bad eeprom, solved

#4 Post by karlis »

OK, the bad eeprom thing means you're connecting to a port that doesn't have a touchscreen on it. You'll notice if you just pick a any device,
/dev/ttys7 (or whatever), you'll get the "bad eeprom" message.
If the device node doesn't exist, you'll get "E not found",
and if there's nothing connected to the device node, you'll get either
"E not char device" or
"E open failed"

in any case, try command "lsusb" and make sure the touchscreen is on your usb bus, you can try "watch lsusb" and unplug all your other usb devices, and see if something is left. Our problem was a bad usb connection, so there was no touchscreen to connect to. When we fixed the problem, lsusb shows:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0eef:0001 D-WAV Scientific Co., Ltd

One more thing, now that the device is working, there appears to be no /etc/tpanel.rom/, so I don't know what that's all about.

Maybe this helps somebody.