WakePup2 for Puppy 2.x and greater (NOW WITH more SUPPORT)

Using applications, configuring, problems
John Doe

#41 Post by John Doe »

thanks for the bump, sorry on the delay.
PaulBx1 wrote:John, your md5sum there is wrong.
thanks. try again (it's updated). i got burnt out and frustrated on it so i went out and picked some mushrooms and got a fishing license to clear my head.
PaulBx1 wrote:For what it's worth, that rearrangement of the usbstoragecompletionfunc...
thanks (i'll have to actually look at it sometime). i just tested for problems on my machine configurations and didnt' find any.

John Doe

#42 Post by John Doe »

PaulBx1 wrote:I take it, from the way you described the implementation, that there is no way for the program to automatically put that boot parameter in if the device is on a pcmcia card. Too bad...
perhaps i explained wrong or didn't understand my options at the time.

it should work now for anyone...

one must use "Custom" under 'boot mode'. assuming that usbflash is chosen for the user as "Boot Media". one may need to select 6 first to change the "Boot Media" and then choose "Custom" under 'boot mode'.

let me know how it goes.

PaulBx1

#43 Post by PaulBx1 »

Didn't work.

My flash boots fine on the 1.1 port using "Normal". When I plug it into the 2.0 port on the card, it doesn't matter if I use "Normal", or "Custom" with the usbcard parameter; the result is the same. It prints out "Kernel command line:", prints out the line it's going to use, then hangs there with the flash drive being accessed forever (flashing LED). Adding all the debug switches doesn't add any more info.

The md5sum checks out now, for what it's worth.

Sorry John.

BTW if I were you I'd put the question about the usbcard earlier than the debug questions, so it is in line with all those other questions such as apic. In fact I wonder if it can be combined with the "nopcmcia" question? I.e., "1=Normal (load pcmcia drivers, no pfix=usbcard switch", "2=nopcmcia (load no pcmcia drivers, no pfix=usbcard switch", "3=usbcard (load pcmcia drivers, pfix=usbcard" with a note explaining the distinction between the two (which to be honest, I don't understand either!) Just a suggestion...

John Doe

#44 Post by John Doe »

i'm going to try and wrap this up tomorrow afternoon.

i think i need to dig up a new floppy and start over, as it seems i corrupted a driver along the way with a bad read or something.

Philh

#45 Post by Philh »

Some more info
I just tried out a usbhd (usb to ide) on a usb1 port, and it hangs
loading Adaptec v4.01b ASPI disk driver.
But if I comment out the device=A:\driver\usb\USBASPI.SYS /v
leaving aspiuhci.sys in
then it boots up ok.

Crash

#46 Post by Crash »

First, let me state that I really like this version of Wakepup2. It offers a nice set of options.

I made a couple of additions to the opening menu of the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, adding options 7 and 8:

echo * 7. Floppy File: Executes last saved boot config from floppy *
echo * *
echo * 8. Target File: Executes last saved boot config from target media*
echo * *

choice /C:12345678 Please choose :

if "%errorlevel%"=="7" goto load
if "%errorlevel%"=="8" goto load2

:load2
LINLD.COM image=%drv%\vmlinuz initrd=%drv%\initrd.gz cl=@%drv%\linld\puppy.lin

goto end

If you have a particular setup that you tried that works good, you don't have to remember it. Just type option 7 and it runs your last saved configuration.

You can copy the a:\linld directory to the target device and run it from there when you use option 8.

Ulterior motive: Option 8 works on a floppy image burned to a CD. I can experiment with the best configuration on floppy, copy it to the USB stick, and carry it around along with the boot CD for the poor souls who won't retrofit their computer with a floppy drive.

---

P.S. (Edited August 1):

Philh: Like you, one of the computers I tried would lock up on the USBASPI.SYS driver but work OK with aspiuhci.sys. Another computer that locked up on the USBASPI.SYS driver didn't work with aspiuhci.sys but worked OK with version 2.06 of USBASPI.SYS. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a combination that works on all computers. I consider this a DOS USB support issue rather than a Puppy issue, but it is an issue none the less.

I attached my edits to the autoexec.bat file here since I don't know if my excerpts above are very clear.

---

(Edited August 3): The writeup and attachment was revised to reflect the current new Wakepup2 configuration.
Attachments
autoexec.bat.gz
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 668 times
Last edited by Crash on Fri 03 Aug 2007, 12:58, edited 2 times in total.

jonyo

#47 Post by jonyo »

Thought I might ask this question here. Have an ibm 380 ed lap P150 32 megs a ram that I'm playing with to run pup. 'Cording to the lenovo site it is non cd bootable.

Stumbled on that it booted a win 98 cd. Ended up trying out gparted that booted. Tried out a bunch a pup vers & no luck. Tried out a wake floppy with a buncha pup vers & no luck with that. Thought at first it wasn't recognizing the cd drive or something..

All of a sudden the wake floppy (outa 2.17) booted pup vers 2.01. So wonderin why it booted 2.01 & not the other 2x variants?

Also didn't boot micro muppy(based on 2.12 i think).
Last edited by jonyo on Wed 08 Aug 2007, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

j-impossiblix

#48 Post by j-impossiblix »

wake pup works for me. it's great for those times that my intermittant cd drive is down, or overheated....

works for 2.17, not sure wake pup version...@ work...

wondering how it works, and how come this is the only distro that can use a floppy to help boot.

others say that since kernel 2.6.... is over 1.44 mb it won't work on a boot floppy, but i think that even tho pup is using 2.4.... and is less than 1.44, am i right that the kernel isn't on the disk anyway?

John Doe

#49 Post by John Doe »

Thanks Crash, jonyo, and j-impossiblix for jumping in.

really dig 7 and 8, great ideas (8 I will have to look at a bit, but I think I get it). will implement that this week and fix up the main image.

going to add "pfix=noswap" also (if Barry likes it and plans on inclusion for 2.18). <- that's an eight if you have smiley's enabled (stupid regex).

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 583#133583

John Doe

#50 Post by John Doe »

j-impossiblix wrote:wondering how it works...
i'll try to give an quick run down.

the mbr on the floppy gets hit and the bios boots it.
config.sys is loaded and all DOS drivers are loaded in there.
autoexec.bat is next. it has the logic to find puppy and decide what is pasted to linld.
linld is a dos app that will boot a kernel image from DOS.
we use the menu system in order to write the config file for overcomeing the commandline limitations in freedos (we are using freedos not MS-DOS).
j-impossiblix wrote:...and how come this is the only distro that can use a floppy to help boot.
is it really? i'm ignorant, so i must defer this back the group.

@all
is puppy really the only disto (or liveCD) that can use a floppy (GRUP floppy excluded, that wouldn't be any fun)?

jonyo

#51 Post by jonyo »

I think DSL has boot floppies and Slax has a boot cd disk of some kind.

Suppose I'll be tryin it out but does wake floppy boot from a usb floppy drive? I've got some rigs that have no floppy drives.

PaulBx1

#52 Post by PaulBx1 »

Where are we now, with this? Still working on the next version, or is there something I should test that I haven't yet?

jonyo

#53 Post by jonyo »

I'm still curious why my supposed non bootable (mostly doesn't) from cd ibm 380 ED lap that I tried with a wake pup ended up booting only ver 2.01 this way.. Said there were no pup files found on the other 2x variants I tried ?

Any thoughts? Gotta be something diff about 2.01?

John Doe

#54 Post by John Doe »

PaulBx1 wrote:Where are we now, with this? Still working on the next version, or is there something I should test that I haven't yet?
tomorrow i could post a new image.

thought i was over my cold but it was just changing on me. i've been stuck in bed for most of the past couple days.

John Doe

#55 Post by John Doe »

Latest version, with 7 and 8 added. No driver menu yet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 924#122924
Crash wrote:Philh: Like you, one of the computers I tried would lock up on the USBASPI.SYS driver but work OK with aspiuhci.sys. Another computer that locked up on the USBASPI.SYS driver didn't work with aspiuhci.sys but worked OK with version 2.06 of USBASPI.SYS. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a combination that works on all computers. I consider this a DOS USB support issue rather than a Puppy issue, but it is an issue none the less.
I'm starting to see this also. My one test machine has both 1.1 and 2.0 and it used to work with either or and now 2.0 won't work at all.

I'll work in a menu for the drivers next.

we'll have all loaded by default for people that don't know what to pick and a "custom option" for advanced users.

jis

#56 Post by jis »

Philh wrote: I usually use grub to load a wakepup image so I can boot from usb rather than a floppy.
How do you load wakepup from usb flash drive? Do you have to clear the drive before moving the image there and can you store some additional files to the drive afterwards? What kind of line you need in menu.lst for grub?

jonyo

#57 Post by jonyo »

jonyo wrote:I'm still curious why my supposed non bootable (mostly doesn't) from cd ibm 380 ED lap that I tried with a wake pup ended up booting only ver 2.01 this way.. Said there were no pup files found on the other 2x variants I tried ?

Any thoughts? Gotta be something diff about 2.01?
Thought it was something about the early 2x variants (few of 'em booted but even there..not all) that was diff & maybe there still is.. Had no luck with booting variants higher than 2.02..

Ended up trying 2.17 & it booted. :shock: Turns out that the ones that didn't boot were cos I was burning 'em at whatever (high) speed & on r/w type disks. They all booted & worked on newer gear. Re-burned 2.13-4-5-6 at slow speed (x2) on write type disks & they all booted with a wake floppy. :)

ibm 380 ed p150, 80 megs a ram lap live cd save file to hd booting with wake floppy.
Last edited by jonyo on Wed 29 Aug 2007, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

Sit Heel Speak

#58 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Nothing to see here folks, it Just Works(tm). Booting 2.17.1 on usb flash key (keypresses 6-4-1) through both a usb 1.1 and a usb 2.0 port.

jonyo

#59 Post by jonyo »

Will a wake floppy boot a cf flash pcmcia adapter on an old win 98 lap with no usb ports?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#60 Post by BarryK »

Does WakePup2 support frugal installs in a subdirectory?

The upcoming pup 2.20 has improved handling of pup installed into a directory, but just one-deep. So you could have the pup in:
/puppy220/vmlinuz
/puppy220/initrd.gz
/puppy220/pup_220.sfs
/puppy220/zdrv_220.sfs

where the directory name 'puppy220' is your choice. Puppy will also support the 'psubdir=puppy220' boot param, to avoid Puppy searching elsewhere at bootup.
But, WakePup really needs to do its search one-deep through all the directories in dos/fat partitions.