Gtklxsplit: Gtk frontend for lxsplit file splitter

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
muggins

Gtklxsplit: Gtk frontend for lxsplit file splitter

#1 Post by muggins »

In this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13273

billwho? mentioned difficulty getting hjsplit to work under linux. so i've attached a .pet for gtklxsplit, which is a frontend for the commandline lxsplit. this will install both files into /usr/local/bin.

usage is either drag gtklxsplit onto desktop, or run it from commandline. it will create the split
files in whatever directory the target file is in.

N.B. you have to be aware of the size of the target & adjust the split file size
accordingly, otherwise you'll have oodles of split files. to join again, just aim at xxx.001.
Attachments
gtklxsplit-0.0.1-i486.pet
(13.49 KiB) Downloaded 492 times

mouldy

#2 Post by mouldy »

Ok, I dont use a filesplitter often since the advent of cdburners and the demise of floppy disks. However yesterday downloaded a very large file via wifi broadband connection at local library. My ancient laptop has no cdburner and file bigger than my largest usb flash. Means I would have to remove hardrive and with adapter attach it as 2nd hardrive in my desktop. Well with filesplitter software can split it to fit on usb card and rejoin it on desktop.

This gui means I dont have to memorize or write down command line format/options or type anything. I just click a desktop icon for the gui and click, click its done. As small as this is, it should be included with Puppy so it could easily be used when just booting from Puppy cd.

My only possible critisism is that back in old days with DOS filesplitter software I had, it not only split the file but produced a little extra file that could rejoin the split parts together on different DOS/windows computer that didnt have the filesplitter software installed. That was a nice touch.

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

mouldy,

have a look at gtk-splitter. i've just re-uploaded it here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 51&t=19037

it can create a dos batch file but, not having ready access to a windows computer, i haven't tried it. you can be the test pilot to verify that it does indeed work!

mouldy

#4 Post by mouldy »

Sorry I dont have dos or dos based windows installed. Only windows I have is a very cut down version of XP on an old hardrive when I want to run the occasional windows only program. Sometimes easier just to use it than try to get some program to work under wine.

I just mentioned the dos file splitter that provided a little batch file to reassemble it on another computer cause it would be nice if there was something simular for linux.

I didnt think about a gui for split though. If its as good and small as one for lxsplit, then be nice to have it in Puppy by default since Puppy has split. It is inconvenient to split via command line when I dont use the program often enough to remember the format by heart.