WakePup2 for Puppy 2.x and greater (NOW WITH more SUPPORT)

Using applications, configuring, problems
John Doe

WakePup2 for Puppy 2.x and greater (NOW WITH more SUPPORT)

#1 Post by John Doe »

If you have a computer that needs a floppy to boot, now is your chance to test (especially if you can't boot it because you need a special boot parameter).

Lots of new menus and fun in there.

Shout out and tell me how it goes.

Get it here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 924#122924

Please post feedback or trouble in this thread so it's easier to keep track of.
Last edited by John Doe on Sun 16 Sep 2007, 07:21, edited 2 times in total.

Philh

#2 Post by Philh »

A nice lot of options.
Ive tried cd and idehd, both work for me.
I found a link to some more usb drivers on the Slax site.
They make a few more pens work for me(PNY, Leadtek) on older usb1 ports. I put a selector in config.sys
I changed the characters making the boxes as I had one pc(very old P1) where the display went totally out of sync. Dont know why. Probably never happen again.
Then there was a pc using wakepup to boot on the idehd and I wanted to boot a usb pen, but it always picked up the idehd first.
Same with a new cd always picks idehd first.
So I tried to make a selection in the autoexec.
If you want to add any of this to your wakepup please do.
Im attaching my old files(not incorporating your options), ignore the last part of the autoexec, just experimenting with vmlinuz name and location.
I usually use grub to load a wakepup image so I can boot from usb rather than a floppy.
Attachments
wpup.tar.gz
(48.21 KiB) Downloaded 1715 times

John Doe

#3 Post by John Doe »

Philh wrote:A nice lot of options.
Ive tried cd and idehd, both work for me.
Thanks.
Philh wrote:I found a link to some more usb drivers on the Slax site.
They make a few more pens work for me(PNY, Leadtek) on older usb1 ports. I put a selector in config.sys
YES! 1.1 works now! THANKS!!!
Philh wrote:I changed the characters making the boxes as I had one pc(very old P1) where the display went totally out of sync. Dont know why. Probably never happen again.
hopefully. I'll keep that in mind though. Didn't want to go through all that.
Philh wrote:Then there was a pc using wakepup to boot on the idehd and I wanted to boot a usb pen, but it always picked up the idehd first.
Same with a new cd always picks idehd first.
So I tried to make a selection in the autoexec.
I worked this out just now. Great idea. It's the first option under custom and it loops you back to the main boot menu so one can just hit "Normal Boot" after that.
Philh wrote:If you want to add any of this to your wakepup please do.
Im attaching my old files(not incorporating your options)...
They're in there now :-)

If you happen to be that one person that downloaded inbetween the driver and new menu, grab it again. I got all hasty and dropped off a copy before I thought it through all the way.

Thanks again for speaking up.

jonyo

#4 Post by jonyo »

I'd like to try this, dwld it & finishes as an .img file. Do I just copy that to a floppy? I'm lookin to boot a pup (prob2.14) live cd with it on an old lap that wont boot off the cd. I have win 98 se on it that I'd like to keep, but with only 32 megs of ram that I think I can upgrade to ~ 98 megs.

John Doe

#5 Post by John Doe »

you have to write the .img to a floppy.

pop in a floppy with the write protect tab off and do this:

double check first that that is the path to your floppy (and not something else) with mut.

Code: Select all

dd if=wakepup2.img of=/dev/fd0
btw, make sure to leave the write protect tab off because the floppy, when running dos, will actually write a small config file back to itself before launching linld.

32megs is pushing it. you could probably do it with a small swap file. i'm running on 48megs with a 256meg swap file on internal ideHD. going to test 128megs swap also, as I hear that might be better.

was just thinking today, while tinkering, that a "flashdrive swap file wizard" might be the next logical step (been discussed here before and vista does it I think). so one could just plug in a 128 or 256 flash drive, run the wizard and then use it for a booster stick if need be.

jonyo

#6 Post by jonyo »

any way of doing this in 'doze? (the writing the .img part to a floppy)
Last edited by jonyo on Tue 17 Jul 2007, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.

John Doe

#7 Post by John Doe »

yes!

you just need rawwritewin.exe

i searched real quick but couldn't find the download site and don't have wine going right now so i just attached it.

jonyo

#8 Post by jonyo »

Woulda thought ~ the bigger the swap file, the better? (with low ram)

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

Quite the opposite! Need to read all the previous advice I've given!

jonyo

#10 Post by jonyo »

well i'm aware now that what I assumed is not the case but curious why that is. I have a few old laps that i'm looking to try to see what I can do with in terms of pup, but dunno much about old laps & pup but have read about it a bit.

3 laps are ibm 380 ed with 166 mmx 32 megs of ram, compaq with a 200 cyrix & 32 megs of ram & a dell p150 with 64 megs of ram that I need a power cord for so haven't tried anything with it yet. It always performed the best of the 3. Checked it out & can increase the ram some on 'em but not much.

Tried out the ibm & compaq & somehow managed to get the compaq to boot a live cd once! :roll: awhile back, think ~ v2.14 but it was way slow & didn't wait to see if it would eventually boot up fully. Haven't gotten a live cd boot since either with the compaq & don't think I ever did with the ibm. Thought it might be a bios problem & looked into those settings on both & even though they seemed to be boot capable by CD, no linux distro I tried 'd boot from the cd. Ended up trying a win 98 disk & both laps booted fine off the cd :shock: so no doubt they're capable of it. The only thing i've read is to be sure to use quality disks of no rewrite type that can make a diff with bootin the linux stuff though the disks I tried all boot up fine on newer rigs.

Tried out a boot wake up floppy i made (outa 2.15) last nite but it doesn't seem to recognize the CD disk drives in either lap.

Understand there are many ways to go about this but dunno much about it so gonna have to do s'more reading..

Here's another thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 777#128777

Philh

#11 Post by Philh »

John Doe
I dont know if you meant to put optmenu1 at the start before trying the media in the autoexec.
If not, as it is now I think you need a
6 Puppy boot media in Puppy2 boot mode.
You cant get to the custom boot options, its selecting Puppy boot media.

John Doe

#12 Post by John Doe »

Philh wrote:I dont know if you meant to put optmenu1 at the start before trying the media in the autoexec.
If not, as it is now I think you need a
6 Puppy boot media in Puppy2 boot mode.
You cant get to the custom boot options, its selecting Puppy boot media.
ok. I follow you. It was a bad GUI design in retrospect (behaviour that was obvious only to the programmer and not the user).

the way it worked was the user could select custom, pick a different device and then hit custom again and then normal (as it would now be set to the device they wanted) and go on from there. but obviously one has to know this to get it to work correctly and it wasn't explained at all to the user.

so, in short, thanks again!

we have a #6 now instead. much easier to understand.

also dropped in loglevel option which helped out jamesbond recently.

new copy is there, let me know how it goes.

PaulBx1

#13 Post by PaulBx1 »

John, I gave this a try. First I want to say it's the first time I was able to boot from this PQI flash, which I thought was not usable the last time I tried this. I think the new wakepup2 helped a lot...

I have an old Thinkpad A21m, with a single USB 1.1 port. I also have a belkin pcmcia F5U222 usb 2.0 port card.

OK, first snag I ran into was using dd to copy the image to the floppy. I needed to low-level format the floppy for that to work.

When I put the flash in the 1.1 port, it does boot properly, even though early on I see: "Error: target USB device not found". One other rough edge was right at the beginning, the message about pressing F8 - it stays there too short and one never knows why a trace or skipping autoexec.bat ought to be done. But anyway, it worked! :)

When I put the same flash in the pcmcia USB 2.0 ports, it gets through the boot to the point where it is executing the init script in /initrd, where it says "Loading kernel modules...", then it hangs. I guess that is not a wakepup2 problem though, is it?

PaulBx1

#14 Post by PaulBx1 »

Woops, John, you broke this last version!

I get to the point where it says "ID2 = IStickIntelligentstick installed successfully", and then it gives

Invalid opcode at 9BE4 11A2 7206 1317 0544 00B4 04B1 0AB5 D6E8 8DB3 283E 8AA6 0644
...if I copied that correctly. Then it hangs.

John Doe

#15 Post by John Doe »

PaulBx1 wrote:John, I gave this a try. First I want to say it's the first time I was able to boot from this PQI flash, which I thought was not usable the last time I tried this. I think the new wakepup2 helped a lot...
you can thank Philh for that one. I completely missed the 1.1USB the first time around.
PaulBx1 wrote:OK, first snag I ran into was using dd to copy the image to the floppy. I needed to low-level format the floppy for that to work.
i wonder if the wizard in puppy will handle this? i know the universal installer will ask to wipe a partition if it sees stuff there.
PaulBx1 wrote:When I put the flash in the 1.1 port, it does boot properly, even though early on I see: "Error: target USB device not found".
that error is from the 2.0 driver finding nothing. the 1.1 driver is the block after that one.

btw, I tested on a machine with both 1.1 and 2.0 slots to make sure there was not conflict. booted when flash drive was in either speed slot.
PaulBx1 wrote:...the message about pressing F8 - it stays there too short and one never knows why a trace or skipping autoexec.bat ought to be done.
basically that drops you out to DOS prompt after hardware drivers are loaded and would just skip all the menus and attempting to load Puppy.

in case one would rather run DOS than Puppy :D
PaulBx1 wrote:When I put the same flash in the pcmcia USB 2.0 ports, it gets through the boot to the point where it is executing the init script in /initrd, where it says "Loading kernel modules...", then it hangs. I guess that is not a wakepup2 problem though, is it?
I get the exact same behaviour with a USB HUB. :shock:

The DOS drivers see Puppy on the stick, starts to boot it and then Puppy just hangs on "Loading kernel modules..."

John Doe

#16 Post by John Doe »

PaulBx1 wrote:Woops, John, you broke this last version!

I get to the point where it says "ID2 = IStickIntelligentstick installed successfully", and then it gives

Invalid opcode at 9BE4 11A2 7206 1317 0544 00B4 04B1 0AB5 D6E8 8DB3 283E 8AA6 0644
...if I copied that correctly. Then it hangs.
odd...

I just remade the image from the floppy I'm using and the md5 is different.

i'll test it.

John Doe

#17 Post by John Doe »

ok, it's there.

I tested that one by writting it to another floppy and booting.

I think that other one just got read funny as I'm sure I didn't change anything since that last image.

PaulBx1

#18 Post by PaulBx1 »

You lost me. What should I do, download it again? Did you fix it?
I get the exact same behaviour with a USB HUB.
Funny, I have a USB hub on the 1.1 port and my flash boots from there just fine.

Obviously something is marginal there. I was wondering how to find what step it is hanging on.
that error is from the 2.0 driver finding nothing. the 1.1 driver is the block after that one.
It might be nice for the error message to say it is looking for 2.0 ports, or something like that. To reduce alarm... :wink:

John Doe

#19 Post by John Doe »

PaulBx1 wrote:You lost me. What should I do, download it again? Did you fix it?
yes. give that one a shot (44a479b586e48d87cf2974208b62c42b). i think my prior upload was just a bad copy.
PaulBx1 wrote:
I get the exact same behaviour with a USB HUB.
Funny, I have a USB hub on the 1.1 port and my flash boots from there just fine.

Obviously something is marginal there. I was wondering how to find what step it is hanging on.
i can probably get some more info with that logerror=7 option to grab the kernel messages right before it hangs.

it's at the end of the custom options now, you could use it on your pcmcia card also.
PaulBx1 wrote:
It might be nice for the error message to say it is looking for 2.0 ports, or something like that. To reduce alarm... :wink:
not much control of the driver messages (unless you can read hex really well :-)).

i'm thinking out how to splash a message up there at the beginning. without the user having to click anything to continue.

also noticed the error message needs a bit of tuning and just now it wouldn't wake a frugal install on my second partition (fat32).

i'm testing on a first partition on another machine next.

John Doe

#20 Post by John Doe »

John Doe wrote:...and just now it wouldn't wake a frugal install on my second partition (fat32).

i'm testing on a first partition on another machine next.
...and just now I realized to make sure the marker file was there. all this time it was on my usb and i completely forgot it was NEEDED!!