Puppy 2.17alpha available

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Wolf Pup

#81 Post by Wolf Pup »

Does UK experience Daylight savings like the US?
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#82 Post by BarryK »

jeffrey wrote:By the way all keyboards that I've used in New Zealand are US format, so it would help if rc.country (I think that's the name of the script) could have the "x" changed to "us" for country 60 New Zealand.
Thanks. That's an impressive effort doing everything in a single selection.
:) I'm reminded of Sir Humphrey Appleby in 'Yes Minister' telling the Minister that "that is a brave decision, Minister". It's very ambitious anyway, trying to put everything in one table, and there's going to be lots of tweaking required, plus some special cases.
Okay, I'll fix the keyboard for New Zealand.

kirk

#83 Post by kirk »

Couple of problems with ext2/ext3:

I have these pup_save files from playing with 217a:

1) pup_save.2fs
2) pup_save.2fs-1.3fs
3) pup_save_crypta-217a.3fs

These are all on an ext3 partition. The #2 save file was named that way because the #1 save file already existed. Looking at rc.shutdown, I thought that saving on an ext3 partition would result in an ext3 pup_save file. When booting #1 and #2 above, fsck is ran on both.

The #3 encrypted save file is mounted as ext2 by init (line #754) and no fsck is done. Maybe it's remounted later as ext3?

I'd like to see us go back to all ext3, especially with the clean shutdown problem, But that's another story.

PS: Thanks for fixing the encryption problem! (see blog)

PaulBx1

#84 Post by PaulBx1 »

Wow, that file #2 was obviously named wrong. Bug in rc.shutdown!

<later> I took a look at rc.shutdown and at line 350 found this:

Code: Select all

local BLA=1 #; local SFFIX=`echo "$SAVEFILE" | tail -c 5`
Problem is, the variable "SFFIX" is not used anywhere else.

That code about choosing the filename is, well, kinda tortured. :) Seems like the way to do it is to break it into pieces - directory, name, extension. Then go through figuring what each piece should be, and finally at the bottom, reassemble the pieces into the full name, adding that "bla" thing between name and extension.

If you want my opinion, you should simply lay out what the two choices (2fs vs 3fs) are, what the reasoning is behind them, and then let the user choose. At the bottom say, "if you aren't sure, pick 2fs". :D

I also noticed the variable "PCHOOSE" is never initialized to "no".

I have a couple more:

1) If xvesa is selected and I pick the default screen resolution (I think 640x480), then the windows, for example the browser with the welcome message, are too large for the screen. Maybe this is normal...

2) You replaced TkDiff with IIRC Xdiff. Bad move in my opinion. TkDiff is very intuitive, Xdiff such a mess that I finally gave up trying to get it to work. It may be that Xdiff actually is more capable, once you get to know it, but most people I think don't want to invest a lot of time in a program like that. They just want to find the differences in two files, right now. TkDiff was great for that; please don't dump it! :cry:

3) I went to create a lite encrypted pup_save when shutting down. In the final sanity check it says to hit ESC key if something is not right. I did that just to see what would happen, and it simply shut down without creating the pup_save. I thought it was going to go back and let me modify something.

4) Also I noticed there was no way to tell it what file type, 2fs or 3fs, you wanted for the pup_save. I think 2fs is the correct default but do we want to force people to use that? There is that utility kirk and I cooked up to change from one to the other, but that is an extra step that people have to know, and anyway it is not included in standard Puppy.

5) In the shutdown you use "x" to designate light encrypted files ("density") and "a" to designate heavy encrypted files. But in init you only look for "x" and assume anything else is heavy encrypted. There is a possibility that we may have loop-aes or dmcrypt in the future, which means more indicators. Right now, having no indicator after "crypt" is treated as heavy encryption. I'm not sure where I am going with this, but maybe there should be more documentation on this point; for example, in rc.shutdown just say that the indicator should be "a" or "x" and if the filename does not meet that specification it is not accepted. People should know what constraints there are in renaming pup_saves. I didn't know why the "a" appeared in the filename when I tried creating a new one.

Gschipps

Clock early one hour

#85 Post by Gschipps »

I also have noticed that my normal HD install of 2.17RC1 on my laptop Dell CPX 450Mhz has the time resetting 1 hour too early upon every reboot. I like this OS. It makes this older equipment imminently more usable. i also have it on an 333Mhz w/128Mb RAM. I like it. Enough software to do what I do with a confuseser. Man- I wish I could fix that double-repeat problem, though! Good thing I am not a fast typist, any way. bettere stop rambling. thanks for the work on this, guys/gals.

Greg, in West Michigan

PaulBx1

#86 Post by PaulBx1 »

Oh, one other point. Is it true that encrypted pupsaves never get automatically fsck'ed? I know that doing it every time was awful slow, but doing it never might be going too far in the other direction.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#87 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote:Wow, that file #2 was obviously named wrong. Bug in rc.shutdown!

<later> I took a look at rc.shutdown and at line 350 found this:

Code: Select all

local BLA=1 #; local SFFIX=`echo "$SAVEFILE" | tail -c 5`
Problem is, the variable "SFFIX" is not used anywhere else.

That code about choosing the filename is, well, kinda tortured. :) Seems like the way to do it is to break it into pieces - directory, name, extension. Then go through figuring what each piece should be, and finally at the bottom, reassemble the pieces into the full name, adding that "bla" thing between name and extension.

If you want my opinion, you should simply lay out what the two choices (2fs vs 3fs) are, what the reasoning is behind them, and then let the user choose. At the bottom say, "if you aren't sure, pick 2fs". :D

I also noticed the variable "PCHOOSE" is never initialized to "no".

I have a couple more:

1) If xvesa is selected and I pick the default screen resolution (I think 640x480), then the windows, for example the browser with the welcome message, are too large for the screen. Maybe this is normal...

2) You replaced TkDiff with IIRC Xdiff. Bad move in my opinion. TkDiff is very intuitive, Xdiff such a mess that I finally gave up trying to get it to work. It may be that Xdiff actually is more capable, once you get to know it, but most people I think don't want to invest a lot of time in a program like that. They just want to find the differences in two files, right now. TkDiff was great for that; please don't dump it! :cry:

3) I went to create a lite encrypted pup_save when shutting down. In the final sanity check it says to hit ESC key if something is not right. I did that just to see what would happen, and it simply shut down without creating the pup_save. I thought it was going to go back and let me modify something.

4) Also I noticed there was no way to tell it what file type, 2fs or 3fs, you wanted for the pup_save. I think 2fs is the correct default but do we want to force people to use that? There is that utility kirk and I cooked up to change from one to the other, but that is an extra step that people have to know, and anyway it is not included in standard Puppy.

5) In the shutdown you use "x" to designate light encrypted files ("density") and "a" to designate heavy encrypted files. But in init you only look for "x" and assume anything else is heavy encrypted. There is a possibility that we may have loop-aes or dmcrypt in the future, which means more indicators. Right now, having no indicator after "crypt" is treated as heavy encryption. I'm not sure where I am going with this, but maybe there should be more documentation on this point; for example, in rc.shutdown just say that the indicator should be "a" or "x" and if the filename does not meet that specification it is not accepted. People should know what constraints there are in renaming pup_saves. I didn't know why the "a" appeared in the filename when I tried creating a new one.
2) pup_save.2fs-1.3fs
...I have never got naming like that!
2) It's Xfdiff, not Xdiff.

kirk

#88 Post by kirk »

Oh, one other point. Is it true that encrypted pupsaves never get automatically fsck'ed? I know that doing it every time was awful slow, but doing it never might be going too far in the other direction.
I havn't saw any speed difference between encrypted and non-encrypted. Fsck takes a while if you have a lot of files in your pup_save. If it's fairly empty then it's real fast. Rebuild all of the kernel modules or do somthing else that puts thousands of files in your pup_save and reboot, you'll see. You'll spend more time with fsck than the rest of the boot process. That's why journaling was invented :D

PaulBx1

#89 Post by PaulBx1 »

In re-reading my comments, I realize they sounded a little overboard. Sorry about that, no excuse for it.

John Doe

#90 Post by John Doe »

Lobster wrote:The clock is displaying one hour earlier than it should....

Anyone else get this?
Yes. Me2. GMT -5 in DST (EST-Eastern Standard Time)

Do you have Daylight Saving Time also? or is it just all together off by 1 hour?

esmourguit

#91 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour à tous,

Me to. I am in France, GMT+1 and it seven instead of 8.

I have changed in GMT+2 to have the good one, but my screen became black. I had to press space to come back on the desktop but gxine (playing James Brown) was became mute. I had to go to Puppy Volume Mixer to make changes.

Cordialement. ;)
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]

kirk

#92 Post by kirk »

The devx_217.sfs file does not have a /usr/src folder.

Was going to try compiling the rtl8180, guess I'll wait :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#93 Post by BarryK »

kirk,
Yes, that's because we found it is best to have the entire source, rather than the very cutdown stuff that was in the previous devx.

Um, who did that for us last time? ...converted the kernel source package into an sfs file? ...anyway, that's what we need.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#94 Post by BarryK »

I'm now working on country and keyboard-layout setup...

Lobster, you reported the time was out by one hour.

Check /etc/localtime -- it should be a link to /usr/share/zoneinfo/London
-- right?

If that's right, what else could be wrong... what about the hardware clock on your PC? That is supposed to be set to the local time. This will read the hardware clock:
# hwclock -r

...does that agree with the time in the taskbar?

In London, you are on GMT+0, but are you on daylight saving?
If you are not, try relinking :
# ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT-0 /etc/localtime
#hwclock --localtime --hctosys
...because maybe /usr/share/zoneinfo/London is wrong.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#95 Post by BarryK »

esmourguit wrote:Bonjour à tous,

Me to. I am in France, GMT+1 and it seven instead of 8.

I have changed in GMT+2 to have the good one, but my screen became black. I had to press space to come back on the desktop but gxine (playing James Brown) was became mute. I had to go to Puppy Volume Mixer to make changes.

Cordialement. ;)
Are you on Paris time?
How did you change the GMT+1 to GMT+2? ...I mean, what did you change?

kirk

#96 Post by kirk »

Um, who did that for us last time?
That was me. But just putting the raw kernel source doesn't work. Tried compiling a driver, it complained "ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid." so I ran make oldconfig && make prepare on the kernel source and tried again. This time most of it built, but then it couldn't find /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/Module.symvers becuase that hasn't been built. Guess I can build the kernel.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#97 Post by BarryK »

kirk wrote:
Um, who did that for us last time?
That was me. But just putting the raw kernel source doesn't work. Tried compiling a driver, it complained "ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid." so I ran make oldconfig && make prepare on the kernel source and tried again. This time most of it built, but then it couldn't find /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/Module.symvers becuase that hasn't been built. Guess I can build the kernel.
kirk, okay, thanks for doing that last time. It looks like we will need a sfs with some basic extra stuff in it, like that Module.symvers and System.map. Perhaps what you have done as quoted above, is enough and I just have to send those files. Attached:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#98 Post by BarryK »

No response from esmourguit and Lobster yet. Where are you guys? Anyone else who has that one-hour-off problem can also answer the post I addressed to Lobster.

kirk

#99 Post by kirk »

I rebuilt the 217 kernel and using the /usr/src/ from the 2.16 devx file as a template, made a new kernel source sfs file. Tested it out by building some wifi drivers. I'll upload it somewhere. It's 52MB.

I'm assuming mksquashfs uses lzma by default now? But you know what assuming does.

PS: The rtl8180 driver source I had mentioned elsewhere, builds with the new kernel, but doesn't work. :cry: I'll see if there are any updates for it in the past week or so.

PS2:

My clock is an hour slow. But we have daylight savings time. I'm in Florida, eastern time zone.

# hwclock -r
Sat Jul 14 00:12:41 2007 0.000000 seconds
#

Task bar clock is 11:13pm jul 13.

/etc/localtime is linked to /usr/share/zoneinfo/Eastern.

Clock is correct when 2.16 or Windows is booted.

tempestuous

#100 Post by tempestuous »

kirk,
instead of the rtl8180-sa2400 driver, what about trying the proprietary Realtek wifi drivers -

RTL8185/8187/8187B
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false

RTL8180L
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false