#1 Post by magerlab »

hello!
my name is alexander
i'm from Kazan, Russia
i want to taste puppy linux on my computer
does it have russian language support?
if no, is it possible?
i always have problems with live cds with x-window system
will puppy work with 16mb videocard ( voodoo banshee) and 256 ram?

raffy

wizard

#2 Post by raffy »

Hello Alexander. Maybe you mean "test" Puppy?

Your PC can make Puppy very fast!

As to using your language, look here for an example.

There is also Country Localization in the menu.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

magerlab

#3 Post by magerlab »

"test" and taste also thank you for your help!
i'm downloading iso image ( it will take time via dial up, but i hope it will be no waste of time :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

My sister has the Voodoo Banshee and it worked OK on her computer . . . in fact I was using the card for a while with Puppy

256 ram is ideal - 128MB works fine

Puppy has not YET been translated into Russian. It has been translated into Japanese, Cantonese, Mandarin and Vietnamese (where it has at least 20 000 users) as well as European languages. So yes it can be translated.

I hope you like it sufficiently to translate :)
Welcome to the kennels

For those wondering about Kazan . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazan
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

magerlab

#5 Post by magerlab »

english for me is not a problem
but maybe it's possible to type in russian( and also i need hebrew)
i can start with translating manual into Russian
unfortunately, the links to wiki pages don't work
anyway, I've downloaded almost half of iso. by now :)
let's see...

vovchik

Russian on Puppy

#6 Post by vovchik »

Dear magerlab,

My puppy runs in Russsian, Ukrainian, German and English. On my task bar I have a nice utility that shows little flags of the language the keyboard is currently set to. To change languages, I click on the flag. I see texts in all of my languages properly and can type in those languages. If you need more advice, let me know and I will explain what I did for my set-up.

Вот и в

raffy

language

#7 Post by raffy »

Yes, it will be good to know about your language tricks, thanks, vovchick!

magerlab

#8 Post by magerlab »

to Vovchik:
wich programm do you use?
i have kkbswitch( with kde support)or xkb in alt linux ( wich i use on my computer)
i meant is it possible to have Russian as a default language
(мне нет проблем

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

magerlab wrote: i can start with translating manual into Russian
unfortunately, the links to wiki pages don't work
http://www.puppy-linux.info/

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gdemonta

Re: Russian on Puppy

#10 Post by gdemonta »

vovchik wrote:Dear magerlab,
On my task bar I have a nice utility that shows little flags of the language the keyboard is currently set to. To change languages, I click on the flag.
привет vovchik,
Could you tell us how you did this please? We french are intetrested in being able to do something similar.
[color=blue]Dumbledore: "The evidence of the Dark Lord's return is incontrovertible"[/color]
IBM X31 - Puppy 2.16 Hard disk install with EZpup

vovchik

fxbkb system tray language indicator

#11 Post by vovchik »

Dear magerlab, raffy and gdemonta,

Here is the binary for fbxkb and the other files it needs (mainly images). There is also a hidden directory in /root (switch on "show hidden" in rox when you browse the archive) that contains a minimal default configuration file. Your don't have to change it. The main thing is to change the InputDevice section of your xorg.conf. Fbxkb was compiled by me under Puppy 2.10, but works on 1.07, 2.12 and 2.15 (and other versions, I assume). I use it under IceWM to give me a flag icon in the system tray for each of the languages specified in my xorg.conf file. I made the entries in xorg.conf myself, so you'll probably have to adjust it for your particular setup. Since it supports Hebrew as well, you will also have to adjust some apps for BIDI (bi-directional typing). Some apps have this feature built in (the Katoob editor, for instance). Here is the relevant part of my xorg.conf file (in /etc/X11):

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
#	Option      "XkbModel" "pc102"
	Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
#	Option      "XkbLayout" "us" #xkeymap0
	Option      "XkbLayout" "us,ua,ru,de" #xkeymap0 <---- CHANGE FOR YOUR SETUP
	Option 		"XkbOptions"   "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
EndSection
For all this to work, you will have to have previously installed the keyboard maps for the languages you wish to use.

Incidentally, I have corresponded with the author of fbxkb, Anatoly Asviyan, who seems to be a very nice and helpful guy. Versions previous to 0.6 compiled fine on my machine but didn't seem to work (I got runtime segmentation errors), so use this version, which is the latest and works just fine. My fbxkb launches after I start X. I use MU's autostart to load a script containing the names of all of my system tray entries, followed by a "&", with a sleep 1 or 2 between calls.

With kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
puppy_fbxkb.tar.gz
(69.71 KiB) Downloaded 604 times

gdemonta

#12 Post by gdemonta »

Большое
[color=blue]Dumbledore: "The evidence of the Dark Lord's return is incontrovertible"[/color]
IBM X31 - Puppy 2.16 Hard disk install with EZpup

vovchik

#13 Post by vovchik »

Dear gdemonta,

I forgot to mention that you may need to have icewmtray running first (I don't recall). Let me know if it works. If so, we should probably write a little how-to text for users and place fbxkb in the additional dotpups category. Actually, I think it should be included in a standard distribution, since very many of us use multiple languages on a daily basis and want to know the language in which we are currently typing.

As to the entire Russian localization question brought up by magerlab, the task is daunting, since not all programs support changing the interface language without modifying the strings in the source, and puppy is full of scripts that would be very labour-intensive to change. I suggest that magerlab check out the localization discussion at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=16

If magerlab does it, it would be great and it would introduce Sobachka-Puppy to a rather large Russian-spaking audience. There are a few distributions that are already localized and the Russified binaries could be appropriated or recompiled from their sources. Puppy's WM menus are not that hard to change.

Wtih kind regards,
vovchik

magerlab

#14 Post by magerlab »

i use icewm in altlinux and this distro is from the team wich localized open office.org and mozilla