Puppy 2.17alpha available

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
PaulBx1

#21 Post by PaulBx1 »

FYI I tried the same as the above just using a straight copy in Rox of the pupsave. Same effect, won't accept password in 2.17A, minor problem of scrambled icons in 2.16.1. :?

I did an md5sum of the downloaded file OK. Is there a way to check the md5sum against a burned CD just to make sure the burn went all right?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#22 Post by BarryK »

epdfview Looks promising, printing from it is better. But with large PDFs it's real slow. It doesn't seem to cache any thing. So if you go foward a page and wait for the "Loading" to finish then go back to the same page you have to wait again. Also, it has no menu entry.
kirk, would you mind going to the epdfview site and provide this feedback? I have received an email from the author and he has seen what we are doing and has expressed an interest in improving epdfview. For a start, he has stated that he will look into supporting Postscript (we currently open a Postscript file in epdview by piping it through 'ps2pdf'.
I'm sure that he could also figure out a bit of caching.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#23 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote:I did an md5sum of the downloaded file OK. Is there a way to check the md5sum against a burned CD just to make sure the burn went all right?
The 'burniso2cd' program has a md5sum option to check the burn.

PaulBx1

#24 Post by PaulBx1 »

Er, it looks like I didn't follow instructions either. I took the concern about the pupsaves to be that the pupsave might be trashed (therefore it should be backed up), rather than that I shouldn't use an existing pupsave. What's up with that? Why can't we use a pupsave?

I guess I will play with it booted to ram for now.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#25 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote:Er, it looks like I didn't follow instructions either. I took the concern about the pupsaves to be that the pupsave might be trashed (therefore it should be backed up), rather than that I shouldn't use an existing pupsave. What's up with that? Why can't we use a pupsave?

I guess I will play with it booted to ram for now.
Well, I'm just bein cautious for now. The main problem is the pup_217.sfs and zdrv_217.sfs left over from testing 2.17exp1. You have to make sure they re gone from your hard drive, otherwise they will totally screw things up.

PaulBx1

#26 Post by PaulBx1 »

I never tried 217exp1 so don't have those files. BTW my machine is a Thinkpad A21m, a fairly old laptop.

I tried pfix=ram, these are the snags I noticed:

1) the country selection - USA has several lines. Are you trying to pick up the time zones as well as the country, with one selection? Some of the USA zones are not "standard", for example USA-Indiana-east, or whatever that was. The 48 states have eastern, central, mountain and pacific for the time zones IIRC.

2) I selected xvesa as I always do with pfix=ram. It seemed to jump around a lot longer than it used to in earlier revisions, and if you click too soon your selection, it hangs. Mouse cursor still moves but I can't click anything on the screen any more.

3) As someone already noted, you get two welcomes. I'd dump the desktop one, which is missing stuff at the bottom anyway. I like a desktop to be a desktop, with no graffiti scribbled on it. :)

4) I tried to set up the printer from the setup icon on the desktop; it first printed out something about "usage for xdialog" and then stumbled through the script without having made a selection. Just noticed if I invoke it from the menu button it works better (woops, that is in 2.16.1, I have to reboot and check).

kirk

#27 Post by kirk »

Just to confirm what Paul posted. Encrypted pup_save files won't mount when booting. I made an encrypted pup_save in 217a and rebooted. Wouldn't take my password. Booted another save file. And was able to mount the encrypted pup_save from command line. Also mounted using the losetup and mount commands from /initrd/bin.

Got to sleep and then work :(

Also, The Clock is an hour off. If the keyboard selection is also setting the time zone, we have daylight savings time. Never had to set the time before though.

PaulBx1

#28 Post by PaulBx1 »

5) I wonder if it is possible to integrate the CUPs thing into the old Puppy printer setup. Or at least, in the old printer setup, suggest to the user that CUPs be tried if no satisfaction was gotten with the older printer setup. That way people won't get too confused that there are two ways to set up the printer.

6) I have a Canon pixma ip1700 printer. The website pointed at by the CUPS setup suggests using the ip2200 driver, and points me to the Canon site. It also mentions getting a ppd file. I found no ppd file there, nor a driver. The Canon site had a download package of rpm files. So my first brush with CUPS makes me want to just drop the idea of printing in linux, and go back to "sneakernet", printing on my wife's Windows machine. :roll:

alienjeff

#29 Post by alienjeff »

PaulBx1 wrote:So my first brush with CUPS makes me want to just drop the idea of printing in linux, and go back to "sneakernet", printing on my wife's Windows machine. :roll:
I have yet to get a very vanilla Canon BJC-2010 to print from Puppy, though I'm sure other flavors of Linux would fare just as poorly. Ongoing problems with printers, wifi and stubborn (read as Redmond-loyal) peripheral manufacturers stifles the adoption of Linux as a serious desktop tool by many potential users.

-aj
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

jamesbond

#30 Post by jamesbond »

2.17A won't boot in Virtualbox 1.4, stopping at "creating unionfs...".
Boots ok in VMWare and Qemu. I have yet to try it on bare hardware.

EDIT: trying to do frugal install (co-exist) with the universal installer also higlights the same bug that exist in 2.16.1, namely:
1. kernel line points the root to /dev/hda1 instead of /dev/ram0
2. there is an extra "ro" parameter, what's it for?
2. initrd line is missing
see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 165#126165

If this is not corrected, it will cause kernel panic upon rebooting if it's not fixed.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#31 Post by BarryK »

[quote="jeffrey"]When booting from CD it displays the “Select your country

BarryK
Puppy Master

#32 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote:1) the country selection - USA has several lines. Are you trying to pick up the time zones as well as the country, with one selection? Some of the USA zones are not "standard", for example USA-Indiana-east, or whatever that was. The 48 states have eastern, central, mountain and pacific for the time zones IIRC.

2) I selected xvesa as I always do with pfix=ram. It seemed to jump around a lot longer than it used to in earlier revisions, and if you click too soon your selection, it hangs. Mouse cursor still moves but I can't click anything on the screen any more.

3) As someone already noted, you get two welcomes. I'd dump the desktop one, which is missing stuff at the bottom anyway. I like a desktop to be a desktop, with no graffiti scribbled on it. :)
1) yes, I have attempted to combine into one dialog.
2) I never use Xvesa, so it never gets tested.
3) two welcomes.... as dillo is no longer there, that leaves the 'gtkmoz' htmlviewer, so that must be what pops up -- okay, my apologies to the other poster who reported this -- I thought that he must have done something wrong. Okay, I need to test Xvesa.
The welcome on the desktop will go away as soon as you have a pup_save file. Also, it should not have anything 'chopped off' -- the image scales to fit the screen.

pakt

#33 Post by pakt »

PaulBx1 wrote:4) I tried to set up the printer from the setup icon on the desktop; it first printed out something about "usage for xdialog" and then stumbled through the script without having made a selection.
Yes, I also just get the Xdialog help page when clicking on the Printer Wizard. Exiting the help page, a new window pops up:
You have chosen .
Now to choose the print quality.
<removed text>
Must be a syntax error there somewhere...
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

BarryK
Puppy Master

#34 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote:5) I wonder if it is possible to integrate the CUPs thing into the old Puppy printer setup. Or at least, in the old printer setup, suggest to the user that CUPs be tried if no satisfaction was gotten with the older printer setup. That way people won't get too confused that there are two ways to set up the printer.

6) I have a Canon pixma ip1700 printer. The website pointed at by the CUPS setup suggests using the ip2200 driver, and points me to the Canon site. It also mentions getting a ppd file. I found no ppd file there, nor a driver. The Canon site had a download package of rpm files. So my first brush with CUPS makes me want to just drop the idea of printing in linux, and go back to "sneakernet", printing on my wife's Windows machine. :roll:
5) Ah, it must be that the Wizard Wizard is still pointing to the old Printer Wizard. I'll fix that. For now, you have to run the CUPS printer wizard from the menu.
6)I was furtunate, someone (a forum member, can't recall who -- but thanks very much!) sent me a PPD file for my Brother HL2040, which is in the current Puppy. I think he stated that he got it from linuxprinting.org. I don't know much about getting these extra PPDs, but you could try that site for your printer.

pakt

#35 Post by pakt »

BarryK wrote:6)I was furtunate, someone (a forum member, can't recall who -- but thanks very much!) sent me a PPD file for my Brother HL2040, which is in the current Puppy.
It was I - you're welcome 8)
BarryK wrote: I think he stated that he got it from linuxprinting.org. I don't know much about getting these extra PPDs, but you could try that site for your printer.
That's correct - start looking on linuxprinting.org. Lots of clues there :wink:
Paul

gilsont

2.17 mwave syntax error

#36 Post by gilsont »

The mwavem script in the 2.17 alpha has a syntax error when calculating the country code - there is a $ sign missing in front of the variable name in the country code sed statement which generates the syntax error.

jcoder24

#37 Post by jcoder24 »

I too have seen the issue with country selection. Selecting Other and hitting enter just displays a new blank line but does not boot. Hitting enter again then causes the system load a us keymap and continue booting. Select another option like USA.... the system loads the keymap and immediately continues booting.

As for the printer setup there are two options "Printer Wizard" ie PDQ and "CUPS Printer Wizard" cups printing wizard works fine to setup the printer (couldn't test if it actually works since I don't have a printer). For the PDQ, it gives the xdialog error and once you by pass that it continues and ask you a series of questions eg, quality, type of paper etc. After answering all of these questions an xmessage window pops up:

Code: Select all

You aint done it right.
There is no default printer selected.
Press OK to try again...
Pressing OK (or click the X) brings back up the xmessage window and goes on indefinitely.

I have a few question:
1) Is it the intention to have both printing system available?
2) If so which one is set to be the default one?
3) How can one switch between the two systems?
Last edited by jcoder24 on Tue 10 Jul 2007, 13:58, edited 2 times in total.

cb88

#38 Post by cb88 »

heres the deal
have three types of pc that i have tested on.
two desktops and a laptop
desktop#1 semprom w/nvidia gforce2 400mmx
desktop#2 pentium4 w/ hyperthreading w/ nvidia 6200(card) and intel 945G(integrated two show up in win control panel?)
laptop#1 pentium2 300mhz 64mb ram neomagic 256av video chip 2.5mb video ram claimed to be 3d accelerated by HP-compaq specs.

on the laptop xvesa gives me a garbled blue screen after i quit X(occured somtimes in 2.16).press release for neomagic chip in my laptop>>
http://www.neomagic.com/press/1998/981102.asp
glxinfo in a console returns Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0". about 20 times with a few codes in between.
glxgears repeat the glxinfo error once and adds this "Error: couldn't get an RGB, double buffer visual."

xorg just crashes when i try to run it on the desktops

desktop#2 the part that bothers me is that intelfb is loaded while there is no kernel module loaded for the nvidia card the intel card should be disabled in the bios

desktop 1 nvidia card and xorg still crashes it also has an integrated video chip that is not used.

I will test tonight on desktop #3 w/ nvidia geforce2 400mmx that does not have an integrated chip

here are some of the log files from desktop#2 I found interesting
Attachments
somename.tar.gz
(12.48 KiB) Downloaded 427 times

pakt

Printer wizard gives Xdialog help page

#39 Post by pakt »

Ah, now I see what happened when I tried using the Printer Wizard. It (the one in the menu) apparently still points to the old wizard (which contains an Xdialog syntax error).

When I execute in a terminal
# cups_shell
the new CUPS wizard works. I added my Brother HL-2030 printer, configured it and it prints out a test page correctly - very nice!

Paul

EDIT: I just checked the menu again. I see that I (naturally) chose 'Printer Wizard' under 'Setup'. But I should have chosen either 'CUPS Printer Wizard' under 'Setup' or 'CUPS manage printing' under 'System'. Confusing :!:

pakt

#40 Post by pakt »

PaulBx1 wrote:6) I have a Canon pixma ip1700 printer. The website pointed at by the CUPS setup suggests using the ip2200 driver, and points me to the Canon site. It also mentions getting a ppd file. I found no ppd file there, nor a driver. The Canon site had a download package of rpm files. So my first brush with CUPS makes me want to just drop the idea of printing in linux, and go back to "sneakernet", printing on my wife's Windows machine. :roll:
Canon printers are difficult to set up for CUPS if you don't use one of the major distros. However I found this info on the net that should help:
(from: http://jeandamiendurand.free.fr/serendi ... /4-General )
Canon iP1700
Argh, my previous printer died with a mechanical problem, and I though I'd better buy something, not professional - no, a printer for normal use, and cheap. I choosed the Canon iP1700 printer.

And, well, no native driver for Linux/CUPS.

Fortunately, as indicated here at openprinting.org, the driver for the iP2200 would work. And hey! There are debian packages for it:

#
## Canon ip1700 (the ip2200 drivers works with it)
#
deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/debian ./

I installed them, changed two lines in the iP2200 ppd file:

% diff /usr/share/cups/model/canonip2200.orig.ppd /usr/share/cups/model/canonip2200.ppd
48,49c48,49
< *MaxMediaWidth: "612"
< *MaxMediaHeight: "1656"
---
> *MaxMediaWidth: "215"
> *MaxMediaHeight: "584"

and choosed explicitely this modified iP2200 ppd file in the CUPS configuration. Works.
HTH,
Paul