CUPS in Hand (2.17 experimental feedback)

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Marco_Inge

#61 Post by Marco_Inge »

BarryK wrote:Ah, the Smartlink drive, very good. Could I bother you with one more request, type this in a terminal window:
# lsmod
... do you see any entry fo 'slusb' or 'slamr'?
slamr 434728 2
... what entry is there for sound? It will be something starting with 'snd_'
(note, just drag mouse over text to highlight, it will automatically be in the clipboard)
snd_intel8x0 34500 0
snd_ac97_codec 97700 1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus 2432 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm 78992 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer 23432 1 snd_pcm
snd 52324 6 snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_ codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 7904 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 10248 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

Does sound work on your system? -- you can test, go to /usr/share/audio and click on a sound file.
Yes, Puppy is woofing as usual :-)
The rason I ask that, is Smartlink can use some ALSA sound drivers for the modem, but in some cases it is known to clash with sound support.

Note, Smartlink has been bought out by Conexant. I hope that doesn't mean the end of the free Smartlink driver support.

msumner

#62 Post by msumner »

Dougal wrote:Since you mention this... the latest kernel also hasn't got SOFTWARE_SUSPEND turned on, which would be good for laptop users who want to use the "suspend2" package for suspend/hibernate.
Yes, Barry, please do this as I and several others have been wanting to get suspend and hibernate working for some time. Would this also help with the problem that closing the laptop lid crashes the system? That frequently drives me nuts!
Cheers, Mike

BarryK
Puppy Master

#63 Post by BarryK »

kirk wrote: I've been trying to make gxine look a little sharper with DVD playback. One of the things on the gxine FAQ list is to build the kernel for 1000hz. Noticed puppy's kernel (2.6.18 & 2.6.21) is set to 100hz.
I am being very conservative with the kernel config for now, staying with 100Hz. When we move to pup 2.20 (or 3.00) then will explore some bolder kernel config changes.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#64 Post by BarryK »

Dougal wrote: the latest kernel also hasn't got SOFTWARE_SUSPEND turned on, which would be good for laptop users who want to use the "suspend2" package for suspend/hibernate.
Okay. It looks like I'll be sticking with the current packages-base for the immediate future, so I'll do one more kernel recompile before bringing out 2.17alpha. If I turn on SOFTWARE_SUSPEND, is that guaranteed to not cause any problems for PCs that don't want it?

jimhap

#65 Post by jimhap »

Is it the base packages proposed in the 2.17 list, or the 2.16 base packages list?

And are they different? (Just in case you kept it the same)

Weird questions right? :oops: Just making sure I don't jump upgrade again....

jimhap

John Doe

#66 Post by John Doe »

First report:

SD
Tried out an internal SD reader on my neighbor's laptop. Pmount saw it but gave an error on mount but DID mount ok. MUT didn't see it (didn't check but looked liked the new MUT didn't make it into this dress rehearsal).

Serial Modem
Machine in the Out house had serial modem autodetected and set up successfully.

WakePup
Didn't even look for it in the image but I'll fine tune some of those menus one last time for wakepup. I just spewed out what I had for the day that last time and drifted off into electronics again.

HFS
Noticed the modules made it into the squash. Dougal had me run something that saw my partition, will have to double check that. I'll try to get some "rough draft code" tested to get it into pmount and mut.

It would be a shame to get so close and leave it out with, having the sound wizard and all other imac stuff supported.

Puppy should be like a "master key". We're almost there.

msumner

#67 Post by msumner »

BarryK wrote:If I turn on SOFTWARE_SUSPEND, is that guaranteed to not cause any problems for PCs that don't want it?
I'm not qualified to answer that, but if anyone else is interested, everything you need to know should be at http://www.suspend2.net/

BarryK
Puppy Master

#68 Post by BarryK »

jimhap wrote:Is it the base packages proposed in the 2.17 list, or the 2.16 base packages list?

And are they different? (Just in case you kept it the same)

Weird questions right? :oops: Just making sure I don't jump upgrade again....

jimhap
2.17 has the same base-packages as 2.16, 2.14, 2.13...
I compiled all the base-packages using T2 and that became v2.10, so that's when the current set of "base-packages" started.
We have changed kernel version a couple of times, and 2.17 is another change of kernel, that's all.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#69 Post by BarryK »

John Doe wrote:Tried out an internal SD reader on my neighbor's laptop. Pmount saw it but gave an error on mount but DID mount ok.
I'm very curious, what error did you get, and how did you get it? -- I mean, did you run pmount from a teminal window and get the error on stderr?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#70 Post by BarryK »

msumner wrote:
BarryK wrote:If I turn on SOFTWARE_SUSPEND, is that guaranteed to not cause any problems for PCs that don't want it?
I'm not qualified to answer that, but if anyone else is interested, everything you need to know should be at http://www.suspend2.net/
from brief reading at that site, it seems to need a kernel patch.

Dougal

#71 Post by Dougal »

John Doe wrote:Machine in the Out house had serial modem autodetected and set up successfully.
Machine in the Out house? Have you been following the coffee HOWTO?
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

willhunt

#72 Post by willhunt »

so am I to take the lack of a reply that I'm the only person to have the /ect
problem?
[url=http://hostfile.org/icepak.pet]176 Icewm Themes :!:[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/39fl3x]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/2q7cbp]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]

grndoor

#73 Post by grndoor »

I have a Laptop with an internal CD drive which is faulty.

I therefore boot the Puppy Live CD from an external USB Drive which shows up on /dev/sr0.

With the Puppy 2.16/2.16.1 Live CD I have to use the "pmedia=usb" or "pmedia=usbcd" boot parameter to force a boot from the external USB CD Drive.

With the 2.17 Experimental Live CD this method no longer works and the boot process fails with an error message:

"ERROR, cannot find Puppy on 'usbcd' boot media"

Doing a "diff" on the 216 and 217 "init" files includes:

929c944,946
< [ ! "`test-scsi | grep '/scd'`" = "" ] && PMEDIA='satacd'
---
> #[ ! "`test-scsi | grep -E '/scd|/sr'`" = "" ] && PMEDIA='satacd' #v2.17 added sr
> #[ "`grep -E ' scd| sr' /proc/diskstats`" != "" ] && PMEDIA='satacd' #v2.17
> [ "`ls -1 /sys/block | grep -E '^scd|^sr'`" != "" ] && PMEDIA='satacd' #v2.17

Running the above 217 "init" command, "ls -1 /sys/block | grep -E '^scd|^sr'", from the command line left after the failed 217 boot, produces "sr0".

The USB CD Drive is therefore being partially recognised.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#74 Post by BarryK »

grndoor wrote:I therefore boot the Puppy Live CD from an external USB Drive which shows up on /dev/sr0.

With the Puppy 2.16/2.16.1 Live CD I have to use the "pmedia=usb" or "pmedia=usbcd" boot parameter to force a boot from the external USB CD Drive.

With the 2.17 Experimental Live CD this method no longer works and the boot process fails with an error message:

"ERROR, cannot find Puppy on 'usbcd' boot media"

Running the above 217 "init" command, "ls -1 /sys/block | grep -E '^scd|^sr'", from the command line left after the failed 217 boot, produces "sr0".

The USB CD Drive is therefore being partially recognised.
Okay, I'll study the logic, see if I can find where it's going wrong.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#75 Post by BarryK »

grndoor,
I looked trough the code, but can't see anything wrong. The code you showed that tests for 'sr' is not quite what you think. At that point in the script, usb-storage module has not yet loaded, and I assume that usb-storage is required before Linux can 'see' the usb dvd drive ...well, that's what I always assumed, as it applies to flash and hard drives.
So, the test at that point in the code only picks up any sata dvd drives.

But anyway, sata or usb, it's the same thing from the code logic point of view.

Well, I think I have to finally go and buy one. I won't buy a usb dvd drive though, as they are expensive, about 130 Au dollars, and after getting it working I will probably never use it again, which is really wasteful.
But, I might get a sata dvd drive -- they have come down, about 50 Au dollars.

wingruntled

#76 Post by wingruntled »

Hi
I'm having a problem with the dialup apps in 2.17. I can connect with my pci LTmodem and stay connected but!
I can connect with GKdial but GK reports that there is no modem and I can't dis-connect with it.
Pupdial will allow me to dis-connect but not dialup. I get the following error from pupdial when I try to dialup:
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41
--> Cannot open /dev/Modem = ttyLT0: No such file or directory

I tried to edit Wvdial.conf so the modem is dev/ttyLT0 and it works but only till I reboot and then I'm back where I started.
Now what?

edited to add: I'm running 2.17 on a full HD install.

John Doe

#77 Post by John Doe »

BarryK wrote:
John Doe wrote:Tried out an internal SD reader on my neighbor's laptop. Pmount saw it but gave an error on mount but DID mount ok.
I'm very curious, what error did you get, and how did you get it? -- I mean, did you run pmount from a teminal window and get the error on stderr?
Sorry, should have just kept quit on that one. I couldn't reproduce it. From memory it was one of those error dialogs like one gets when mounting an ntfs partion that was uncleanly unmount. Although the part in question was fat32.

Further internal SD reader testing...

I've got access to two machine..

A-neighbors laptop (Compaq Presario V2000) [leaves tomorrow on business for a week]
B-dad's desktop (will get info tomorrow)

A-pmount sees it mut doesn't
B-pmount and mut see it

will try save file and booting tomorrow or Monday.

John Doe

#78 Post by John Doe »

Dougal wrote:
John Doe wrote:Machine in the Out house had serial modem autodetected and set up successfully.
Machine in the Out house? Have you been following the coffee HOWTO?
:-) That looks like something I'd do.

Although the BEST way to make coffee (in my opinion) would be much more difficult to automate.

Making coffee is a complex art and requires lots of love. It's been my experience that most people probably never really get a chance to reach the pinicle of understanding about what goes into making the best cup of coffee. I will now attempt to spread the word.

1-Good dried beans stored in the fridge or freezer (further discussion required).

2-Grind your beans in burr blender (not blades) set on medium. The blades heat the oils and destroy them. The medium setting is to keep the grounds from slipping through the screen in step 3 (*see step 3).

3-Put the grounds in a french press and add boiling water.

4-Work on Puppy Linux for 10 minutes.

5-PRESS!!!! (not with that much force, we're just excited about drinking the coffee)

6-Pour into mug and flavor to taste (cream and sweatner if desired). Note the oil floating on the surface, prior to flavoring. This is an indication that you are about to really realize the full potential (flavor and strength) of the coffee. If you see no oil, try different beans or review the previous steps.

7-Enjoy.

8-optional: add stimulants and repeat. can keep puppy work going for hours.

*disclaimer. size of french press will determine output of coffee. the bigger the better.

*warning. coffee contains hundreds of carcinagens. drink tea instead.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#79 Post by BarryK »

wingruntled wrote:Hi
I'm having a problem with the dialup apps in 2.17. I can connect with my pci LTmodem and stay connected but!
I can connect with GKdial but GK reports that there is no modem and I can't dis-connect with it.
Pupdial will allow me to dis-connect but not dialup. I get the following error from pupdial when I try to dialup:
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41
--> Cannot open /dev/Modem = ttyLT0: No such file or directory

I tried to edit Wvdial.conf so the modem is dev/ttyLT0 and it works but only till I reboot and then I'm back where I started.
Now what?

edited to add: I'm running 2.17 on a full HD install.
Yes, that's a bug, fixed for 2.17alpha, due out very soon. Some other modem-detection-related bugs fixed, so for everybody reading this, wait for 2.17alpha!

vanchutr

CUPS in Puppy 217 alpha

#80 Post by vanchutr »

I successf. added the Samsung ML1610 (USB port):
1. Copy the Samsung-ML-1610-gdi.ppd to /usr/share/cups/model
2. Run CUPS: System -> CUPS mange printing - Add printer
3. Print a test page: Good!

PS: If you didn't have a default printer and you go directly to `Setup -> Printer wizard ->...' May be you will get trouble!

Thank Barry and all puppians