Printing with CUPS: Almost here ! (Finally HERE!)

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.

#21 Post by Guest »

Dewdrop:

Please do the following:

1. Delete the log file with the following command

Code: Select all

rm -f /var/log/cups/error_log.
2. Try to print the test page.
3. Tar the error_log file with the following command:

tar -czf /root/log.tar.gz /var/log/cups/error_log
4. Send the log.tar.gz file as an attachment.

You don't need to send more screen prints.

dewdrop

CUPS

#22 Post by dewdrop »

Dewdrop:

Please do the following:

1. Delete the log file with the following command
Code:
rm -f /var/log/cups/error_log.

2. Try to print the test page.
3. Tar the error_log file with the following command:
Code:
tar -czf /root/log.tar.gz /var/log/cups/error_log

4. Send the log.tar.gz file as an attachment.

You don't need to send more screen prints.
Hi Guest,

I believe that I've done as you have requested, and still no action from the printer. rather than attach the log file....which as you will see..the instructions didn't make...I've attached one more printscreen. I believe this will show either where I have erred in carrying out your request, or why it wouldn't prepare the requested error log.

Since the requested action is "way over my head" in terms of using the command line, I may very well have "goofed" in typing in the request. If I have please show me the error(s) of my ways, and I'll try get the error log so that you may be able to see what's happening.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Dewdrop
Last edited by dewdrop on Sun 04 Sep 2005, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

rarsa

#23 Post by rarsa »

Really, I don't need screen prints, actually they waste a lot of space on the server and make it very slow for other users on modem to read the thread.

You know: You can copy the text from the console if you highlight the console text with the mouse and press ctrl-C (Keep the Ctrl key in the keyboard pressed and press the "C" key), you can then paste it in the browser pressing Ctrl-V.

For the little I can see in your screen print and by the message you got, it seems that you forgot to press the <space > key between parameters.

Here is the command again with loooots of spaces so you can see where to inster the spaces:

tar    -czf     /root/log.tar.gz       /var/log/cups/error_log
Please don't post more screen prints unless I ask for one, OK? You can also edit the previous posts and remove the images. (That's only to be nice to the rest of the readers).

dewdrop

CUPS

#24 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Rarsa,

I have deleted the printscreen as you requested. Being on a cable modem, I forget that other people don't have the luxury of the speed I have. :oops: :oops:

Now, that said, I went back to the beginning and downloaded your tarred file - cups-install.tar.gz. This time I noticed that there seemed to be an additional file - cupsconf.tar.gz...... along with the cups-install.sh, espgs-install.sh, and hpijs-install.sh files. Did you have the cupsconf.tar.gz inside of your original cups-install.tar.gz file? And should it have been untarred? --- I did untar it, and came up with 9 additional items.

I believe I have done as you instructed with the deletions and have a file called log.tar.gz which is attached. Hopefully, this is what you are looking for.

Finally, this is what the x-term window looked like after your deletion requests were executed:

`usr/share/ppd/HP/HP-OfficeJet_G55-hpijs.ppd.gz' -> `/usr/share/ppd/HP/HP-OfficeJet_G55-hpijs.ppd.gz'
`usr/share/ppd/HP/HP-DeskJet_632C-hpijs.ppd.gz' -> `/usr/share/ppd/HP/HP-DeskJet_632C-hpijs.ppd.gz'
# /etc/rc.d/rc.cups restart
cups: restarted scheduler.
# rm -f /var/log/cups/error_log.
# tar -czf /root/log.tar.gz /var/log/cups/error_log
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
#

Are we getting any closer? I :D

Dewdrop
Attachments
log.tar.gz
(1.05 KiB) Downloaded 444 times

rarsa

#25 Post by rarsa »

Dewdrop:

I don't know if its a read herring but there were some bad lines in the configuration file.

I didn't notice them because they didn't cause any problem for me.

And by the way, you didn't have to untar the cupsconfig.tar.gz. my installation script untars it to the appropriate location.

Please do the following:

1. Delete log files with

rm    /var/log/cups/*
2. Download the installer again
3. Run the "sh cups-install.sh"
4. Try to print the test page
5. Tar the log files with

tar -xvzf log.tar.gz /var/log/cups/*

6. Send me the file

dewdrop

CUPS

#26 Post by dewdrop »

rm /var/log/cups/*

2. Download the installer again
3. Run the "sh cups-install.sh"
4. Try to print the test page
5. Tar the log files with
Code:
tar -xvzf log.tar.gz /var/log/cups/*

6. Send me the file
Rarsa,

I tried the instructions noted above. No luck.

I only ran the sh cups-install.sh script...not the others that I've run in the past.

I tried to tar the log files as noted above, and as far as I know they were not generated since I couldn't find them on/in any of the directories. Thus, I'm not able to send them to you.

Here is the xterm window info that was produced - I'm in way over my head, but hopefully I'm being of some help as you try to figure this out for me. You will not that the first try I forgot the * at the end of the instructions...I don't even know if that might make a difference...a failed attempt, I mean.

Dewdrop

mime.convs
mime.types
ppds.dat
printers.conf
pstoraster.convs
modprobe printer
Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.29/modules.dep
/etc/rc.d/rc.cups start
cups: started scheduler.
# tar -xvzf log.tar.gz /var/log/cups
tar (child): log.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: /var/log/cups: Not found in archive
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
#
# tar -xvzf log.tar.gz /var/log/cups/*
tar (child): log.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: /var/log/cups/access_log: Not found in archive
tar: /var/log/cups/error_log: Not found in archive
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
#

rarsa

#27 Post by rarsa »

Oops, sorry its

tar -cvzf log.tar.gz /var/log/cups
the -x parameter is to extract the -c parameter is to create.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#28 Post by Lobster »

8) Just to say am reading this - getting the Holy Grail of Cups working with much interest.
I hope to blow the dust off my old Canon BJC 210 and print something.

Sadly my first printer - a daisywheel with a print speed of 1 page in 5 minutes is no longer with me . . .
I also have a HP Deskjet 500 (monochrome only) that is sure to print.

Great team work - good luck
(Lobster cheering from the side lines and waving whiskers enthusiastically)

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dewdrop

CUPS

#29 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Lobster,

And welcome to the Puzzle Palace. It's fun being part of a team (although I'm a minor part, I believe). I remember as a kid doing picture puzzles with my Dad and friends. Then we were all in one room. Here we do the same activity....looking for the pieces that fit together... with a little more space involved. :D

Dewdrop

....and now to continue with the puzzle.....

rarsa

#30 Post by rarsa »

bladehunter wrote:So the only draw back I can see is people not willing to put the effort into finding the correct drivers for their printer, I know it sux bigtime but that's the way it is.
I'm answering this comment in a different thread: Why people don't read the instructions

rarsa

#31 Post by rarsa »

dewdrop wrote: It's fun being part of a team (although I'm a minor part, I believe)
As I said before, It's well known that we developers aren't good at testing our own creations. It does not matter how much time a developer puts into something if it does not work. So, I would say that your part is not minor. On the contrary, it's fundamental.

Funny thing. At work testers know how happy I am everytime they find a bug in my work. Better them than the client, eh?

dewdrop

CUPS

#32 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Rarsa,

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm having a slight problem getting the localhost to connect this morning, so as I am waiting I decided I should check on the USB Connection area and see what I could see. This is what was listed for the printer as far as where the information is located (I guess).

/proc/bus/usb/devices

I have no idea if this is of any help or not.

Dewdrop
Last edited by dewdrop on Mon 05 Sep 2005, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

dewdrop

CUPS

#33 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Rarsa,

Trying to get a connection to localhost this morning is a real pain so I'm going to give it a rest for a couple hours or so.

I did notice a difference in your instructions for the tar

the first one was tar -xvzf log.tar.gz/var/log/cups/*

the second was tar -cvzf log.tar.gz/var/log/cups

I know about the x and c difference from your posts. My question has to do with the * - asterisk - is it there on not?

Dewdrop

rarsa

#34 Post by rarsa »

My mistake. It's with the *. As in DOS or windows or many other regular expresions, the * is a wild card meaning "everything"

tar -cvzf   log.tar.gz   /var/log/cups/*
This comamnd says
tar : execute the tar command
-c : Creating a new tar file
-v : verbose. Show me what you are doing.
-z : After taring the files, compress them with gzip
-f log.tar.gz : into a file called log.tar.gz
/var/log/cups/* : and include all the files under the /var/log/cups/ folder.

dewdrop

CUPS

#35 Post by dewdrop »

Rarsa,

Thanks for the explanation. I restarted the attempt to comply with your previous request and still got the unable to connect message. So, I thought to myself - why not see what comes up with a search of http:localhost:631.

Lo! and behold! I found this and it seems to be working.....so now it's back to the instructions with a fresh start.

Dewdrop

(what follows came off of some forum about localhost:631, but I'm just sending the part I found of help)

"I guess I would post this here instead of the slackware forum.
I have downloaded all drivers and filters I need for my printer but when I try to access the web interface I get this error.
quote:

The connection was refused when attempting to connect to http://localhost:631/

I'm assuming that because I'm behind a router that it denied the connection. Would need to forward the port for 631 to my linux box so I can access the web interface? If so I guess I will do that and then disable the option after I get that setup for security reasons. In all the guides and tutorials I've read none have nevered mentioned about having to do this.

localhost:631 is an internal web page on the machine you are at. The "connection refused" message usually means that cupsd is not running. To check this, open a terminal and su root. Then type "cupsd" to try to start the daemon. If it was not running before, you should just get a new bash prompt. If you get a "cupsd: Child exited with status 98!", then cups is running and there is something else wrong. If it does start ok, then you should be able to access localhost:631 using the root username and password."

In my case, I simply got the new bash prompt, so I assume for whatever reason my daemon was not running. - Newbie ? - what a daemon?

Dewdrop

dewdrop

CUPS

#36 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Rarsa,

Still a no go on the HP 6540 - the one I'll stick with, then once we get this one working, I expect the other one HP 3320 will work too.

As you will see from the information below, I had to do the "cupsd" to restart the daemon since I couldn't open the 631 site again.

I have no idea if this is what is keeping the operation from being a success or not....I kind of wish that some of the other people watching and trying to get their printers connected as they follow our adventures would chime in with success stories... :D

Anyway, I've attached the log file.

Thanks.

Dewdrop

I just realized that I didn't include the info from the xterm screen. Here it is:

`usr/share/cups/fonts/Courier-BoldOblique' -> `/usr/share/cups/fonts/Courier-BoldOblique'
`usr/share/cups/fonts/Courier-Bold' -> `/usr/share/cups/fonts/Courier-Bold'
`usr/share/cups/data/psglyphs' -> `/usr/share/cups/data/psglyphs'
`usr/share/cups/data/HPGLprolog' -> `/usr/share/cups/data/HPGLprolog'
`usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps' -> `/usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps'
classes.conf
client.conf
cupsd.conf
mime.convs
mime.types
ppds.dat
printers.conf
pstoraster.convs
modprobe printer
Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.29/modules.dep
/etc/rc.d/rc.cups start
cups: started scheduler.
# cupsd
# tar -cvzf log.tar.gz /var/log/cups/*
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
var/log/cups/access_log
var/log/cups/error_log
Attachments
log.tar.gz
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 455 times

rarsa

#37 Post by rarsa »

Let's do what the error_log says.

Open the configuration file with leafpad

leafpad   /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
and change the line that says "LogLevel info" to "LogLevel debug". Close and save the file

Then do the following (same as previous instructions):
- Delete the log files,
- Try to print the test page,
- Tar the log files
- Send me the log files again.

Make sure that you pack the files just after trying to print the test page. I want to see the error that you get right after you try it.

By the way.

Are you available to do an online test tonight? we could join in the irc channel and try to speed things up. I'll be online about 9:00 PM EST (that is GMT -5)

dewdrop

CUPS

#38 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Rarsa,

This really threw me for a loop. I have no idea how to carry out the instructions using leafpad.

Also, I'd be willing to tothe IRC Channel thing, but I've never done that before either.....

With my limited knowledge, would the IRC chat be productive for you?

I expect that the 9pm EST (GMT -5) do you mean EDT (Eastern Daylight Time?) .... that's 8pm CDT (Central Daylight Time) for me....in other words in approximately 18 minutes....I have 7:42pm here.

I'll see if I can get the IRC Channel in these remaining minutes before 8pm.

Dewdrop

dewdrop

CUPS

#39 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Rarsa,

I believe that I'm hooked into the IRC Chat channel for puppy.

I have the IRC Chat set up on GAIM. Is that correct? It is now 8:26pm my time.....9:26pm EDT.

Dewdrop

dewdrop

CUPS

#40 Post by dewdrop »

Rarsa,

Here's the log file.

Dewdrop
Attachments
log.tar.gz
(3.75 KiB) Downloaded 453 times