CUPS in Hand (2.17 experimental feedback)

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

CUPS in Hand (2.17 experimental feedback)

#1 Post by Lobster »

Barry has uploaded a cutting edge 2.17 experimental Puppy. I know I shouldn't but I am downloading it now - if I run with the suggested "puppy pfix=ram" option at boot I will be OK (I really should have a test machine)
The pfix=ram allows running safe so I will be OK

Perhaps the most interesting (potentially) is the CUPS printing support. Was Rarsa and Babbs our original CUPS creator and tester? Boy that team worked hard. Are they about?

Expert help required. Your Puppy needs you.

http://www.puppylinux.com/news/
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

8-bit

#2 Post by 8-bit »

I downloaded Puppy 217 experimental iso fine. But when I try to download DEVX 217, it seems to expand as text and just shows a bunch of garbage in my browser rather than pop up a download manager! Was it a bad upload to the site???

John Doe

Re: CUPS in Hand

#3 Post by John Doe »

Lobster wrote:Are they about?
I hope rarsa is just enjoying the nice weather in the northern hemisphere (we are geologically "close"). He vanished around the time the snow thawed. Probably out having fun like I should be.

No idea on babbs.

John Doe

#4 Post by John Doe »

8-bit wrote:...when I try to download DEVX 217, it seems to expand as text and just shows a bunch of garbage in my browser rather than pop up a download manager!
right click and select save as.
8-bit wrote:Was it a bad upload to the site???

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# md5sum -c devx_217.sfs.md5.txt                         
devx_217.sfs: OK
sh-3.00# 
I downloaded and checked ok. Looks like upload was ok (haven't used it yet).

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Please be sure to heed my warning not to use/upgrade an existing 'pup_save' file.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

This is default background - I may post it under 'My Puppy is more gorgeous than yours' . . . :D

Initially I used the Puppy pfix=ram option but Puppy jammed -

Tried to get a command prompt without luck
then I used the Puppy (forget the exact command) something like NOG (for NOGUI probably) option
then I ran xorgwizard
and typed xwin

- so this really is cutting edge and must be handled carefully DO NOT USE ON a WORKING MACHINE or make sure you are prepared to lose work

Anyway I am in and connected :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

I have fixed CUPS. I'll announce that on the blog.

kirk

#8 Post by kirk »

Tried out 2.17 test on a couple laptops. Here's a list of problems:

Dell lattitude d610:

1) All built in hardware was detected including the ipw2200 wifi and the modem . Tried to connect using the modem, but get a NO DIALTONE message. The test button says it's OK. I think it's an slmodem:

DESCRIPTION: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 266d KERNEL MODULE: slamr

Does work in Windos. Sorry I don't know much about modems. Never used one in linux. Willing to try.

2) I booted up with my rt2570 ralink usb wifi card plugged in. Puppy loaded the rt73 driver instead of the rt2570. I think Dougal had worked on this problem. Anyway, I tried his usb stuff and it did load the correct module.

Acer Aspire 3690:

1) The built-in bcm43xx wifi card doesn't work. The interface shows up (eth1), but can't connect. This does work in 2.16. I thought that maybe the firmware was bad so I tried the old firmware I had. No joy.

2) Hoped the 5 in one CF reader would work, but no luck. It does get a module loaded for it, but looks like it may need a few more. Maybe not in the kernel yet:

DESCRIPTION: ENE Technology Inc ENE PCI Memory Stick Card Reader Controller
VENDOR: 1524 DEVICE: 0530 KERNEL MODULE: unknown

DESCRIPTION: ENE Technology Inc ENE PCI Secure Digital Card Reader Controller
VENDOR: 1524 DEVICE: 0550 KERNEL MODULE: sdhci

DESCRIPTION: ENE Technology Inc FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc:
VENDOR: 1524 DEVICE: 0520 KERNEL MODULE: unknown

DESCRIPTION: ENE Technology Inc Device unknown
VENDOR: 1524 DEVICE: 0551 KERNEL MODULE: unknown

A couple other general things.

If you type iwconfig it complains that it was compiled with a different version of wireless extensions than the driver.

I had posted an update to the script that runs pureFTPD. The updated script gives the user the option of disabling root logins. It's kind of a security risk currently if you run it exposed to the internet. You'll find it here when you get a chance:

http://www.puppyos.net/forum/?1181100547

I'll attach the pupscan info and /var/messages for the laptops in case it's needed.
\

EDIT: Tried adding X3 to init2 in wvdial, now I get NO ANSWER:

-> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0V1E1S0=0&C1&D2S11=55+FCLASS=0X3
ATQ0V1E1S0=0&C1&D2S11=55+FCLASS=0X3
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT 3722840
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT 3722840
NO ANSWER

I picked up another phone while it was trying to connect, just had a dial tone.
Attachments
217-info-d610-3690.tar.gz
(8.83 KiB) Downloaded 732 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

kirk, you shouldn't have to edit wvdial.conf, PupDial has a checkbox for turning off dialtone check.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

2) I booted up with my rt2570 ralink usb wifi card plugged in. Puppy loaded the rt73 driver instead of the rt2570. I think Dougal had worked on this problem. Anyway, I tried his usb stuff and it did load the correct module.
Is there a thread with the full story on this?
I do recall seeing something in some code that Dougal posted, wondered what that was about.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

Lobster, that's interesting. The snapshot indicates Puppy has found a Pctel software modem, but the 'setserial' program (used to initialise the modem) has crashed.
Would that be true, you have such a modem? If so, I will have to disable setserial for it.

kirk

#12 Post by kirk »

kirk, you shouldn't have to edit wvdial.conf, PupDial has a checkbox for turning off dialtone check.
Didn't notice, unchecked the boxes, same result NO ANSWER.
Is there a thread with the full story on this?
I do recall seeing something in some code that Dougal posted, wondered what that was about.
Forgot, that was a PM Dougal sent me, had me test out his USB detection stuff, think he Posted it in the developer forum. He just mentioned that there was a problem with rt2570 and rt73. Anyway, it did detect the rt2570 correctly. Dougal's got some other really neat things in the works, hopefully he'll get them out soon.....Hint,Hint :)

217test seems pretty quick. Is this with LZMA compression?

tempestuous

#13 Post by tempestuous »

kirk wrote:If you type iwconfig it complains that it was compiled with a different version of wireless extensions than the driver.
It sounds like the new 2.6.21.x kernel has updated Linux wireless extensions.
We probably need the latest wireless tools utilities -
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tou ... Tools.html

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#14 Post by Lobster »

BarryK wrote:Lobster, that's interesting. The snapshot indicates Puppy has found a Pctel software modem, but the 'setserial' program (used to initialise the modem) has crashed.
Would that be true, you have such a modem? If so, I will have to disable setserial for it.
Below is the info that I hope is relevant for this computer (using 2.16.1)
There is a software modem disabled in bios and not connected

Code: Select all

13 input
 14 sound
 29 fb
 62 ttyS_PCTEL
116 alsa
128 ptm

linmodem(1226): linmodem v0.1 loaded
pctel_hw: module license 'GPL linked with proprietary libraries' taints kernel

linmodem(1226): linmodem v0.1 loaded
pctel_hw: module license 'GPL linked with proprietary libraries' taints kernel.
pctel_hw(151): PCTel hardware driver version 0.9.7-9-rht-6 for PCT789

pctel(670): pctel v0.1 loaded
pctel_pci(726): device 134d:7890 is grabbed by driver serial: try to release

ttyS_PCTEL0 at I/O 0xec00 (irq = 10) is a PCTel
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

Pmount is much faster, as promised :) , and it shows my swap partition. However, it says the swap partition is "currently not used," while MUT says "swap off," indicating that it is in use. The free memory box agrees with MUT. Clicking the swap icon in Pmount gave an xmessage box: "Sorry, failed to load /dev/hda7 swap partition." I saved the session to the DVD and rebooted, and the boot messages definitely say the swap partition is mounted.

I mounted the Puppy 2.17 alpha DVD. When I unmounted it, the tray slid out, which I guess is a good thing, just unexpected. Then when I clicked the "drives" desktop icon it did not slide back in as it used to if it was out when Pmount started, though Pmount still showed the icon for the DVD drive. When I clicked the DVD drive icon the tray was sucked in, as it should be. Showing the DVD drive icon in Pmount when the tray is out was unexpected, but I think it's a good thing, and Pmount works correctly as far I tested it..

tempestuous

#16 Post by tempestuous »

Puppy 2.16's kernel has Wireless Extensions v20, and its Wireless-Tools are stated as compatible for v11 to v21.
But Puppy 2.17's kernel has Wireless Extensions v22, so upgraded Wireless-Tools are definitely needed.

So I now attach Wireless-Tools for Puppy 2.17, stable v28, and beta v29pre22.
These were compiled in Vector Linux with kernel 2.6.21.5 using Barry's preliminary kernel config.
The exact kernel config should not matter, it's the Wireless Extensions version which determines compatibility.
Attachments
Wireless_tools28-k2.6.21.5.pet
(62.83 KiB) Downloaded 1091 times
wireless_tools29pre22-k2.6.21.5.pet
(67.13 KiB) Downloaded 1063 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Tue 03 Jul 2007, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

tempestuous, great, saves me from having to compile it.

flash, okay, I'll check the logic where it tests if the swap partition is loaded.

zygo

#18 Post by zygo »

Hi,
I booted 2.17 exp1 from cd - no hd.

- The connect applet reports no modem found. I have an external hw modem. As I reported earlier on this forum http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9&start=21 puppyserialdetects give different results depending on how it is invoked.

- pmount is faster because it doesn't spin-up the cd when is starts up :D
I would rather it did not eject afer unmounting though.
I'd also like the floppy drive to be put back on please.

- The time is 1 hour behind that in 216 which is correctly showing BST. The change is probably a good thing because it was wrong in xp the other day when I booted for the first time in a few months.

Thanks for puppy so far.

zygo

#19 Post by zygo »

When I copy my wvdial.conf to /etc/ it is not properly read by PupDial. My file's Init1 and Init2 were generated by wvdial in 2.14. I entered 'Init3 = ATM0' myself (so that I didn't have to listen to the dialing and screeching). I don't know if they could all go in one Init string. Init2 has several space-separated items in it but PupDial reads only up to the first space. Init3 is not shown in PupDial.

kirk

#20 Post by kirk »

Barry,

I found a new source for the rtl8180 wifi driver that wouldn't compile. On this project's home page they claim it will build on 2.6.21.

http://rtl-wifi.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page

I downloaded their SVN today. I'll attach it.