Mini-volume icon gone from tray after installing IceWM

Booting, installing, newbie
comic

Mini-volume icon gone from tray after installing IceWM

#1 Post by comic »

Everything was well until I decided to install Icewm into puppy linux. After the installation my mini-volume and freememory applet were gone from the tray.
I installed latest version of freememaplet and used startup script to recover it to tray. So that went well.
But I still have this nagging problem that I can't get my mini-volume back in the tray where it belongs.
I added something to the startup script so the mini-volume appears in the left corner above when linux starts up but that is very annoying, and I just can't seem to get it back to the tray.
Please HELP!

Here's my startup script:

#!/bin/sh
# this script is executed by starticewm when IceWM starts

killall icesound
icesound &

killall icewmtray
icewmtray &

# dockapps, we must kill each to
# avoid multiple starts when switching a theme

killall icedock
icedock &

# icedock needs a moment to start, so delay the apps
sleep 2

killall mini-volume.tcl
mini-volume.tcl &
killall volume.app
#volume.app &
killall wmfishtime
#wmfishtime &
killall wmix
#wmix &
killall wmpower
#wmpower &
killall wmsm
#wmsm &
killall wmtop
#wmtop &
killall wmweather
#wmweather-starter &
killall wmxmms
#wmxmms &

###################################################################
# you can choose to use the tray of icewm, or the external xystray
#
# uncomment what you like
#

#killall xystray
#sleep 2 && /usr/local/xystray-trayicons/run-xystray &

killall freememapplet-tray
sleep 2 && iu_nice -n 19 /root/my-applications/freememapplet_tray_puppy215ce/freememapplet-tray &

killall blinky
sleep 2 && /root/my-applications/blinky-0.8-icewm/src/blinky -bg "" &

killall mini-volume
sleep 2 && /usr/sbin/mini-volume.tcl -bg gray90 -mixer /usr/sbin/pvolume-mixer.tcl &

WhoDo

Re: Mini-volume icon gone from tray after installing IceWM

#2 Post by WhoDo »

comic wrote:I can't get my mini-volume back in the tray where it belongs.
In IceWM, the mini-volume doesn't go in the tray in the same way as it did under JWM. There are a number of ways to do it, but IMHO the best way is to add the following to your /root/.icewm/toolbar file

Code: Select all

prog "Volume" mixer pvolume-mixer.tcl
You can do that by choosing Edit QuickLaunch Menu from the Quick Launch Menu folder on your taskbar.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

comic

#3 Post by comic »

WhoDo thank you for your reply. But that solution only enables me to start mini volume quickly. I would like however to have that icon in the tray all the time just like with the default puppy JWM.
Does this mean that with the IceWM this is disabled. Doesn't anyone have a solution for this?

WhoDo

#4 Post by WhoDo »

comic wrote:I would like however to have that icon in the tray all the time just like with the default puppy JWM.
If you put it outside the Quick Launch Menu folder you will get the icon on your taskbar, all the time, just like in JWM. Place the subject line right at the very end of the file, and restart X. Here is a screenshot of my taskbar to show what I mean.
comic wrote:Does this mean that with the IceWM this is disabled. Doesn't anyone have a solution for this?
Not disabled, just not ported or not ported properly. Someone with more programming ability and time than me has to use the eggtrayicon support in IceWM to port mini-volume so it can be started in the system tray.

You might also consider looking at the second option outlined in the EZpup Help page on the wiki. It's flaky, but it will give you what you want ... maybe.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

vovchik

pvolume-mixer.tcl in Icewm tray

#5 Post by vovchik »

I also had the same problem and solved it by using the alltray utility. Alltray will let you choose an icon and let you put any application you want in the system tray area, including pvolume-mixer.tcl Attached is alltray0.66.tar.gz that works in Puppy 2.xx. You can run gunzip on a copy of the downloaded file in, for instance, your /tmp dir and then copy the /tmp/usr dir to /usr with rox. There is documentation in the archive that should get you started.

With kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
alltray0.66.tar.gz
(67.38 KiB) Downloaded 891 times

vovchik

A less CPU-intensive solution

#6 Post by vovchik »

I just replaced pvolume-mixer-tcl with gaumix since I noticed that pvolume-mixer was consuming an inordinate number of CPU clock cycles. You may wish to do the same, or give pvolume-mixer a very low priority - something that I will now try.

With kind regards,
vovchik

WhoDo

Re: pvolume-mixer.tcl in Icewm tray

#7 Post by WhoDo »

vovchik wrote:Alltray will let you choose an icon and let you put any application you want in the system tray area, including pvolume-mixer.tcl Attached is alltray0.66.tar.gz that works in Puppy 2.xx. You can run gunzip on a copy of the downloaded file in, for instance, your /tmp dir and then copy the /tmp/usr dir to /usr with rox. There is documentation in the archive that should get you started.
Hmmmm....seems to require the Gnome libraries, vovchik. I downloaded and installed as per instructions and I get a missing glibconf error when attempting to run.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

i have alltray 0.69 installed, which does not seem to have any gnome dependencies
Attachments
alltray69.tar.gz
alltray 0.69 executable
(33.71 KiB) Downloaded 881 times

vovchik

WhoDo, you're right

#9 Post by vovchik »

Dear WhoDo,

Sorry, you're right. The required gnome libs are:
  • libgconf-2.so.4
    libORBit-2.so.0
    • I had installed MU's 8MB Gnome dotpup long ago and did not run into dependency problems as a result. Yesterday evening I tried to run alltray on another machine with Puppy 1.07 - and without MU's gnome package - and ran into the dependency problem you have described. I'll now try to install only those two libs on the 1.07 Puppy and will report the results. Otherwise, alltray is a very nice and useful little program. Shall I upload the libs and appropriate symlinks?

With kind regards,
      vovchik

PS. The two required libs take up about 500k unpacked, which is quite a bit of overhead if HD space is at a premium (not so in my case).

WhoDo

Re: WhoDo, you're right

#10 Post by WhoDo »

vovchik wrote:Otherwise, alltray is a very nice and useful little program. Shall I upload the libs and appropriate symlinks?
Not on my account, thanks, vovchik. I downloaded GuestToo's 0.69 version and it works without any dependencies. Thanks for your efforts anyway.

@GuestToo: I downloaded your later version of alltray and it works as you said it would. I'm not sure how that will help with the Pvolume issue, but we'll see. Thanks again.

vovchik

No CPU problems with this

#11 Post by vovchik »

Dear WhoDo,

I have discovered that, by making a menu entry in alltray and running absvolume, you can avoid excessive CPU use. The mixer item appears when you right-click the speaker icon. Just an idea...

With kind regards,
vovchik

alltray --skip-taskbar --geometry 100x100+830+30  --menu "mixer:pvolume-mixer.tcl" --icon /root/my-documents/icons/mini-speaker.xpm absvolume&

clarf

#12 Post by clarf »

Hi WhoDo,

I put the code: prog "Volume" mixer pvolume-mixer.tcl, in the end of the Quick launch config file. Now i have a large icon that says "Volume", from it i can launch the mixer, but i want to change the large "Volume" button for a small icon, like the screenshot of your taskbar. How i do it?.

I would'like to put the shotdown button too.... :)

WhoDo

#13 Post by WhoDo »

clarf wrote:Hi WhoDo,

I put the code: prog "Volume" mixer pvolume-mixer.tcl, in the end of the Quick launch config file. Now i have a large icon that says "Volume", from it i can launch the mixer, but i want to change the large "Volume" button for a small icon, like the screenshot of your taskbar. How i do it?.

I would'like to put the shotdown button too.... :)
You need to resize the actual icon to 24x24. The icons live either in /usr/shared/mini-icons or /usr/shared/midi-icons. The ones in the latter are usually 48x48. Rename the old icon to mixer48.xpm and then resize the original using mtPaint or GIMP.

To get the shutdown button you need to add the following code:

prog "Shutdown" exit wmpoweroff
Don't forget to resize the exit.png as above, too.

Hope that helps.

clarf

#14 Post by clarf »

Hi WhoDo thank you for the suggestion, but my problem was not related to the icons size.

After some research i found that the word "Volume" appear in the taskbar, because my Icewm didn't found a icon called mixer. In the code: [prog "Volume" mixer pvolume-mixer.tcl], the third word "mixer" is the icon name, if not found then the word "Volume" will be show. Then i fixed it, just making a copy of a related icon called mixer in /root/icewm/icons.

The same thing for the Shotdown button, now i need some good looking icons like yours... :wink: