Open letter to Distrowatch/Ladislav Bodnar.

News, happenings
Artie

#21 Post by Artie »

I tried to promote the idea of a newsgroup a while ago but gave up since it seemed too difficult.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13589

Artie

alienjeff

#22 Post by alienjeff »

John Doe wrote:Several of the individuals that seemed to raise the most decent also seemed to have mentioned in their reasoning not getting mod status. This troubles me because it seems like poor logic.
Seems (ahem) you meant "dissent" and not "decent."

-aj
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#23 Post by JohnMurga »

Flash wrote:John, it looks like you have more friends than you knew. Don't lose sleep because some grouch says something bad about this forum, or Puppy, or you. For one thing, I doubt that many of the people this forum caters to will ever read it. And even if they do, most of them will make up their own minds. Who they gonna believe, him or their two lying eyes? :D
I know, the whole thing just caught me by surprise at a time when RealLife(TM) was also taking it's toll a little ...

Either way I am very touched by the support the forum and I have received.

And I calmed down a while ago :-)

Thanks to everyone

Cheers
JohnM

PS: And if Puppy gets more attention as a consequence, GREAT :-)

jonyo

#24 Post by jonyo »

Maan..dunno how many times i've spelled it wrong :oops:
alienjeff wrote:
John Doe wrote:Several of the individuals that seemed to raise the most decent also seemed to have mentioned in their reasoning not getting mod status. This troubles me because it seems like poor logic.
Seems (ahem) you meant "dissent" and not "decent."

-aj

Dougal

#25 Post by Dougal »

John Doe wrote:Several of the individuals that seemed to raise the most decent also seemed to have mentioned in their reasoning not getting mod status.
What I don't understand is why anyone would want to be a moderator?
What's the great fun in having to read through everything that goes on in the forum, then decide if threads need to be moved to another section, or maybe renamed? And did that person say something "bad"? Great intellectual challenges.

A lengthy Amish exposition about his fantasy Puppy?
Lobster's detailed reply to MS's DWW article (especially before it was properly formatted -- which raises a question: are moderators moderated?)?
Some philosophical ramblings from Gn2, written in his unique style of shorthand?
Another manifesto from Kenny "I fried my brain on drugs as a teenager and now think I'm the Kwisatz Haderach" KLH?

All the above invoke the same reply from the "Page Down" button -- something a moderator does not have the privilege of...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

jonyo

#26 Post by jonyo »

I'd think the mods can only do so much & do not (cannot) read everything (no time).

Main job'd be when something..clearly, is gettin outa hand.

veronicathecow

#27 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi, John, I'm not active puppying at the moment due to work commitment but wanted to add my support for the fantastic forum that you run. I can only guess at how much time it has taken you. Without it I would have been stuck many times. I really don't have time to work out who said what etc, life to short to argue guys/girls so lets all choose to be the highest person we can and get on with making Puppy the best distro in the world for all users., Johns doing a great job, many many thanks.
Tony

raffy

style

#28 Post by raffy »

I posted this in the comments section of that Distrowatch article:
Clarification: This is to point out a basic difference in personal style, which can help readers understand why Mark South eventually felt alienated in the Puppy Linux forum. As I said earlier, Mark South is still a member in John Murga's forum - I hope this post helps him in some way.

Curious observers may want to see how Mark South's style sits with that of the bigger Puppy Linux forum community. The thread retrieved by PaulBx1 (see 267 above) is a good starting point:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9106

That was ONE YEAR ago, so that was about the beginning of Mark's story. If you think about it, Mark South is unlikely to survive the forum for long because of his basic difference in style from that of the bigger Puppy community.

willhunt

alt.os.linux.puppy

#29 Post by willhunt »

Ted Dog Wrote...........
alt.os.linux.puppy like the idea (the pan newreader pup is somewhere)
Now your talking post distro to newsgroup! let newsgroup servers take the
bandwidth hit and allow everyone to host there own distro just post to
newsgroup. Newsgroups are a really great way to allow everyone to share there
project because the newsgroup servers handle the bandwidth which in most
cases comes from your ISP so they are very fast!

you know all this bull over some "REAL" ppl releasing on there own dime
What IMHO is the best distro for getting M$ users to take the plung! just
really tick's you off!!

In the TWO years I've been posting and using puppylinux everyone has been
the greatest and this forum has been one of the most sanely run I have had
the privlage to participate in I could only wish to get this kind of support
anywhere else on the Net For Gratis!

I for one would like to thank "team Puppy" for making my linux experience
most enjoyable and a painless transition to linux Please keep up the Great
work.

BTW: John if you really were reaping in what you sowed you would be a rich
man Indeed
[url=http://hostfile.org/icepak.pet]176 Icewm Themes :!:[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/39fl3x]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/2q7cbp]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]

GeoffS

#30 Post by GeoffS »

I don't normally post to these threads however:-
Thank you very much John for hosting this forum - without it I would never have got myself going on Linux.
Thank you to everybody who has replied to my questions.
Thank you to everybody who has replied to all the questions, without you the forum would not exist. I should also thank those who ask the questions, without them the forum would not exist.
In all groups there are those who have abrasive personalities or are thoughtless and there will be those who are unduly sensitive. In fact, some of these traits would almost certainly go with the 'nerdy' type.
Accidents do happen (we are involved with computers :lol: ) and somebody will take it personally. Bad luck, it must not be allowed to destroy everybody else's enjoyment.
Thank you all,
Geoff

WhoDo

#31 Post by WhoDo »

Dougal wrote:Another manifesto from Kenny "I fried my brain on drugs as a teenager and now think I'm the Kwisatz Haderach" KLH?
:lol: Ah, Dune. Fascinating yet sometimes somnulent. You have me ROTFLMAO, Dougal! :lol: :lol:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

John Doe

#32 Post by John Doe »

alienjeff wrote:Seems (ahem) you meant "dissent" and not "decent."
That's funny. In retro perhaps it was a fraudian slip. (a/e ;-))

I was thinking while posting that that perhaps this was a great PR ploy.

Anyone else watching for the "MS2K Bumb" on distrowatch?

John Doe

#33 Post by John Doe »

PaulBx1 wrote:I come at it from the opposite point of view.
Thanks for the comment. Actually I agree with every bit of reasoning you gave. We actually have the same view.

Perhaps I should have dropped a '?' in that quote, at one point.

JohnM can do what he wants (and I'm not going to hold my breath or lash out). It was a request not an order.

Last time I mentioned it, it was shot down also by other friends. If the community doesn't want it, that's fine. I'll carry on. The only reason I repeated it was because I felt like there actually was a bit of genius in the caos.

jonyo

#34 Post by jonyo »

Hope a very small minority here are payin attention 8)... but doubt it :cry:
PaulBx1 wrote:I'm an admin on another forum, and we make it clear to those who join that we expect a net positive contribution from everyone. If any member gets abusive, or becomes continually disruptive or more trouble than they are worth, we boot them (after delivering a couple private warnings of course). We've had to do that maybe 3 or 4 times. It's one of the most civil forums I've been on.