DIGIKAM DOTPUP?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
msumner

DIGIKAM DOTPUP?

#1 Post by msumner »

Hi folks, I noticed the digikam icon on the teenpup screenshot, and I would like to try it in Grafpup. Is it available as a dot.pup? I cant seem to find it anywhere.
Cheers, Mike

john biles

#2 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
Alot of TEENpup2.0.0's apps were added dependency by dependency and aren't available as dotpups/pets.
Here's a screenshot of Digikam in TEENpup2.0.0
Attachments
Digikam in TEENpup2.0.0.jpg
(70.41 KiB) Downloaded 1349 times
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Nathan F

#3 Post by Nathan F »

John -

A few people have been asking me about Digikam and I was wondering a couple things about your KDE installation. Did it come from another distro, and if so which one? The biggie though is where you have kde installed, which might determine whether or not you Digikam files coule be extracted and run in Grafpup. In other words, is every thing in /usr or is it in some other directory(in Grafpup it is in what used to be the traditional KDE location, /opt/kde).

Sorry I'm buggi9ng you rather than testing myself but I'm on extended holiday and frankly can't check myself right now.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

msumner

#4 Post by msumner »

Nathan, I am in teenpup right now and there is a kde directory in /opt with bin,etc,include,lib,sbinand share directories in it. I had wondered whether I could just copy the KDE directory over to /opt in grafpup.
Mike

john biles

#5 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
Digikam came from Debian 3.1 which doesn't use opt/kde.
Debian just place's "bin" files in "bin" "usr" files in "usr"
Most of KDE in TEENpup2.0.0 is installed in opt/kde/ and came from I believe SLAX and is version 3.5.4
To get Digikam working, I had to link files from opt/kde/lib to usr/lib as Digikam was looking for them in usr/lib where SLAX has alot of the lib's in opt/kde/lib
Note: SLAX doesn't come with Digikam. I tried using Mandriva's 2006/2007 version of Digikam and kept running into problems.

I've found that Debian 3.1 is the easier Distro (NON Slackware based) to convert over to Puppy. If you have a copy of Debian 3.1 sitting around, get it out and see what can be done.

msumner

#6 Post by msumner »

Hi Guys, I am probably making a complete balls-up of this, but it is interesting experience for me. Probably should have started with something simpler :oops:

Anyway, when I copied /opt/kde, I got 416 errors but I decided to try running digikam from the terminal to see what happened. Firstly it could not find a lib (Cant remember its name now) so I found it and symlinked it to usr/lib. That worked so I looked for the next one it could not find which was libkipi.0. I had to go back into teenpup to find it but when I tried to copy it, it would not copy.

I know Nathan has had digikam on his todo list, but when I spotted it being used in Teenpup, I thought that maybe some duplicated effort could be saved. I think I have got out of my depth here, so I will wait for Nathan to check it out when he can fit it in. He will be able to make a proper package of it that others can use, whereas I think if I ever got it working, it would not be any use to anyone else! Anyway, thanks for your time, I would still be interested to see how it is done though.......
Cheers, Mike

john biles

#7 Post by john biles »

Hello msumner,
I think the problem with trying to copy TEENpup2.0.0's files is that there are alot of links to get it all working. (not the best way it all could have been done)
As I said before, if you started with Debian 3.1 and using I believe it's MU's undeb/unrpm app, you could go through and convert most of KDE's Packages from the debian CD/DVD which would not require as many links to get it all working. As all the files go into the main system and not opt/ (optional) folder as is the case with TEENpup2.0.0

I guess in the end you could use TEENpup when you need Digikam and Grafpup for other stuff?

Finally when I get around to it, I will look at better ways to get KDE Apps working in TEENpup3.0.0 which is still months away.

msumner

#8 Post by msumner »

john biles wrote: I guess in the end you could use TEENpup when you need Digikam and Grafpup for other stuff?
Hi John, I always have one or other version of puppy as a frugal install and I will be keeping Teenpup, as it has so much stuff in it that I can play with. I have been using PCLOS for digikam, and I will probably not bother with that now and use teenpup instead. For some reason though, I cant get digikam to work for my camera (Sony dsc w50) in Teenpup, I get the error message "Failed to connect to camera. Please make sure it is connected properly and turned on". I'm not sure how to get around this, as it works in PCLOS.
Cheers, Mike

john biles

#9 Post by john biles »

Hello msumner,
I used the latest driver's package and my father's canon camera now works with Digikam when it wouldn't mount using gtkam, mut or Pmount. The driver's package should be the same on as used in PCLOS? :(

msumner

#10 Post by msumner »

Hi John, it is rather strange, as when I scan for the camera, it picks it up as a "usb ptp class camera" and adds it to the list, same as in PCLOS. Not sure what to try now. :(
Mike

john biles

#11 Post by john biles »

Hello msumner,
The drivers for the cameras are in "/usr/lib/gphoto2" and even though the version number in TEENpup2.0.0 for the folder is 2.1.6 the contents of that folder was the latest driver version's as of May 2007. I did this so gtkam which was looking for the folder 2.1.6 would be fooled into using the later driver packages. I know when I checked grafpups version at the time, they were the same.

If it was me I would go into PCLOS and see what version PCLOS was using.
I would then convert that package from PCLOS over to Puppy with undeb/unrpm and copy those drivers into the folder "/usr/lib/gphoto2" and see what happens.

Or I guess you could go to the Slackware site and download that package from there and unzip it and copy the drivers into TEENpup that way.
As I said before experiment running live and see how you go. :D

msumner

#12 Post by msumner »

Well guys, I've been attempting to run digikam fron the konsole and have gradually been tracking down the missing libs and copying them from teenpup. It seems that the missing ones are those that were symlinked to another with a different name so I have done likewise if they were aleady in the filesystem somewhere, or copied and renamed them. This has worked so far until I came across libexif.so.10, which I could not find. I googled it and found a page, very confusing for me. "RPM resource libexif.so.10, Found 15 RPM for libexif.so.10. There is so much info I dont know what to download, so I think I will give up at this point :roll: as I am sure I am making hard work of it! I'll maybe wait for someone to do it properly, or have another go later. In the meantime, I will carry on with the one in PCLOS. Anyway, it has been an interesting experience, so thanks for the help guys.
Cheers, Mike

john biles

#13 Post by john biles »

Hello msumner,
Here's the file you need, just place it in /usr/lib and create a link in the same directory and rename it to libexif.so.10
One trick i do is drag libexif to another directory and link it to that directory and after the link is created I rename the link and then paste it back again in /usr/lib

Don't give up as your learning alot as you go.
Attachments
libexif.tar.gz
(41.91 KiB) Downloaded 692 times

msumner

#14 Post by msumner »

Thanks John, I've actually got digikam running now! :D I get a few error messages, but it is working.
I havnt figured how to get it to connect to the camera yet, but in the process of rebooting, I discovered that if I boot with the camera connected, I can mount it like a drive and download it that way.
Thanks for all your help.
Cheers, Mike

john biles

#15 Post by john biles »

Hello msumner,
Well Done! Feels Good doesn't it, when you see an App come to live that you got working.
Now the bug has bitten, I can see your version of Puppy running alot more Apps not normally seen in Puppy.

For the record undeb/unrpm seems to work with Debian, Ubuntu, Mandriva, Fedora but doesn't work with SuSe?

Once again Well Done!!

msumner

#16 Post by msumner »

Thanks John, yes, quite a feeling of satisfaction (and relief!). I see from DWW that you will be writing a how-to on using other distros packages, I look forward to it.
Cheers, Mike