EZpup-2.1.7 now available!

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
WhoDo

EZpup-2.1.7 now available!

#1 Post by WhoDo »

In honor of my upcoming 57th birthday (June 22), I've just uploaded EZpup-2.1.7 to our mirrors. I couldn't wait for Puppy 2.17 and judging by Barry's blog, I may need to update EZpup again sometime after that's released anyway.

PkaG has mirrored here:
http://www.pkagfiles.net/puppy-files/

and MU will advise the location on his mirror shortly.

EZpup-2.1.7 completely supercedes EZpup-1 and EZpup June Edition. Both may be removed and replaced by the latest version, which is still only 15Mb packed.

New features include X11 mouse cursor themes, new wallpapers, and some modified buttons for the Vista_Black_IV theme. I have also included the new Liberation Truetype fonts, a patched Freememapplet and updated the mime-types for Rox 2.6

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

friedsonjm

#2 Post by friedsonjm »

OK... I did it, love the look... but once again, my Open Office menu items have all disappeared! Do I need to reinstall OO again??? Some way to get them back on the menus?
thanks,
jf

friedsonjm

#3 Post by friedsonjm »

.... and a very small 'issue.' Is there some way to change the pawprint on the menu to 'something else'? Like 'start' or 'menus'? This is a machine that I will use in business travel, and I would like to show puppy off, but it needs to look 'serious.' I think the paw print is not 'in sync' with the rest of the looks of ezpup.. which I really like a lot!
jf

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: EZpup-2.1.7 now available!

#4 Post by Lobster »

WhoDo wrote:In honor of my upcoming 57th birthday (June 22)
An excellent policy (having birthdays and giving presents) :)

Downloading now. Gosh that really means my plans will be brought forward - OK will have to go into overdrive now :)

Thanks Warren :)
Happy Birthday (early)

here is something I found useful :)
problem: How do I use google mail from EZpup quicklaunch
solution: click on folder in taskbar(quicklaunch) and select "edit quicklaunch" change the email line as follows:
prog "Email" mail puppy-browser http://mail.google.com
Last edited by Lobster on Tue 19 Jun 2007, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#5 Post by Béèm »

WhoDo wrote: EZpup-2.1.7 completely supercedes EZpup-1 and EZpup June Edition. Both may be removed and replaced by the latest version, which is still only 15Mb packed.

Cheers
Is it maybe removed or must be removed?

WhoDo

#6 Post by WhoDo »

friedsonjm wrote:OK... I did it, love the look... but once again, my Open Office menu items have all disappeared! Do I need to reinstall OO again??? Some way to get them back on the menus?
Menu entries are controlled by .desktop files in /usr/share/applications directory. There are entries there for Open Office and its various programs, but they clearly don't point to the correct locations for your version of Open Office. At a console type

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# which swriter
and it should tell you the correct location for swriter. Then find the relevant .desktop file and edit the exec line to show the full location to your files. Repeat the process for scalc, sdraw, simpress, and sbase.

As these files are apparently not installed in a single, standard location, I will remove any Open Office .desktop files from future versions of EZpup to avoid this problem occurring again.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#7 Post by WhoDo »

friedsonjm wrote:.... and a very small 'issue.' Is there some way to change the pawprint on the menu to 'something else'? Like 'start' or 'menus'?
The default start button is located in /root/icewm/themes/VistaBlack_IV/taskbar, and can be changed for any one of the others in that same location simply by renaming the desired button as icewm.xpm

Then use menu>Window Manager>Restart Icewm to see the new button. Easy. You can even substitute one of the start buttons from any of the other installed themes using the same process.

Hope that helps.

WhoDo

#8 Post by WhoDo »

Béèm wrote:Is it maybe removed or must be removed?
It is "may be" not "must".

Cheers.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#9 Post by Béèm »

WhoDo wrote:
Béèm wrote:Is it maybe removed or must be removed?
It is "may be" not "must".

Cheers.
Thanks
I'll try it then.

Wolf Pup

#10 Post by Wolf Pup »

here's how to fix the openoffice icons in EZpup (Updated for EZpup2)

go to /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
Open as text
Enter the following as a new line, after the line <backdrop style =

<icon x="512" y="128" label="sbase">/opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/sbase</icon>
  <icon x="576" y="128" label="scalc">/opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/scalc</icon>
  <icon x="640" y="128" label="sdraw">/opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/sdraw</icon>
  <icon x="512" y="192" label="simpress">/opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/simpress</icon>
  <icon x="576" y="192" label="smath">/opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/smath</icon>
  <icon x="640" y="192" label="swriter">/opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/swriter</icon>
Save

Now to add the icon picture (updated to correct directory)

go to /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons
Open as text
Go to the last line in the file, ENTER a new line between </special-files> and </rule>
Enter the following in the new line

<rule match="/opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/simpress">
    <icon>/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/simpress48.png</icon>
  </rule>
  <rule match="/opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/smath">
    <icon>/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/smath48.png</icon>
  </rule>
  <rule match="/opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/sbase">
    <icon>/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/sbase48.png</icon>
  </rule>
  <rule match="/opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/scalc">
    <icon>/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/scalc48.png</icon>
  </rule>
  <rule match="/opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/sdraw">
    <icon>/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/sdraw48.png</icon>
  </rule>
  <rule match="/opt/openoffice.org2.2/program/swriter">
    <icon>/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/swriter48.png</icon>
  </rule>
Save

Restart X Server
Now the icons should appear :D
Last edited by Wolf Pup on Sat 04 Aug 2007, 04:05, edited 4 times in total.
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

WhoDo

#11 Post by WhoDo »

Wolf Pup wrote:here's how to fix the openoffice icons in EZpup
Thanks, Wolf Pup. As I suspected the problem arises because the 2.20 version installs Open Office in /opt directory. Previous versions were in /usr/local.

I'll look at the efficacy of including these mods in future versions of EZpup, too.

Cheers.

gdemonta

#12 Post by gdemonta »

WhoDo,
Your EZpup is awesome!! I was even thinking that now windows users would want to have the same icons!
Maybe it's now time to create puppy themes for windows, instead of making windows themes for puppy!!!!
Thanks a lot for your work!
Guillaume

I forgot to ask, do you know, by any chance, how to change the "quicklaunch" icons?
[color=blue]Dumbledore: "The evidence of the Dark Lord's return is incontrovertible"[/color]
IBM X31 - Puppy 2.16 Hard disk install with EZpup

WhoDo

#13 Post by WhoDo »

gdemonta wrote:I forgot to ask, do you know, by any chance, how to change the "quicklaunch" icons?
Anticipating your every need ( :P ) I have created an EZpup Help page on the wiki. Your answer is in there, under adding shortcut icons to the taskbar which is done using the same file. 8)

gdemonta

#14 Post by gdemonta »

Thanks a lot WhoDo!
I'm gonna try this as soon as possible! By the way, I can see we are using the same aeofox theme!
Another question: do you think by reducing the taskbar height of one pixel will solve the little irregularity we can see around the quicklaunch icons or is ot far more complicated to solve?
Thanks
[color=blue]Dumbledore: "The evidence of the Dark Lord's return is incontrovertible"[/color]

klu9

Puppy with ezPup vs Hacao

#15 Post by klu9 »

thanks WhoDo for answering my puppy/hacao questions over on Distrowatch, and Happy Birthday!

but I have a couple more questions :oops: :D

does ezPup set up Wine/WineXS, CUPS, Skype, Yahoo! Messenger, Java installer and the other extras found in Hacao? The look is very nice but those are the things about Hacao that really grabbed my interest. (The ezpup help page seems to list only GUI modifications.)

if not, does anyone know if is there another "metapackage" or puplet to take care of all that? (I see one called 2.16 NOP, with IceWM, OOo, CUPS & XSane; but not the other features)

thanks in advance

WhoDo

#16 Post by WhoDo »

gdemonta wrote:Another question: do you think by reducing the taskbar height of one pixel will solve the little irregularity we can see around the quicklaunch icons or is ot far more complicated to solve?
Not sure what you mean by "irregularity". Can you post a closeup image of the problem here so I can see what you mean by that? Thanks.

WhoDo

Re: Puppy with ezPup vs Hacao

#17 Post by WhoDo »

klu9 wrote:does ezPup set up Wine/WineXS, CUPS, Skype, Yahoo! Messenger, Java installer and the other extras found in Hacao?
No. EZpup is about GUI modifications and usability features like PSI.
klu9 wrote:if not, does anyone know if is there another "metapackage" or puplet to take care of all that? (I see one called 2.16 NOP, with IceWM, OOo, CUPS & XSane; but not the other features)
There is no such metapackage that I'm aware of BUT if NOP is closest to what you want, then my suggestion would be to install EZpup on that, or Puppy's Software Installer (PSI), and then all of the missing packages are only 2 clicks away. Check out the link to see how comprehensive it is.

jamesbond

#18 Post by jamesbond »

Happy belated birthday, Warren :D
Didn't see this thread until it's too late to say so !

/james
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

gdemonta

#19 Post by gdemonta »

WhoDo wrote:
gdemonta wrote:Another question: do you think by reducing the taskbar height of one pixel will solve the little irregularity we can see around the quicklaunch icons or is ot far more complicated to solve?
Not sure what you mean by "irregularity". Can you post a closeup image of the problem here so I can see what you mean by that? Thanks.
Whodo,
On this picture you can see that on each side of the quicklaunch icons, the taskbar isn't completely straight: the image under each icons is not entirely in line with the rest of the taskbar.
In order to solve it, I tried to increase the height of the taskbar, it kind of worked, but a white line appeared at the bottom of the taskbar, which wasn't very nice so I reverted back to the default.
There is also similar problems with some tray icons, except the CPU load.
Do you think it could be easily solved? is it possible to edit some xpm or png picture anywhere?

P.S. By the way, happy birthday!!
Attachments
WMEShot057.gif
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 1094 times

WhoDo

#20 Post by WhoDo »

jamesbond wrote:Happy belated birthday, Warren :D
Didn't see this thread until it's too late to say so !
Thanks, James. Much appreciated.
gdemonta wrote:Do you think it could be easily solved? is it possible to edit some xpm or png picture anywhere?

P.S. By the way, happy birthday!!
It would probably be possible to fix by rejigging the taskbar background and button background files in /root/.icewm/themes/VistaBlack_IV/taskbar directory. Make a copy first if you are going to play around with it.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, too.