Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 05:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Index of resources for Beginners Help forum
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [47 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun 2005, 11:55    Post subject:  Index of resources for Beginners Help forum  

This is an experiment. It is intended to make using the forum -- and Puppy -- more practical. Other moderators are invited to jump in where they see I've missed something. If anyone else sees something they think belongs here, please PM me (with a link to the item. Smile )

First:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Puppy Intro:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Booting (running) from CD:

Installing on and booting from HD:

Installing on and booting from USB:

Multisession Puppy

Unusual ways to run Puppy

Upgrading (transferring bookmarks, address books, settings etc.):

Building your own custom Puppy (Puppy a la carte):

Configuring your Puppy

Installing Additional Software and Applications:

Specialized Puppies

Backup and Restore

Email

Hardware issues:

Mounting and unmounting:

Multimedia

Networking

Programming

Remote Computing

Screensavers

Server Puppy

Sound

Tips and tricks

Video

Wireless

Last edited by Flash on Sat 05 Jul 2014, 19:04; edited 224 times in total
mr_shafer

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2005, 20:16    Post subject: Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Beginners Hel  

Clicking the title "Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index" at the top of this page is the HOME button !

Clicking sub-titles (after each ->) is the GOTO button.

( No thats not a dumb question, sometimes the obvious, is not obvious.) Wink
raffy

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep 2005, 21:00    Post subject: John can do  

It's something John M can do, changing that phrase to [Home], so it will be seen as "[Home] Forum Index".
GeoffS

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar 2006, 05:34    Post subject: Thanks - but why so hard to find?  

Just a small query - why did it take me so long to find this thread?
Maybe a moderator(s) could add some BIG pointers to it. I've been playing with puppy for about 2 weeks (and love it), spent hours searching this forum and have not found this resource until now.
While I'm thinking of 'searching' maybe somebody could make representations to the makers of this system - the search facility is terrible - would have to be the worst I've ever encountered. I might post this comment somewhere more obvious.
Cheers
raffy

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar 2006, 08:14    Post subject: Hello  

Hi, and welcome aboard! This forum software is free but is kept uptodate. Perhaps it's just your first time to use it Smile Would love to see your suggestions in the "Suggestions" section.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar 2006, 11:52    Post subject:  

What else can I do? The forum software limits me to making the index into a sticky post, and I can't change human nature, which seems not to want to begin at the beginning. Confused

Raffy, I'm afraid I haven't kept the index up to date, but now that John has put a stop to spam things might settle back down and I can get back to it. I've invited other moderators to contribute to it but as far as I know none have.
GeoffS

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar 2006, 18:28    Post subject:  

Thanks for the replies Raffy & Flash. Maybe that was part of the problem, I never really found the 'beginning'. I'm not complaining, the site is an enormous resource and obviously has cost some people (and probably not enough people) a lot of time but I have floundered around in it more than I should have. Maybe I'm getting old and it is certainly not helped by my lack of Linux (or Unix) knowledge.
My aim is to eventually move entirely to Linux - I also have Knoppix and Debian but Puppy seems a great and gentle starting point. I have many packages (including some I've written) that I hope will run under Wine and/or can be ported to Linux - if I live long enough!
Thanks again for the replies.
oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) Acer Laptop emachines 2 GB RAM AMD64. franco-/germanophone, +/- anglophone

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr 2006, 18:40    Post subject: use the Wiki please  

erased 20110303 as with really to old content. please be comprehensive

I propose you my more actual page for newbies but mainly on French:

oui

Last edited by oui on Thu 03 Mar 2011, 19:36; edited 2 times in total
kozaki

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep 2006, 08:42    Post subject:  

Hi all Puppians Smile

I found that "HardDiskInstall (PuppyLinux Wiki page.) Good partitioning instructions." links to a dead page.
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/ says :
> URL changed!
>
> Please relink to:
>
> http://www.puppyos.com/

Otherwise I appreciated 5 other (worink) links from "Installing on and booting from HD"

Flash, I really think of your sticky post as a masterpiece about Puppy Very Happy
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep 2006, 11:03    Post subject:  

Well thanks kozaki. I'm afraid I haven't maintained the index very well. It's nice to know that someone still finds it useful.

When you give a good URL for one that is dead, to eliminate confusion, give the full URL to the page and not just the URL to the homepage of the website. Smile
Getnikar

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct 2006, 09:31    Post subject: Is info up to date, or at least names the relevant release?  

Flash wrote:
Well thanks kozaki. I'm afraid I haven't maintained the index very well. It's nice to know that someone still finds it useful...

Hi Flash.
I have just spent many solid days around all the Puppy websites and forums, hunting all sorts of info. Unfortunately a huge amount of time has been wasted reading all sorts of outdated info. Its really annoying, and in these travels I have seen a couple of other complaints that echo this sentiment too.

So this is just a general observation, and appeal to everyone who puts info up anywhere: PLEASE write a clear concise subject title or short intro at the start to make is clear what release you are talking about.

The problem is right through the open source world. Its a major pain to a lot of people who might contemplate leaving the Windows world, but find the rubbish in wiki, and forum sticky etc material frustrates them and sends them right back to Windows.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct 2006, 10:23    Post subject:  

The problem is not limited to Linux, or Puppy. Hardly a webpage on the internet has a date anywhere in it. At least the forum posts are dated.
Getnikar

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct 2006, 10:44    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
The problem is not limited to Linux, or Puppy.

Agreed, but it is more a 'feature' of open source projects than commercial ones unfortunately.
Flash wrote:
Hardly a webpage on the internet has a date anywhere in it. At least the forum posts are dated.

Generally the websites for commercial/proprietry software are better organised with old stuff more clearly separated from current stuff. Dates are of little use in many cases for a noob. She might read up on a concept dated say 6 months ago. She might realise that was before the current version came out. But does that mean the concept is out of date? .. a bit, a lot, completely? I have found myself in this situation many times lately, so I know how wasteful in time it is sorting it all out. Right now Puppy is in this situation, because there is a lot of Puppy 1 stuff around that is irrelevant to Puppy 2, but its not immediately apparent in the articles.

The Puppy websites need a BIG cleanout, and tidy up. IMO.
veronicathecow

PostPosted: Fri 24 Nov 2006, 15:43    Post subject: The useful page I have been looking for.  

I only wish I had come across this post ages ago, it is so useful.
Many thanks
Tony
jamesjeffries1

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr 2007, 21:27    Post subject:  

for more beginners linux help goto http://linuxmigration.tk
Page 1 of 4 [47 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: