Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Aug 2014, 14:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
CK kernel patch will make Puppy faster!
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
Gekko

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun 2007, 07:53    Post subject:  CK kernel patch will make Puppy faster!  

http://kerneltrap.org/node/8147
Quote:
Con Kolivas [interview] continues to maintain the performance oriented -ck patchset that he started in early 2004 [story], "this patchset is designed to improve system responsiveness and interactivity. It is configurable to any workload but the default -ck patch is aimed at the desktop and -cks is available with more emphasis on serverspace." In Con's latest release, 2.6.21-ck1, he notes that he has updated the patchset to include his improved SD cpu scheduler [story], "the staircase-deadline cpu scheduler has replaced the old staircase design in this version."

Con goes on to explain, "the staircase-deadline cpu scheduler can be set in either purely forward-looking mode for absolutely rigid fairness and cpu distribution according to nice level, or it can allow a small per-process history to smooth out cpu usage perturbations common in interactive tasks by enabling this sysctl. While small fairness issues can arise with this enabled, overall fairness is usually still strongly maintained and starvation is never possible. Enabling this can significantly smooth out 3d graphics and games." Swap prefetch [story] is also among the patches included in the -ck patchset.

Just look at the comparisons with the vanilla kernel: http://ck.wikia.com/wiki/2.6.20-CK1_Comparisons This will give a guaranteed speed boost and help older pcs play videos as they have always wanted Razz

Only one hitch: kernel 2.6.21 is the last kernel that will be supported by this patch.
cb88

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun 2007, 11:05    Post subject:  

Yes! Better video on my laptop now thats what i'm talkin' about!
Very Happy
my laptop need better handling of resources esp w/ low ram (64mb) and relativly slow processor. if the patch really works then great!
would this help prevent "locking up" of my laptop in a very win95 like manner?

cb88
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun 2007, 13:17    Post subject:  

I once tried the 3D Control Center, 3DCC, and had a noticable increase in speed in the video tests.

I didn't however tried it with games.

See dotpups.de

Use peppyy's puppysearch
cb88

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun 2007, 17:06    Post subject:  

Did I mention that I have a neomagic 257 AV chip that provide 2d only accel with 2 mb shared ram(i think). So even with accel active (as I think it is by default with Xorg) video is choppy possibly due to bad resource managment. I do not think that the drivers for neomagic can be configured with 3DCC wish they could be though. Since I have an old laptop an speed increase is extremely welcome.
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun 2007, 17:52    Post subject:  

Sorry to hear about your config. (2D)
Hopefully Barry includes acceleration patch.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: