ChurchPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
richard.a

#61 Post by richard.a »

Joey I tend to agree with you.

I remember seeing a short film using the soundtrack of "How Great Thou Art" performed by many voices and a large orchestra - indeed I may have it on video somewhere so perhaps digitising would be good :)

A Scandinavian folk-song melody, words written in Swedish by Carl Boberg as "O Store Gud" and translated into English by Stuart Hine - who should not have the authorship credit (but usually does).

While it is too easy to slide into pan-theism by looking at His handiwork, it is awesome (in the true meaning of the word). While there are many mind-blowing scenes of some of the Creator's creations, let us focus on the Creator, though :)

Richard
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

KF6SNJ

Project Status

#62 Post by KF6SNJ »

First, let me please introduce myself. My name is Christopher Rose. I am a student at Covenant Bible Seminary in Lakewood WA. I am quite curious as to what direction this project will go. I have tried out Christian Ubuntu and Ichthux, and had problems with both. I used PCLinuxOS for a period of time, but I have had problems with the repository sites. Hence, I decided to return to using puppy linux. I am presently using DigiPup. I think I'd like to this version once it is ready for beta test. Please let me know what I can do to help.

My e-mail is kf6snj at lycos.com

michaewlewis

#63 Post by michaewlewis »

My point exactly. And besides, if someone wanted a cross or communion background, all they would have to do is do one search, pick the first result and download the graphic and they would probably be content with it.

Is there already a lot of people working on graphics for churchpup? I don't want to do anything if there's already an abundance of artwork. Is a website in the making? Do we need any more programs? How can I help?

michaewlewis

#64 Post by michaewlewis »

Oh, I I think we need to include the NIV and NAS in whatever Bible program we use. I don't know what conclusion you came up with yet about it. I just noticed a few posts saying KJV is the only way to go. I disagree, but don't want to get into an argument because that's not the purpose of this forum. I just want to make sure any Christian can use this os and not be forced to use a version they don't like or are not familiar with.

LOF

#65 Post by LOF »

Right. Here we go. Bare with me.

First off, thanks again for all the support and interest. I really like the kiosk idea, might suggest that at my church.

As to graphic makers, I'll be honest, graphics are coming in thick and fast and really since I have little-to-no programming experience it is this area that the project is currently lacking. Simplicity would be much appreciated here. Pet packages of everything needing to be added would be great and a few more ideas generally on programs would be much appreciated.

The main problems so far:
Presentation software, still no ideas
Music notation software, some ideas, not sure where to go
Parental controls, we haven't even discussed yet
Bible verse feature, still possibly fortune or next best thing?

Things we do know:
Kino video editor
Gnucash
Bible desktop (just as soon as I get it working, thanks for the pets PrairieDog)
Firefox, maybe use the themes in Christian Ubuntu?
Lots of beautiful wallpapers

Thanks again to everyone, just bare with me.
Cheers,

[b]LOF[/b]
:D

michaewlewis

#66 Post by michaewlewis »

Why couldn't we just use openoffice for the powerpoint?

now by the bible verse feature, do you mean like a verse of the day? couldn't we just use something like the tip of the day that you see in just about every program? and then make it some sort of scheduled task to pop it up.

will gimp be on it?

I'll be on the lookout for music notation software, presentation, and parental controls/internet filtering. (I think I saw some on a bsd)
How about Audacity for a music editor.

jcagle

#67 Post by jcagle »

michaewlewis wrote:Why couldn't we just use openoffice for the powerpoint?

now by the bible verse feature, do you mean like a verse of the day? couldn't we just use something like the tip of the day that you see in just about every program? and then make it some sort of scheduled task to pop it up.

will gimp be on it?

I'll be on the lookout for music notation software, presentation, and parental controls/internet filtering. (I think I saw some on a bsd)
How about Audacity for a music editor.
Rosegarden will do music notation. The current version, however, is pretty big. Perhaps an older version of Rosegarden may do the trick, but it may look pretty ugly.

Audacity doesn't do music notation (You may know this already, but perhaps for someone who doesn't, this is good to know). It's a wave editor/recorder.

michaewlewis

#68 Post by michaewlewis »

Ya, I knew audacity doesn't do notation. I may in the future, I bet. It's still growing.
hmm... I wonder if finale notepad will run under wine. It's got a fairly small binary, I think.
http://linux-sound.org/notation.html - list of music notation software. I'll take a further look at it soon.

LOF

#69 Post by LOF »

Yep sorry I missed Audacity and Gimp on the list. Audacity is great for recording your sermon for podcasting purposes.

As to Impress in OOo that will have to be it unless there is anything better that anyone knows of.
Cheers,

[b]LOF[/b]

richard.a

#70 Post by richard.a »

I've created OHT slides for worship songs in both OOo and MS Office - and then projected them from the opposite product and never had a glitch.

It would be good to create templates for such, to be easily customised. I even have a large stock of such slides that I and others have created, which could be bundled if the template included a place to insert the CCLI licence number.

Talking of which, there is no need for that if the church has existing purchased acetate type overheads as the copyright has already been granted on them in the original purchase price.

We need remember that everything about licencing (whether we agree with it or not) has to be covered legally in a package for churches.

The document Penguin in the pew is a must to read for everyone involved here. Churches have to be seen as being honest and law-abiding.

Yes I use Audacity a lot, and consider it a fine and evolving application. I'm sure other things will be added, in due course, such as midi to wave conversion, for those who like to maintain CDs of accompaniment to practice instruments or voices against. I've been involved with running a small choir which another singer and I have taught reasonably successfully how to harmonise by ear without being able to read music.
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

jcagle

#71 Post by jcagle »

michaewlewis wrote:Ya, I knew audacity doesn't do notation. I may in the future, I bet. It's still growing.
hmm... I wonder if finale notepad will run under wine. It's got a fairly small binary, I think.
http://linux-sound.org/notation.html - list of music notation software. I'll take a further look at it soon.
I seriously doubt Audacity will ever do notation. It's purpose is as a wave editor, and not a notation editor or MIDI sequencer. Different types of programs completely.

thegoldenstrand

How about ChurchPup as add on Package to regular Puppy?

#72 Post by thegoldenstrand »

Hi,

Just wanted to encourage you in your efforts.

While trying to make the time to learn linux, I just keep falling forward in learning more of what puppy has to offer.

I think if you went to your favorite internet sites for Christians and made sure whatever was needed to browse these sites and watch and listen was included... this sure would be a help to me that when I just went to ttb.org rather than some usually visited worldly site in my effort to replace bad habits with good, had this barrier to watch or listen for me anyway in that it said you needed realplayer or windows media player or.. damn.. i just wanted to listen.. so any listening helps would help this wretch of an old dawg. Lots of barriers to getting to the truth.. see if you can remove some of them and I am with you.

Mike

michaewlewis

#73 Post by michaewlewis »

I know I said I wasn't for the graphics being crosses and other cliche religious items, but I had an extra couple minutes at work and here's what I made in gimp. More to come later
Attachments
CPL01.jpg
(18 KiB) Downloaded 541 times

MU

#74 Post by MU »

;-)
Attachments
puppy-holy.png
(3.71 KiB) Downloaded 587 times

jcagle

#75 Post by jcagle »

michaewlewis wrote:I know I said I wasn't for the graphics being crosses and other cliche religious items, but I had an extra couple minutes at work and here's what I made in gimp. More to come later
Though the cross is a bit cliche when it comes to Christian graphics, I have to say this looks like a really good background. I guess it's just done in a way that I don't see done too often, so that helps.

dmsmith

BibleDesktop v1.0.7 just released

#76 Post by dmsmith »

BibleDesktop v1.0.7 was released June 24. See the content at http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/change.html

I have updated the "Portable BibleDesktop" to include it. http://www.crosswire.org/~dmsmith/bd

Comment on the post that said that we should include NIV and NAS. The publishers have not made these available for free. The NIV is not available at all for any open source software.

The NASB will be released before too long as a Sword module (i.e. BibleDesktop will be able to use it) but it will be for sale by the publisher. The NASB will be keyed to Strong's Numbers and there will also be a NASB Greek and Hebrew Dictionary. I don't know if it will be a separate purchase.

In the meantime the NET Bible is the best substitute for the NIV (both are Dynamic Equivalence translations) and ESV is the best substitute for NASB (both are Essentially Literal translations).

Not to get into the KJV debate, but the KJV along with Strong's Greek and Hebrew Dictionaries, and Robinson's Morphological Analysis Codes dictionary are excellent study tools. This is because the KJV is coded with Strong's numbers.

LOF

#77 Post by LOF »

Thanks for the update dmsmith!

Sorry that I haven't been too active on this, (PC trouble coupled with redecorating means there is little free time). Stuff to come soon hopefully.

Thanks again y'all.
Cheers,

[b]LOF[/b]

cb88

#78 Post by cb88 »

double post sorry :oops:
Last edited by cb88 on Tue 03 Jul 2007, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

cb88

#79 Post by cb88 »

why all the hard work to include a "closed source" translation that disagrees w/ 99% of the original text in existence ? that is my only question why? I'll just make a post in off-topic so this thread does not get side tracked again.

richard.a

#80 Post by richard.a »

Folks, brethren, friends,

I'm a bit puzzled about why there needs to be any specific backgrounds and other graphics created for this project.

Please bear with me, I'm not being dumb.

But when you are using a computer to actually DO something, do you actually ever see the desktop except when you first turn it on?

Who is this project targeting?

Pastors writing sermons? and bulletins. and Order of Service, etc?

Deacons keeping up with whatever the building inventory comprises?

Finance people keeping track of offerings and electricity accounts?

The stage/floor manager (or whatever its equivalent is) ensuring that the overheads for the next worship service have been created, and then assembling a .ppt of the right ones?

I would suggest they are all very busy people who have real lives, and only use a computer as a needed tool.

I'm just trying to be practical, folks, please don't take this post the wrong way.

In Christ,

Richard.

PS Although I live in Australia, I have absolutely nothing to do with Hillsong. Nor its denomination's local 3000 seat auditorium. You would be surprised how many people on IRC ask me, so I thought I would get in first :D