How to boot a balky multisession CD/DVD

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
azlanar

How to boot a balky multisession CD/DVD

#1 Post by azlanar »

Well, i just explore this puppy few (3) days ago.

CD 1
~~~
I burned the latest iso using fc7 into cd, boot the cd... pheww... it works fine. I keep asking uncle google about this puppy, more knowledge i gained.

Then i saw one article about multisession live cd/dvd. so i tried to save my latest config into the cd. It cant save. ugh. I found, it cant save coz i burned the cd using fc7.

CD 2
~~~
So i boot again into puppy. fdisk -l to find my hdd partition, mount it to /mnt/data. Then i click menu->setup->puppy universal installer to burn the iso in my /mnt/data into the new cd. I choose multisession.

Then I boot using the new cd, play around with puppy & save my latest config into the cd. Wow! it can save my files and my config?

Again i boot using that new cd.... damn!!! that cd are no longer bootable. arghh.... i dont believe it!... i try again and again and again... it still remain the same. i boot 5 times! yes i counted it.

CD 1 (not multisession) and CD2 (multisession)
~~~~~~~~~
So i use my first cd to boot. Before 5 secs, i press the arrow button. Then i eject the CD manually, and i insert my multisession CD. Wow it boot like first cd.

And all of my latest config is there.

CONCLUSION
~~~~~~~~
always bring 2 CDs, i.e bootable cd & multisession CD.

comments?

rgds.
-- azlanar

mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

#2 Post by mbutts »

Hi and welcome to Puppy!
While I have never tried what you did with your 2 cd's it makes perfect sence. Sounds like a good tip to me! Not all cd drives will boot a multisession cd. I've tried several things myself to see if I could get it to work on my laptop. It seems to me that most cdrw dvd rom laptop drives do not like multisession. However on desktops I have had real good results so far with several brands of cdrw dvdrw drives.
One thing that I do is always carry a multisession cd with me so if I have a chance to promote Puppy on someone's computer I can pop in a multisession cd in right off the bat to see if it will work or not. If not I don't promote the multisession feature of Puppy.
Penguin, the OTHER white meat.
[url=http://www.puppyos.com][img]http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5563/yxudnslbsx1jpglx3.png[/img][/url][img]http://i18.tinypic.com/2wd7o80.gif[/img]

azlanar

#3 Post by azlanar »

mbutts wrote:Hi and welcome to Puppy!
While I have never tried what you did with your 2 cd's it makes perfect sence. Sounds like a good tip to me! Not all cd drives will boot a multisession cd. I've tried several things myself to see if I could get it to work on my laptop. It seems to me that most cdrw dvd rom laptop drives do not like multisession. However on desktops I have had real good results so far with several brands of cdrw dvdrw drives.
One thing that I do is always carry a multisession cd with me so if I have a chance to promote Puppy on someone's computer I can pop in a multisession cd in right off the bat to see if it will work or not. If not I don't promote the multisession feature of Puppy.
DVD multisession much better, as DVD can stored up to 4.7 GB.

Im using notebook NEC E6200, core2duo T5500, 2gb RAM, with DVD writer (so the DVD multisession is suitable for me).

So for those who wants to implement DVD multisession just do the following:
1. Burned the puppy iso into CD not multisession (recommended, as maybe someday you might save your latest config into this CD... hehe)
2. Burned the puppy iso into DVD, and dont forget to choose multisession.
3. Boot the CD not multisession, before 5 secs, press arrow button, eject the CD.
4. Insert the DVD multisession which was done in 2nd step above.
5. Press enter and boot.
6. Play around with puppy, and power-off. The puppy will ask you whether you want to save your latest configuration (as well as your files). Save it into the DVD multisession.... DOne.

So everytime you want to boot into puppy, just follow step 3 to 6.

rgds.
-- azlanar

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

azlanar wrote:...So for those who wants to implement DVD multisession just do the following:
  • 1. Burned the puppy iso into CD not multisession (recommended, as maybe someday you might save your latest config into this CD... hehe)
    3. Boot the CD not multisession, before 5 secs, press arrow button, eject the CD.
    5. Press enter and boot.
    6. Play around with puppy, and power-off. The puppy will ask you whether you want to save your latest configuration (as well as your files). Save it into the DVD multisession.... DOne.

rgds.
-- azlanar
Hi Azlanar,

This might be very useful for laptop users, who otherwise are left out when it comes to multisession. :)
A few items need clarifying though. In step number 3, does "before 5 secs," mean at the prompt with all the red text where you can enter 'puppy pfix' boot codes? (Such as "puppy pfix=ram") And what "arrow" button do you push? Is it one of the buttons on the keyboard? Up, down, left or right?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

azlanar

#5 Post by azlanar »

Flash wrote:
azlanar wrote:...So for those who wants to implement DVD multisession just do the following:
  • 1. Burned the puppy iso into CD not multisession (recommended, as maybe someday you might save your latest config into this CD... hehe)
    5. Press enter and boot.

rgds.
-- azlanar
Hi Azlanar,

This might be very useful for laptop users, who otherwise are left out when it comes to multisession. :)
A few items need clarifying though. In step number 3, does "before 5 secs," mean at the prompt with all the red text where you can enter 'puppy pfix' boot codes? (Such as "puppy pfix=ram") And what "arrow" button do you push? Is it one of the buttons on the keyboard? Up, down, left or right?
yeah, u are right.

If u dont press the arrow button, the puppy will use your 1st CD to boot. You can press whatever arrow button on your keyboard (and you can press whatever button - i think so) . Anyway the purpose of pressing keyboard button is to avoid the puppy to boot the 1st CD....

So when the "boot: " appear, press the arrow button ASAP. THen eject your 1st CD, and insert your DVD multisession, then press enter.

rgds,
-- azlanar

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Well I don't have a DVD that won't boot, so I can't confirm this works. To my surprise, the "up" arrow key stopped the boot process at the boot prompt and the DVD ejected when I pushed the eject button on the drive. I pushed it back in and resumed booting with the "enter" key. 8)