Printing with CUPS: Almost here ! (Finally HERE!)

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
rarsa

Printing with CUPS: Almost here ! (Finally HERE!)

#1 Post by rarsa »

*****Update Sept 12, 2005 *****
After a long thread, we can finally claim success with CUPS.
The DotPup is on its way.
If you cannot wait for the DotPup, Just follow the simple instructions located later under this posts.
Here---> http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... e3c4#12248

Hi!

I am almost there readying CUPS for puppy.

Right now the only thing I cannot do is printing from puppy applications to the printer connected to the puppy computer.

I get the purple lprshell screen and nothing happens.

How can I avoid the lprshell interception?

After installing CUPS, the /usr/bin/lp, lpr, etc poing to the corresponding cups files.

This is the current status:

- I've installed CUPS 1.1.23 under puppy 1.0.5 alpha
- I've configured cupsd.conf in a way that puppy likes it.
- I've assigned the appropriate access rights
- I've installed cups drivers for my printer.
- I've installed ESP Gohstscript 7.07.1 as my printer requires it.
- I can add, remove and otherwise manage printers using the CUPS web interface.
- I can print the CUPS test page on a printer connected to the puppy computer.
- I can print from any application on my Fedora computer to the printer connected to the puppy computer.

I feel I'm really close. Hopefully my question has a simple answer.

In the meantime. I'll keep investigating.
Last edited by rarsa on Sat 15 Oct 2005, 15:26, edited 3 times in total.

rarsa

Done!

#2 Post by rarsa »

Done! I am able to print from puppy using CUPS!

After playing around I found that it had nothing to do with the lprshell.

Now I just have to figure out what I did.

After I retrace my steps I will try to do a clean install in puppy 1.0.4 in a pristine pup001 file.

I'll keep you posted.

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

SUCCESS!!

I've retraced my steps and I am able to do a successfull installation on pupy 1.0.4 with a pristine pup001. !!

I only stress the 'pristine' part because I want to make sure I don't miss anything.

I can:
- Print from a puppy computer to a local printer
- Print from a fedora computer to a puppy printer
- Print from Puppy to a fedora computer printer

It does not need samba or anything like that, just CUPS
Of course I have only tested with my printer so still a lot of testing needs to be done with other drivers

...Only after all this work I am questioning: Is there real interest in CUPS for puppy?
Last edited by rarsa on Sat 03 Sep 2005, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

dewdrop

CUPS: Almost here !

#4 Post by dewdrop »

..Only after all this work I am questioning: Is there real interest in CUPS for puppy?
Rarsa,

I have Chubby Puppy installed...I just took OpenOffice off and installed Abiword and Gnumeric. The installation is to a 512MB Cruzer Memory Stick.

I have a HP Deskjet 3320, and an HP Deskjet 6540 ready for testing whenever I have the CUPS you have just completed on my installation. How do you get it to me?

Dewdrop

dvw86

#5 Post by dvw86 »

rarsa wrote:SUCCESS!!
...Only after all this work I am questioning: Is there real interest in CUPS for puppy?
I would use it for sure.

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

I need to prepare a DotPup installer.

I am writing down the step by step instructions. Those will be the same steps as the DotPup will have to perform.

The fastest way for you to start printing is to test the step by step instructions that way you will help me check if I am missing something.

It's well known on the development world that Developers aren't good testers, sometimes we do some steps unconciously. It is always better to have a third party tester.

The next post will have the step by step instructions.

dewdrop

CUPS

#7 Post by dewdrop »

The fastest way for you to start printing is to test the step by step instructions that way you will help me check if I am missing something.
Rarsa,

Thanks for the effort..it will sure make my life easier....new to Puppy, Linux, etc.....:)....hope I can be of help ... I'm sure I'll learn something with the step by steps. I'll tackle it in the morning.

Dewdrop

rarsa

DONE!

#8 Post by rarsa »

Well,

Finally here it is. I found that it would take me the same time to write the instructions as to write the scritp. I'd recommend you to read the script to understand what I'm doing and maybe find a better way of doing it.

I still need to package all of this in a DotPup.

Notes:
- I will put new versions of the installer in this post. If you have tried a previous version check the change log before trying again.
- I tested this script booting from a chubby puppy 1.0.4 live CD.
- Currently the each of the install scripts download the required files from a slackware mirror. I'm thinking that's the best option for now.
- The configuration files are already configured to work with puppy.
- The script modifies rc.local to start cups at boot time.
- You need about 25 MB of free space to install all the components
- This instructions include the hpijs printer driver as an example. Before proceeding make sure that you have available CUPS printer drivers for your particular printer. You can google to find out.
For a list of printers supported by hpij go to this page http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_drive ... iver=hpijs

The scripts downloads the required packages to /root/tmp
It extracts them to /tmp . This means the following:
- Installation is faster as /tmp is in RAMDISK
- You need enough ram or enough swap space (about 30 MB)
- All temporary files will be lost when you reboot.

Disclaimer
This script is working for me using a pristine pup001 file.
I highly recommend testing with a pristine pup001 file. Don't test in your regular pup001. I am not responsible if you corrupt your pup001 file. An alternative is to backup your pup001 file to test on an already configured and non pristine pup001.

Instructions:
1. Download the cups-install.tar.gz file
2. Open a console terminal and change folders to the folder where you downloaded the file.
3. Untar the cups-install.tar.gz with "tar -xvzf cups-install.tar.gz". This tar file includes the scripts to install cups. ESP Ghostscript and the hpijs driver.
4. From the console execute "sh cups-install.sh"
5. If you are printing to a remote CUPS server go to step 9, otherwise continue with step 6.
6. If your print drivers require ESP Ghost script, execute ""sh espgs-install.sh". (the hpijs driver needs it).
7. Install the CUPS drivers for the printers connected to your puppy computer according to your driver's instructions. Check in http://www.linuxprinting.org to find out the drivers required by your printer. These instructions include the hpijs, if your printer is suported just execute "sh hpijs-install.sh".
8. If your driver requires foomatic, you also need to install Perl. Don't use the Perl PupGet as it is a stripped down version. If you are using puppy 1.0.5 or newer download the usr_devx.sfs file. If you are using a puppy version prior to 1.0.5 downlad the attached perl installer, untar it and instal with "sh perl-5.8.6-install.sh"
9. Restart cups with "sh /etc/rc.d/rc.cups restart"
10. Open your browser and go to the following address http://localhost:631
11. Add your printer following the links on that page. If you already have a CUPS server that allow browsing you will see the shared printers there.
12. Print the test page

It's THAT easy. I took dewdrop and my self about 80 hours to get to this point but we are finally here!

The main problems I encountered were the following:
- Understanding what I was doing as I did not have previous CUPS experience.
- Find a version that ran OK under puppy. (this took almost 15 hours)
- Finding the correct access rights combination for the config files.
- Understanding that I needed ESP Ghostscript.
- Learning that the Perl PupGet did not include all the components required by foomatic.

========== Change log ==========
Oct 6, 2005 11:51 pm EST
- Added comment to use usr_devx.sfs in puppy 1.0.5 to access perl.
Sept 12, 2005 11:22 pm EST
- Added Full Perl Installation. Final instructions.
Sept 8, 2005 11:22 pm EST
- Inserted new step to install Perl when the driver requires foomatic.
Sept 4, 2005 8:31 pm EST
- Cleaned up the configuration file cupsd.conf
Sept 3, 2005 2:37 pm EST
- Added the hpijs printer driver which supports hundreds of printers from many brands.
- Created separate scripts for CUPS, ESP Ghostscript and the hpijs driver.
- Packaged all the scripts and configuration files in one download.
- Changed the protocol for the wget from HTTP to FTP. Now the download is faster.
- The scripts now download the packages to /root/tmp so you don't have to redownload them every time.
- The script will continue with a failed download when you re-run it.

Sept 3 ,2005 2:19 am EST
- First post
Attachments
perl-5.8.6-install.tar.gz
After downloading untar with "tar -xvzf perl-5.8.6-install.tar.gz", and run the installation script with "sh perl-5.8.6-install.sh"
(304 Bytes) Downloaded 1856 times
cups-install.tar.gz
After downloading this file, untar it using "tar -xvzf cups-install.tar.gz"
(5.82 KiB) Downloaded 2414 times
Last edited by rarsa on Mon 12 Dec 2005, 01:11, edited 17 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

8)

Good job - if you intend to test, do follow the instructions and feedback as this will be welcome for the dotpup . . .

Rarsa has become one of the founders of the Puppy Foundation - perhaps you want to get involved too? Check out the wiki
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Rich

#10 Post by Rich »

got as far as the

From the console execute ./cupsinstall.sh

I get the message './cupsinstall.sh : Permission denied'

:(

#11 Post by Guest »

may not be executable

#chmod 0755 cupsinstall.sh

or you can just try

#sh cupsinstall.sh

One thing any directoires that get created in /var are going to be lost after every reboot nad may need recreating on each reboot.

dewdrop

CUPS: Almost here !

#12 Post by dewdrop »

Rarsa,

I am in Chubby Puppy live install - pristine pup001 file.

1. I have downloaded both files and put them into their own folder.

2. I untarred cupsinstall.tar.gz using the TkZip Archiver software that is located under the UTILITIES Menu (this was personal preference since I'm used to untarring in this fashion).

3. I initially then executed ./cupsinstall.sh - and got the permission denied response.

4. Then I executed the chmod a+x cupsinstall.sh
Then I executed the ./cupsinstall.sh

This brought up the arrangement that you see in the attached photo.

The operation stopped at this point since the http connection did not apparently complete its mission.

I am stopped at this point....

One additional point. You say to google to find out if I have available the CUPS drivers for the printers I have. How do I do this procedure (my Linux Newbie-ness showing thru here).

Seems to be working great as far as I got.

Dewdrop
Last edited by dewdrop on Sun 04 Sep 2005, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

rarsa

#13 Post by rarsa »

Woow, nice response
bladehunter wrote:One thing any directoires that get created in /var are going to be lost after every reboot nad may need recreating on each reboot
Actually those folders are created by cupsd when it starts so it shouldn't be a problem. One of my tests included rebooting after the installation.
Rich wrote:I get the message './cupsinstall.sh : Permission denied'
Thank you, I've fixed the instructions.
dewdrop wrote:I am stopped at this point....
The script downloads the required components from a Slackware mirror. I selected the fastest Mirror at that time. Apparently the mirror is everloaded or something like that. Try again later.

Notes:
- I've added some extra notes to the instructions. If you are using a modem connection Please review them.
- I'm thinking about separating the CUPS and ESP Ghostscript installations. I don't think ESP Ghostscript is required in every situation and it's a quite large download.

rarsa

#14 Post by rarsa »

dewdrop wrote: You say to google to find out if I have available the CUPS drivers
To search for something you go to www.google.com and enter the words you want to search on:

e.g. "HP Deskjet 320 CUPS drivers"

Press enter and youl'll have to browse the returned pages to find out which ones are relevant.

In this case and as an example I found this page
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_print ... skJet_3320

You happen to be a very lucky person! HP Printers are the best supported printers under linux. HP Created a driver that works with an impressive number of printers (both HP and other brands). As such I've created an installer for the driver and I will be including it in the instructions page.

rarsa

#15 Post by rarsa »

I've updated the instructions and repackaged the install.

Please go to the Original post and review the instructions.

I've fixed quite a few things. Here is the change log:

Sept 3, 2005 2:37 pm EST
- Added the hpijs printer driver which supports hundreds of printers from many brands.
- Created separate scripts for CUPS, ESP Ghostscript and the hpijs driver.
- Packaged all the scripts and configuration files in one download.
- Changed the protocol for the wget from HTTP to FTP. Now the download is faster.
- The scripts now download the packages to /root/tmp so you don't have to redownload them every time.
- The script will continue with a failed download when you re-run it.

#16 Post by Guest »

Great work, but from previous experience I find that most people are lazy when it comes to doing things for themselves. Look we couldn't even get people to read the instructions for thw wifi dotpup even tho it pops up during the installation. So the only draw back I can see is people not willing to put the effort into finding the correct drivers for their printer, I know it sux bigtime but that's the way it is.

Just a note, if one is going to use Puppy as a print server only, ie other printers using the printer resources of puppy, the 'raw' driver will work as the other machines do all the printer specific formatting.

dewdrop

CUPS

#17 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Rarsa,

I read the new instructions and everything fell into place ....except as shown on the last printscreen below.

(I'm not sure that they have been added in the correct order, but they are numbered correctly....if the number of each screenshot is attached - I don't see that #1 is attached I'll make another post and add it there.)

Printscreen1 = was the result of completing step #8 of the new instructions.

Printscreens 2 & 3 = These got me thru step #9 to the point that I requested that the test page be printed.

Printscreen 4 = This is where I'm at after trying various combinations of the steps in the instructions.

I have not tried the HP3320 printer yet.

This was a lot of work on your part...thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I shall keep trying various combinations until it hits for each printer. If you can see something that I'm not doing correctly, let me know.

Dewdrop
Last edited by dewdrop on Sun 04 Sep 2005, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

dewdrop

CUPS

#18 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Rarsa,

Here's the Printscreen #1 that was left off of my previous reply.

Thanks again,

Dewdrop
Last edited by dewdrop on Sun 04 Sep 2005, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

rarsa

#19 Post by rarsa »

Dewdrop:

Good catch. I missed a parameter for the script. I've updated the instructions.

To restart CUPS you type "/etc/rc.d/rc.cups restart".

You need to restart CUPS in order to see the newly installed drivers.

So, for you the next steps are the following:

- Restart CUPS with the restart command.
- Delete the printer that you created. (you used the wrong driver as the right one didn't show in the list of drivers)
- Add a new printer. Please note that the printer must be connected to the computer.
- Select the appropriate driver. You will see one on the list that exactly matches your printer.
- Print a test page.

Your patient testing is helping a lot. Thank you for putting the time.

dewdrop

CUPS

#20 Post by dewdrop »

To restart CUPS you type "/etc/rc.d/rc.cups restart".

You need to restart CUPS in order to see the newly installed drivers.

So, for you the next steps are the following:

- Restart CUPS with the restart command.
- Delete the printer that you created. (you used the wrong driver as the right one didn't show in the list of drivers)
- Add a new printer. Please note that the printer must be connected to the computer.
- Select the appropriate driver. You will see one on the list that exactly matches your printer.
- Print a test page.
Hi Rarsa,

I did the adjustments as you instructed...still no go...this was a short test as I'm on my way to church in a bit. The listing of all of the printers did come up before..during one of the tests last night and I was able to select the correct printer from the list. However, note that the info I pass below as printscreens are what my results were after typing in the instructions as you sent them last evening.

I will get there...your instructions have been great so far.

Dewdrop
Last edited by dewdrop on Sun 04 Sep 2005, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.