EZpup-2 ... First Looks!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
WhoDo

EZpup-2 ... First Looks!

#1 Post by WhoDo »

Just want to keep the enthusiasm going for EZpup, so I thought you'd appreciate a screenie of EZpup-2 which is due to be released shortly. :P

Significant improvements include:

1. X11 animated mouse cursor theme selector and default Aero theme
2. MU's Gtk-Themechooser, so you can switch themes more easily, and add extra themes
3. MU's Puppy Software Installer (PSI) included by default
4. Several new X11 mouse themes to choose from.
5. Reduced number of XDG menu duplications

Enjoy!
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

You want to release it sooner rather than later . . .
I WANT IT NOW :oops:

No more clues :D

As Linux Tmxxine = Puppy + EZPup + SFS

Lobster (c'est moi) is an advocate of an extreme "Release Soon - Release Often" policy. Linux Prism (Beta 2) might come out a whole lot sooner - maybe last Thursday even . . .

gosh have hardly even finished the wiki page . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

WhoDo

#3 Post by WhoDo »

Lobster wrote:You want to release it sooner rather than later . . .
I WANT IT NOW :oops:
:lol: That's what I like about you, Lob. Subtle. :P
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

Why?

#4 Post by WhoDo »

Just because I can! 8)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#5 Post by Béèm »

Lobster wrote:2.16 manual On line and Pdf, different language versions
Nice initiative, but I see the Dutch translation is missing.
If this is not a dead born child, I might be willing to invest time for Dutch translation.
I do already translation for a newsreader product from French to English and Dutch.
The website of the product is in rework and the people have choosen for a multilingual approach with which it is very easy for the visitor to select his language by one click. The translators work each on the pages and once one is finished it is put online.

The product for this multilingual approach is: Joomla http://www.joomla.org.
Nice and easy to work with as translator.

jamesbond

#6 Post by jamesbond »

I will try to be subtler ... :P :P :P :P :P
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Shagbag

#7 Post by Shagbag »

I love EZpup. I wish it was the default for Puppy.
EZpup2 looks great. I'm looking forward to it. Great work. 8)

@Beem:
beter een vogel in de hand, den tien in de lucht!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#8 Post by Béèm »

Shagbag wrote: @Beem:
beter een vogel in de hand, den tien in de lucht!
Dat is een waarheid als een koe. :wink:

Béèm

#9 Post by Béèm »

I still have a problem:
When shutting down or rebooting, my cursor freezes, nothing comes on the screen, like the usual kill and other messages.
I don't know if it's harmfull.

Other people experiencing this?

Shagbag

#10 Post by Shagbag »

Yes. I have experienced the same thing twice only (een ezel stoot...)
The first time it was AFTER I saved my pup-save.sfs file using the 'save' icon on the desktop. Then, the next time, it was when I booted using the pfix=ram. Either way, this was not a problem for me, but I agree there is a bug but... achter de wolken, schjint de zon 8)

Béèm

#11 Post by Béèm »

So apparently not harmfull, but not normal.
(na regen komt zonneschijn)

Béèm

#12 Post by Béèm »

WhoDo, to keep your enthousiasme going, I still have that problem where in the system tray the freemem applet show as a thin vertical blue stripe.
Solutioned in your next release?

WhoDo

#13 Post by WhoDo »

Béèm wrote:WhoDo, to keep your enthousiasme going, I still have that problem where in the system tray the freemem applet show as a thin vertical blue stripe.
Solutioned in your next release?
I can't promise a "solution" because the problem is with Freememapplet, but what I can do is to include the modified Freememapplet that MU compiled for 2.15CE ... that should work better in the IceWM environment than apparently the default version is at present.

Hope that helps.

Béèm

#14 Post by Béèm »

WhoDo, fair enough.

MU

#15 Post by MU »

Wolf Pup

#16 Post by Wolf Pup »

WhoDo, will the .sfs icons and menu entries for openoffice disappearing when EZpup is installed be fixed in EZpup2?
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

friedsonjm

#17 Post by friedsonjm »

Apparently not.. my OO entries disappeared.
jf

dembola

#18 Post by dembola »

I have two really simple questions, to reveal my ignorance: :oops:

1) When I install the .pet it says I have two missing libraries:
libesd.so.0
libxmms.so.1

I don't have xmms installed so I presume that is why I am missing the second; is the first one necessary?

2) I have the backdrop, cursor effects, and icons of ezpup2. However, how do I get the cool start menu to show up?

Thanks!

EDIT: I solved the second problem. It turns out that downloading the file and running it with petget caused it to convert the icons and desktop but not switch to the IceWM window manager. Downloading and saving the file and then loading it solved this problem.

EDIT 2: I have a couple more questions (is there some sort of comprehensive documentation on this somewhere?)

1) is there a way to get the "save" button on the desktop for my multisession dvd

2) is there a way to show the free ram in my ramdisk.

WhoDo

#19 Post by WhoDo »

dembola wrote:1) When I install the .pet it says I have two missing libraries:
libesd.so.0
libxmms.so.1

I don't have xmms installed so I presume that is why I am missing the second; is the first one necessary?
These libraries are identified by PETget as dependencies for icesound (libesd.so.0) and wxmms(libxmms.so.1) in icedock. Both are provided with IceWM 1.2.30 in EZpup, but not enabled by default so the dependencies are irrelevant and can safely be ignored.
dembola wrote:2) I have the backdrop, cursor effects, and icons of ezpup2. However, how do I get the cool start menu to show up? ...[snip]...

EDIT: I solved the second problem. It turns out that downloading the file and running it with petget caused it to convert the icons and desktop but not switch to the IceWM window manager. Downloading and saving the file and then loading it solved this problem.
That is why you are required to reboot after installing EZpup, as indicated in the final PETget message dialogue for installations affecting WM's and Xserver. IceWM will be the default WM on reboot.
dembola wrote:EDIT 2: I have a couple more questions (is there some sort of comprehensive documentation on this somewhere?)

1) is there a way to get the "save" button on the desktop for my multisession dvd

2) is there a way to show the free ram in my ramdisk.
There is no "comprehensive documentation", even "any" documentation on EZpup, except in my head. There is documentation for each of the components, but that is fairly scattered. You can get full specs/docs/manuals on IceWM from their website.

1) I thought the "Save" button on the desktop would only appear if you were booting from USB media? In any case, that's a Puppy 2.16.1 issue and not EZpup. If the resource is there in Puppy you would need to know where, navigate to that location and then just drag the script or whatever to the desktop.

2) Disk free, on the desktop above the Console, will show RAM disk space, pup_save.2fs free and unionfs space used in a Frugal install. I'm not sure what it shows if run from a LiveCD.

Hope that helps

dembola

#20 Post by dembola »

Thanks a lot!

I just made myself a Save icon. Creating the Save icon was relatively simple...I just had to make an icon that linked to /usr/sbin/savesession-dvd.