Puppy won't recognize Creative Sound Card

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
DLWood

Puppy won't recognize Creative Sound Card

#1 Post by DLWood »

I'm running Puppy 2.14 with a Frugal Install on a HP Vectra VL 350MHz desktop with 128MB RAM. I have a dual boot with Win2000Pro.

I have a Creative AWE64 16-bit Sound Card installed. Windows recognizes it just fine and the sound is good. Puppy won't find it. I've tried several versions of Puppy with several different computers and they have always recognized the on-board or installed sound card....until now. This is the first time I've put Puppy on this particular computer though. I ran the ALSA setup including probing the legacy cards....nothing.

Any thoughts?

cb88

#2 Post by cb88 »

I also have a creative card
open console and type "alsamixer" (I just type "alsam"+tab) 8) lazy i guess. Use "left" "right" on the keyboard to navigate "up" "down" to raise lower volume. Some of the options may show MM (means Mute) while you have an mp3 playing raise the volume for each option and select the options with the MM and type "m" to unmute be carefull if you have a big amp you might blow out a eardrum or two so turn down the volume first.

My card is muted by default.
driver: emu10k1 02:0d.0 class 0401: 02:0002 (rev08)
creative sb live
correction the digital output (looks just like a regular headphone plug) is muted by default not sure about the plain jane analog head phone plug
another correction turn down the volume so you don't bolw your speakers out. A big amp in a laptop HA :roll: .

DLWood

#3 Post by DLWood »

Thanks cb88. I have done that in the past to set the volume. But the problem is that Puppy won't even recognize the sound card. When I run ALSA setup, it says "No supported PnP or PCI card found". So "alsamix" also says "No such device".

I'd love to use alsamix to set the volume if Puppy would just recognize the card!!! :wink:

steevieb

#4 Post by steevieb »

DLWood

#5 Post by DLWood »

Thanks steevieb, the second thread you referenced helped. It said:

===========
The sound would not play even though I tried to adjust volume through puppy. The ALSA sound wizard would not detect my audio card and modprobe didn't have any error codes.

To get sound working, I have to

1) run the command "modprobe snd-sbawe"
2) run alsamixer to increase the master volume

To add this to the startup rc.local script, I add the following commands

modprobe snd-sbawe
# the following 2 commands set some of the default sound
# volume levels, upon initialization, they default to 0
amixer set Master 75%
amixer set PCM 50%
===========

Now I have sound with my Puppy!!! :wink:

Browny

Sound in puppy

#6 Post by Browny »

While running the command "modprobe snd-sbawe", i am getting fatal error as "Fatal: Error inserting snd-sbawe (lib/modules/2.6.18.1/kernel/sound/isa/sb/snd-sbawe.ko) : No such device.

could you help me?

Browny

xandas

How to make alsa recon legacy cards

#7 Post by xandas »

Look :
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14108,

there are a copy of missing drivers.
Follow that instructions.
Xan

scotto_puppy

Puppy won't recognize Creative Sound Card (fixed)

#8 Post by scotto_puppy »

Oh such Joy - thanks a million Cb88 for the solution to my SB problems. Imagine muted as the default! Not sure why that would be, but your solution worked perfectly.
Thanks heaps :)