DOSEMU for Puppy

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.

Would you like a DOS emulator for Puppy?

Yes
98%
No
2%

Total votes: 42

Bruce B

DOSEMU for Puppy

#1 Post by Bruce B »

I got the DOSEMU working in Puppy. It is still a work in progress but it looks good so far.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile making a dotpup package, meaning I wonder how many people would want to be able to run DOS in Puppy. I guess the best way to find out is do a survey.

Walt H

#2 Post by Walt H »

I'm not sure what I'd use it for, but why not? The more capabilities Puppy has, the better.

Can someone (or several someones) give a few examples of the DOS programs they would be able to run with an emulator? No hurry, just curious. :)
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

JaDy

#3 Post by JaDy »

I'd use DOSEMU to run PsyPlan Professional Publishing System.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

I am still reeling over being able to run Vector Linux programs from inside Puppy - Now we may have FreeDOS and all sorts? (knew all those 5 1/4" programs I kept would come in useful)

I am wondering what Jon Murga is doing with WIne? I would ask but I feel he is busy . . . (I am sure he will get around to it . . .) Will this be simpler/ easier? I would like to see it - for sure . . .
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 19 Aug 2005, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

i was experimenting with dosemu just yesterday

pic of dosshell running in Puppy:
http://tinypic.com/9r2hdi.jpg

EarlSmith

#6 Post by EarlSmith »

Yes, Yes, Yes ------
QuickBooks for dos, or would it also be able to run Win3.11 and then I could run QB for windows.
Please make a DotPup!
G2, did you have any problem running dos programs!

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

Earl, you can't run Windows 3.11 on FreeDOS.

There is an opendos emulator you can find on FTP search, it should be able to run Windows.

Also, you could make an MS-DOS setup version 5.00 thru 7.00 which should be able to run Windows 3.11

I've never done it but, I've read that it can be done. In order to do it, you will have to read and learn from others, there is nothing intuitive about it.

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

So far everything is looking good on this one, still some tuning to do, to make it just right. Also, I'd like to update and add some software.

Screen shot of Norton Commander running in Puppy on a mounted DOS partition

ChiJoan

How is DosEmu with DOS games?

#9 Post by ChiJoan »

Hi,

I'd be interested since I still have lots of DOS and Win 3.11 software. I've been searching the Web for Linux games. I'm surprised no one has done a GinRummy or Rummy 500 so far. Maybe someone will make an extension for Firefox for other games soon.

If I ever get my finances together, maybe I can get a machine that can have Virtual Systems for my various operating systems. I used to use Vcom Partition Commander with System Commander built-in, but having to shutdown to switch is a pain.

Since Novell has released Zen into OpenSuse perhaps in the not too distant future virtual systems maybe affordable for more of us. Then we could switch from DOS to Linux to any Windows, or anything else the hardware could handle.

Thanks for your hard work guys,
ChiJoan

stevoomba

Re: DOSEMU for Puppy

#10 Post by stevoomba »

Hi Bruce. This is a great project - I like fiddling around with dos, particularly in regard to the Arachne web browser http://browser.arachne.cz/ . There is a bunch of guys here: http://www.geocities.com/arachne_os/ looking at making Arachne a stand-alone OS, and if you want to try it running in ram, you can get the boot floppy here: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=402046 It's super-fast, even on my p133 32mb ram craptop.

So I'd like to not have to boot into my Win95 partition to do this dos stuff, and I think the power and minimalism of the Arachne OS idea would appeal to a lot of Pupsters...

Steve

EarlSmith

#11 Post by EarlSmith »

I used Arachne but thought it was no longer supported. Thank you for the links.

syzygy

#12 Post by syzygy »

there's a yahoo group for arachne OS at :-

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arachneos/

cheers

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

The last time I used this browser I was amazed at how good it is. A DOS based browser OS is a great idea. The problem for me was internet connection (which I could not fathom in the time I alloted).
SCO bought rights to the code? What have they done with it?

Glad to see that someone with real potential is trying to implement it.

Good luck
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

stevoomba

#14 Post by stevoomba »

Re: SCO bought rights to the code? What have they done with it?
--- Arachne has been gpl-ed now, last year some time. The latest release is 1.83, only a month or so ago, the second open-source one.

It's had a neat modem auto-detector for quite a while. As long as it's a standard external hardware modem. I found it didn't like the modem being on "com2" even though it says it's scanning all ports.

The Yahoo group for Arachneos is pretty quiet, but newcomers poke their head in every now and then, and we're just going to see what happens I guess.

I like the idea of an os that runs entirely in ram, it makes sense to me. It just needs an unbloated system. Arachne is already quite versatile, and can read text documents from any drive on your pc without having to mount manually. Plus there's a way of getting external packages that I haven't quite worked out yet.

Steve

Bruce B

#15 Post by Bruce B »

I've not been posting much on this thread I started, but I've been doing a lot. I've been impressed with the Bochs Emulator (open source and free). Some people like the qemu because it's faster, but it was lacking some keystrokes I don't want to lose. Otherwise, I expect for the most part the disk images made with one or the other would be interchangeable. Also, the BOCHS runs respectably well in Puppy, much better than I thought it would.

In my tests it has supported all DOSes I've tried very well (MS-DOS, DR DOS, and FreeDOS).

I've come up with techniques to easily mount the disk images from within Puppy and read and write to them without problems, using ROX, the commandline or Midnight Commander.

Yesterday I installed Puppy in the emulator from within Puppy. I've not yet determined if there is any practical advantage to running Puppy on Puppy. :)

View the 1024x768 screen shot if you want to see Puppy running Puppy.

If I could remember where my Windows 3.1 and 3.11 disks are I'll test it. I guess my next test is to see how well Windows 95 will run in Puppy.

I'll report back with results, but so far things are looking good.

Bruce B

#16 Post by Bruce B »

I just installed and tested Windows 3.11 on DOS 6.22 in the Bochs emulator. I'm please to say that it works great. I didn't try and configure the network or printer, but it does run all the applications well at relatively good speed.

I expect within a week or so I'll have a Bochs dotpup kit put together to make for easy installation and configuration. You'll have to provide your own the Microsoft software, the kit will have FreeDOS to get you up and running.

Here's a screenshot of Puppy running Windows 3.11

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

We are not worthy. We are not worthy.

8)

Have made this a news item for Sep 2 05
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/LatestNews

I was just staring at the image slobbering . . . (do you pity me for my MS addictions? - so be it . . .)
What intrigues me (again and again) is not what people might do with Puppy but what they ARE doing. Gosh I am glad you went ahead with this . . .

Good luck
:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#18 Post by BarryK »

That's great!

Thinking back to when I used win 3.11, it was okay, of course the 8.3 filename limit -- I wonder, any workaround for that these days?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#19 Post by Lobster »

As far as I am aware FreeDos has support for larger filenames (or did they go for compatibility with limits)

I had 3.11 running with 8 meg ram on a 386SX - it was fast and sweet.

MS said 95 would run faster on the same equipment. They lied. They have been lying ever since. At that time an extra 8 meg of memory was expensive.

PS. (I still like XP)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mouldy

#20 Post by mouldy »

Frankly win3.1 ran best on early pentiums. Much better than on earlier computers. My ex bought an early pentium with 3.1 installed. Very stable on that machine. Finally with advent of pentiums, 3.1 had enough resources not to crash. Course 3.1 was ditched soon after pentiums showed up and those with 3.1 switched to win95 cause M$ said it was vastly superior (for a small additional upgrade fee of course) which then got them back to the familiar blue screen of death.

Geoworks (GeOS) is the best system on 386/486. That was a rock solid operating system. So much better than win3.1 but the ruthless M$ marketing juggernaught left it dieing alongside the roadway. Sameway BeOS was much better than win9x, but got crushed.

And with all due respect to the clawsman, I aint wild about XP.Sure dont like taking it online due to all the cleanup/updates/protection necessary. On top of that, though its more stable than win9x, its stability sure isnt anything to brag about compared to better versions of linux. Dont know, maybe like 3.1, it is more stable on newer faster computers than what it was originally designed for. Just keep it around for occasional off line use for few things where available software is better than under linux. Even then, figure I'll have to freshly install it every once in a while.