2.15CE save script destroys data if save file too small

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Leachim

2.15CE save script destroys data if save file too small

#1 Post by Leachim »

I'm very annoyed about the Puppy save script (V2.15). I now repeatedly lost data, because the save-file wasn't big enough. (There were 300 MB or more free space available before I initiated the shutdown.)

Also, there would habe been enough free space on the USB-stick containing the save file, but there is no way to increase the save-file until the next reboot.

If newly entered or modified data wouldn't be wrote back that wouldn't be a catastrophe. But it seems that random files become corrupted in cases of memory outage in the save-file! Even kernel modules that I surely never touched now have a size of 0 bytes. :-(

I will have to install a fresh Puppy and try to rescue as many of my data files as possible from the original system - very annoying indeed!

Leachim

#2 Post by Leachim »

I found the application that is responsible for the vast updates from the ramdisk to the save-file: Thunderbird!

The whole inbox (several hundred MBs) is kept in one single file and therefor "swapped" to the ramdisk (the machine I'm currently using has 4 GB of RAM).

But this is still no explanation for losing configuration files and driver modules!