Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Jan 2018, 10:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
EZpup Here Now!
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 1 of 5 [72 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
WhoDo

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2007, 23:19    Post subject:  EZpup Here Now!
Subject description: Interface updater for 2.14, 2.15CE and 2.16+

I have just uploaded the first edition of EZpup.pet to a couple of our mirrors. MU and PkaG will advise here when they are available for download.

Basically EZpup is an update to your user interface for the above versions of Puppy. It includes:

Icewm 1.2.30
Rox Filer 2.6 update
Icewin Configuration Manager by Tronkel
Selected Icewm themes
New icons and mime types to match themes
New background images to suit themes
Updated winoptions for more taskbar icons
Blinky network activity monitor - patched for Icwm
Updated XDG menu template for Icewm
Updated usability options for Rox and Icewm
Extra Gtk2 themes - (requires MU-Gtk-Themechooser to install)

Be aware that it will replace your Rox pinboard settings, so please save a backup copy of those if you need to.

EZpup may be completely UNINSTALLED using the PETget package manager (Install icon on the desktop).

Enjoy.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2007, 00:52    Post subject: Puplet creation using .pet  

Smile Well done Warren. I am hoping this will be the preferred way to create puplets and yours is the first of this new breed. Can you say something about the creation process?

Look forward to trying this. 2.17 will be using a new kernel, will it work with 2.17 I wonder?

Previously known as Guest

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2007, 02:24    Post subject:  

EZpup-1.29.05.07.pet
EZpup.txt
WhoDo

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2007, 02:29    Post subject: Re: Puplet creation using .pet  

Lobster wrote:
Smile Well done Warren. I am hoping this will be the preferred way to create puplets and yours is the first of this new breed. Can you say something about the creation process?

Believe it or not it was only a couple of hours work, including comprehensive testing on a clean 2.16 install! It helped that I had most of the Icewm and Rox 2.6 configurations installed elsewhere on my system, so all I had to do was look and see what the configuration files said and then copy them over to the new dotpet.

The final process is identical to creating a dotpet package for anything else. I made a directory called EZpup and put everything in there. Then I used dir2pet to create the dotpet file. Couldn't be easier.

Lobster wrote:
Look forward to trying this. 2.17 will be using a new kernel, will it work with 2.17 I wonder?

The EZpup dotpet should work fine on all Puppy versions from 2.14 onward. That restriction is only due to the PETget manager not reaching maturity until 2.14, and the absence of XDG menus in prior versions ... otherwise there should be no restrictions. It is essentially just a look-and-feel update to your Puppy version.

In fact, if you are really determined to use a version of Puppy 2.xx prior to 2.14, all you need to do is unpack the dotpet package and copy the relevant directories to their appropriate locations. Of course you won't have XDG menus to automatically update to your new layout, so you'll have to either install that or manually update your /root/.icewm/menu file.

WhoDo

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2007, 02:46    Post subject:  

MU has also mirrored EZpup.pet here:

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/WindowManagers/

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2007, 04:14    Post subject: EZpup improves your Puppy experience  

It was downloading too fast (I was thinking it was a distro)
It is 14MB

So if you have Puppy 2.16.1 and you want the Bow WOW of 2.15
. . . which includes the very stable and good looking Icewm

download the EzPup, click and wait for it to install
restart X
done

Give your Puppy a treat Smile

This could start a trend. Certainly hope so . . .

keilor

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2007, 08:30    Post subject:  

I have just installed EZpup on 2.15 and the Puppy background image utility is no longer working. If I run puppybackgroundmenu from the command line I get :
Code:
sh-3.00# puppybackgroundmenu
sh-3.00#
(list:3068): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
sh: line 1:  3068 Segmentation fault      ./list config.rc buttons1.rc buttons2.rc icons.rc
sh-3.00#
WhoDo

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2007, 18:58    Post subject:  

keilor wrote:
I have just installed EZpup on 2.15 and the Puppy background image utility is no longer working. If I run puppybackgroundmenu from the command line I get :
Code:
sh-3.00# puppybackgroundmenu
sh-3.00#
(list:3068): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
sh: line 1:  3068 Segmentation fault      ./list config.rc buttons1.rc buttons2.rc icons.rc
sh-3.00#

Hmmmm... I don't know what to tell you here. EZpup was created in a 2.15CE install environment, and it didn't include any changes to the Puppy Background Installer developed by MU. Are the files mentioned in your error message physically present in the /usr/local/Puppybackground/resource directory? All are present in my resource directory under 2.15 and I have no problems with the background setter, even though I have the exact environment that EZpup creates.

Perhaps MU can advise why his script fails with that error.

richard.a

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2007, 19:53    Post subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
MU has also mirrored EZpup.pet here:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/WindowManagers/

And I have put one here, having just downloaded it... http://micro-hard.homelinux.net/puppy/EZpup/Downloads/

I'll try it on 215ce (live) and see if I can reproduce the problem. That will also check the download as being a good one.

I didn't have much success with 2.16 per se, but it was an early pre-release version of that.

Richard in Adelaide

richard.a

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2007, 20:30    Post subject:  

Good one, Warren Smile

I didn't have any problems. Copied the pup_save.2fs to pup_save-EZ.2fs, loaded it at startup, and after 14megs of number crunching, bingo!

Default desktop here...

And I changed to my dark raindrop one here...

I'm beginning to think that for the average user there's not much point in having a choice of window managers though. Looking at doing an imitator of ubuntu (Pupbuntu) for someone I know who likes the feel of ubuntu. The only problem is that you need three different "start" menus, and Joe isn't responding with advice. JWM is ideally suited for an ubuntu look-alike.

Richard
Adelaide

WhoDo

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2007, 21:10    Post subject:  

richard.a wrote:
I'm beginning to think that for the average user there's not much point in having a choice of window managers though. Looking at doing an imitator of ubuntu (Pupbuntu) for someone I know who likes the feel of ubuntu. The only problem is that you need three different "start" menus, and Joe isn't responding with advice. JWM is ideally suited for an ubuntu look-alike.

There are Ubuntu clone themes for Icewm, Richard. You can also overcome that "three different 'start' menus" issue in Icewm by renaming and using the Quicklaunch menu and adding another similar menu button to the taskbar.

I know you generally prefer JWM, but once you get into Icewm, and even Xfce4, you'll see possibilities you hadn't imagined with JWM. Try starting Puppy Sound Mixer in EZpup and minimize to the taskbar and you'll start to see the power of Icewm's winoptions file, for example.

Cheers

richard.a

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2007, 21:58    Post subject:  

I suspect this is substantially off topic

Thankyou Warren, for your very quick reply Smile
WhoDo wrote:
There are Ubuntu clone themes for Icewm, Richard. You can also overcome that "three different 'start' menus" issue in Icewm by renaming and using the Quicklaunch menu and adding another similar menu button to the taskbar.

I wasn't so interested in grabbing someone else's customisation, though, because if I do it for somebody else I may well be asked to look after it for them. I had actually wondered if I could get a second menu that way... and never gave the thought of a third one a nod Smile

WhoDo wrote:
I know you generally prefer JWM, but once you get into Icewm, and even Xfce4, you'll see possibilities you hadn't imagined with JWM.

I do like JWM for its extreme simplicity, but since Joe got a new hosting (I suspect thats the reason) his forums no longer exist, and after waiting over a week for someone in #unix (or wherever) on freenode to pass a message, I gave up. What little I know about it is adequate. And it looks far more like a simple clean ubuntu menu to my untutored eye. At least adaptable to such lol.

Yes, Ice is a nice product. But we desperately need instructions on how to configure, adjust, modify (etc) it IN THE PUPPY ENVIRONMENT. That includes the XDG menus of course because reading the Ice manual for those things is futile, and I haven't even bothered because of the confusion it would cause me.

WhoDo wrote:
Try starting Puppy Sound Mixer in EZpup and minimize to the taskbar and you'll start to see the power of Icewm's winoptions file, for example.

Not quite sure I follow. I just played a magnificent choral mp3 doing that, and yes, the sound was brilliant Smile "winoptions" ?????

Actually my thoughts got a little jumbled and it didn't really come out very clearly lol. Problem with the sheer weight of "anno domini" - age Smile Very Happy

My musing was actually about "do we really need this common XDG menu structure where you can't/don't/shouldn't edit the window manager of choice's menu in the right place, but in some other spot which doesn't quite do what you want, because you are doing it to two or maybe three menus, and I'll (or my customer will) only ever use one set?"

That's fine for geeks and nerds (which I'm not) but for someone who just wants a computer that works, I have to wonder.

Richard

keilor

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2007, 23:58    Post subject:  

@WhoDo: It's starting to look like there is something amiss on my machine. I can't state for certain that it was working before installing EZpup because it's been sometime since I used it. Maybe it was messed up by something else.

I'll do some sniffing around and see what I can find. I am using a remastered version of 215 so I might boot it with pfix=ram and see what happens from there.
richard.a

PostPosted: Wed 30 May 2007, 01:48    Post subject:  

Just to confirm.

I downloaded and ran 2.16.1 in pfix=ram, and changed wallpaper okay. I went back to the original wallpaper and started taking snaps as I then installed the Ezpup pet upgrader.

I was able to change wallpapers once I had restarted the X Server, but not before (which was to be expected), getting various error messages suggesting the pinboard had died.

Having checked the basics, I then ran the uninstaller and it performed slickly.

Warren, a precision job, mate Smile

Just out of curiosity, something odd which would not be in the Ezpup side, but in the 2.16.1 base system.

If I started mut from a console, closing the console closed mut as well.

Running from the "run" dialogue, it worked well.

Same goes for pmount, and I suspect all applications launched from a console window. Suggest this needs fixing.

WhoDo

PostPosted: Wed 30 May 2007, 02:21    Post subject:  

richard.a wrote:
If I started mut from a console, closing the console closed mut as well.

Running from the "run" dialogue, it worked well.

Same goes for pmount, and I suspect all applications launched from a console window. Suggest this needs fixing.

This is true for all applications started from a console window, regardless of Puppy version. I ran across the "problem"/"feature" when I was trying to run Midnight Commander, which is a CLI-based application. I finally solved the problem with a shell script, so I didn't have to have the console open.

If it bothers you, Richard, I suggest adding it to another thread eg suggestions for 2.18 or similar. It may be a function of rxvt that cannot be resolved, however.

Cheers

Page 1 of 5 [72 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: