Updated Xorgwizard+ Updated Xvesa wizard

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Leon

#41 Post by Leon »

The 28th April version successfully solved the problem with missing resolutions. In the 9th May version and in Puppy 2.16rc the problem reappeared.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 68&t=17369
BarryK wrote:Dougal, yes, native resolutions only -- that's why I got confused with the 28th April version. But you would still have to cater for failed probing that doesn't return enough modes -- maybe, as was suggested, another button "Show more modes" -- but too many buttons can become confusing, also 'dialog' is limited to three buttons.
What about adding the option "Show more modes ..." to the end of the list of native resolutions? When choosing this option then a warning message will be displayed:

"Caution!
Unsupported resolution may harm your computer!"

BarryK
Puppy Master

#42 Post by BarryK »

The 28th April version successfully solved the problem with missing resolutions. In the 9th May version and in Puppy 2.16rc the problem reappeared.
Yeah, annoying. But there was the opposite problem where a LCD panel only natively supports one mode, doesn't want a heap of others showing.

Leon

#43 Post by Leon »

BarryK wrote:Yeah, annoying. But there was the opposite problem where a LCD panel only natively supports one mode, doesn't want a heap of others showing.
I agree. That's why I think that a simple line "Show more modes..." at the end of the list of native resolutions could be an acceptable solution.

Dougal

#44 Post by Dougal »

Anybody interested in testing something?

I noticed that the xorg.conf.new file (generated by Xorg when it probed my HW) contained more modules to load than are included in the final xorg.conf.
The reason for that is that those modules are ignored and what you get in xorg.conf are just a few constant modules which come in xorg.conf0.

So I modified the wizard to add any modules listed in xorg.conf.new which aren't in the list of defaults.

I don't know how exactly we benefit from this... I don't have any info on these modules, but I tend to assume that if Xorg listed them, thay might be useful...
(in my case only two additional modules were listed, "dri" and "record", both of which were not loaded before hand -- never appeared in /var/log/Xorg.0.log)

Note that this tarball also includes a modified xorg.conf0, which should go in /etc/X11/. (if you want to go back to the old version of the wizard, you will have to restore both files, from /initrd/pup_ro2)
Attachments
xorgwizard-modules.tar.gz
(17.42 KiB) Downloaded 498 times
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

kirk

#45 Post by kirk »

Yes, same results with my ATI m300.

Load "dri"
Load "record"

Seem to be the only difference. Don't know what record does.