For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Philh

3DCC order of pictures

#81 Post by Philh »

I noticed that the instructions say
DRM - OPENGL - DRI - REBOOT
but the order of the pictures is
DRM - DRI - OPENGL
Might be good to make them the same just to avoid any confusion.

Phil

lvds

#82 Post by lvds »

Hi Mark,

When using Puppy Software Installer for install of 3DCC, there are a few packages found whom names contains puppy versions, like:
3DCC-puppy-2.11-and-2.13.pup

...which is confusing for newbies as we are now using puppy v2.16.

Perhaps it would be good to use a generic name for 3DCC with its own version number, no ?

I have found problems with DRI installer with your last 3DCC version and latest puppy. I have followed the process install DRM, OpenGL, then DRI with reboot.

first on a old computer with radeon 7000/VE the xorg.conf file does not use "radeon" as DRI, it states Driver is "ati". Do i have to change it manually ?

then on a recent computer with Intel GMA 915, i choose i915 to install DRI but it is still i810 that is used and i can never have i915 to load...

By the way, wouldn't it be good to have all of this loaded in puppy and automagically setted up at boot time according to the detected hardware ?
This would simplify much because newbies are lost at doing all of this here !

Thanks for your great job Mark !

Best regards,
Laurent.

MU

#83 Post by MU »

yes, it should be radeon instead of ati.
You can replace it, though i think (but am not shure), that also the "ati" entry detects the radeon module.
For my Ati 7000 I used "radeon".

I810: I can't tell anything about this, never had one.

Automatic detection:
DRI-drivers are loaded automatically, if they are present, and xorg.conf is set up correctly.

In my puplet Muppy007 this is the case, when you choose to load the "additional programs" at startup.
This loads a second .sfs file from CD, that includes those drivers.
I also modified the xorg.conf0 that is used by Puppys xorgwizard to generate a valid xorg.conf, so it already includes the important "load "dri"" entry.

Concerning "versioning": you're right, a next release should take care of that.

Mark

mikeb

#84 Post by mikeb »

Hmm the r128 driver is loaded and in use with 2.02 regression on the same machine...provides hardware accelleration for video watching...perhaps I should try the 3dcc there instead as 2.12 seems to be a no go for some reason...the driver is included with the mplayer install.

mike

bgirten

#85 Post by bgirten »

using 3dcc, I've had no luck with a vendor-provided driver for the via Unichrome cn700, and it is not supported with the 3dcc-provided driver... since I'm such a noob, what are the chances of getting an updated unichrome driver included with 3dcc?

tempestuous

#86 Post by tempestuous »

bgirten wrote:using 3dcc, I've had no luck with a vendor-provided driver for the via Unichrome cn700
There was once a vendor-provided 3D driver from viaarena.com, but it was very unreliable. It has since been removed from the viaarena website.
bgirten wrote:and it is not supported with the 3dcc-provided driver
Yes it is. See page 1 of this thread - forum member dvw86 is using the 3D Unichrome drivers.

bgirten

#87 Post by bgirten »

The CN700 is a Unichrome Pro, and is not listed among the chipsets checked for in my xorg log file when I start x with the Via driver in Xorg.conf. should I be using a different driver?

tempestuous

#88 Post by tempestuous »

It sounds like the Unichrome DRM/DRI drivers are not playing well with your CN700, which I presume is a more recent version of the Unichrome chip.
It would be worth checking a few things -

1. Run "lsmod" to make sure that the "drm" and "via" kernel modules are loaded. If not, manually load them and restart Xorg.

2. Check your /etc/xorg.conf. In Section Module you should have -
Load "dri"
Load "glx"

In Section Device you should have -
Driver "via"
Option "PciRetry" "true"

In Section Screen you should have -
DefaultDepth 16
(because 3D drivers sometimes fail with 24 bit)

3. Also check the output of "dmesg". I suspect you will see something failing in relation to "drm" or "agp".

If still no success, you can now try these updated Unichrome DRM drivers, which come from www.openchrome.org. The Xorg 3D code for VIA Unichrome comes from this project.
This package provides updated kernel modules "drm" and "via", plus the libdrm library.

I also tried to compile the updated VIA DRI driver, but this failed. Hopefully, just the DRM stuff will get things working.
Attachments
Unichrome-DRM-k2.6.18.1.pet
(122.23 KiB) Downloaded 690 times

bgirten

#89 Post by bgirten »

Back after the break.

Thanks for the help thus far, btw.

After going through your directions, I have everything set up according to what you mentioned in your post, but am still having issues. I hate to be a bother. I've attached the Xorg.0.log output that seems to pertain to what I'm doing.

Should this be directed to the developers of openchrome at this stage, or do you have any further suggestions?
Attachments
xerrors.plaintext.zip
Not really a zip file... plaintext.
(8.72 KiB) Downloaded 646 times

iwigo

#90 Post by iwigo »

i can't make it works. my card is a 3dlabs permedia 2 and the driver xorg is using is glint. what can i do?
thanks