Not really a bug just kinda weird

Please post any bugs you have found
mmm

Not really a bug just kinda weird

#1 Post by mmm »

Group,

First I'd like to say kudos and thank to Barry and everyone involved with the development of 2.16. It's really great, Puppy just gets better and better, some of the things that weren't quite there yet are improved significantly.

When I click on the drives icons Pmount opens most of the time but occasionally MUT rears its head, this really isn't a problem. A first I wasn't keen on Pmount but in 2.16 it works really well, I think in 2.14 I had trouble with it and external drives and thumb drives.

On a similar note 2.14 wouldn't play some videos that 2.16 plays and vice versa. Not really a problem because the ones that won't play were easily converted to an .avi with ffmpeg and the one that does play now couldn't be converted, so overall I'm ahead just odd I suppose. I'm using Gxine with the codec pack 2 dotpup.

Cheers,

MMM

Puppy 2.16 Live CD, 512MB pup_save.2fs

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

You might have two "drives" icons on the desktop, one that runs Pmount, the other runs MUT, and they are overlapping.
Drag the "install" icon and see if there's another underneath. If so, just delete the one you don't want.

mmm

#3 Post by mmm »

Barry,

Thanks Barry, a response from the man himself ;). I just worked this one out by complete accident after I had logged off last night (I'm on dial-up to). I clicked drives icon and i must of slid across as I did it, and I noticed that I now had two drive icons. One for Pmount and one for MUT, i just separated them a bit they might come in handy. It nice to know that I'm not going mad. I also open the icons as text and I was getting both results. Thanks for the response.

BTW I live in Perth, I was so surprised and chuffed that this operating system was "local". If you ever need a favour from or errand done in Perth I'd be only too happy to help out.

mmm

South oftheriver

Curtin Graduate BEng (Mech)

knerp2000"delete this"ATyahoo.com

Gekko

#4 Post by Gekko »

Puppy is evil when it comes to sound, will the next have alsa updated with equal versions?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

mmm wrote:Curtin Graduate BEng (Mech)
Hey, I graduated from Curtin too! Electronic Engineering, way back in 1972. :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Gekko wrote:Puppy is evil when it comes to sound, will the next have alsa updated with equal versions?
Yes, I shall attempt to do so. I'm moving up to the 2.6.21.1 kernel ...um, so what's the matching version number?

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

Barry, the version of ALSA drivers contained in the kernel source can be seen in /<kernelsource>/include/sound/version.h

Alternatively, you could use the same approach you did for Puppy v2.0: get the latest drivers/libraries from the ALSA website and completely upgrade the ALSA kernel drivers.