How do I install Nero-Linux in Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
nitestick

How do I install Nero-Linux in Puppy?

#1 Post by nitestick »

i'm not a noob to puppy or linux. i just don't know anything beyond basics. could someone explain to me a bit further how to install applications in linux because i've never needed anything beyond whats already included in puppy. in particular i was wondering if its possible and how to install nero-linux?

danleff

#2 Post by danleff »

Not to sound negative about installing packages in Puppy, but Nero Linux is only a trial version. See the Nero page here.

The disclaimer also states "Our trial versions are fully functional during the trial period."

So, at some point you would have to purchase it at $19.99 to get a serial number.

Also, it comes in an rpm or deb package only, which lists very limited support. I would assume that it would be a bear to make a package that could be used in Puppy.

Are you running into problems with the default burner in Puppy?

P.S. I just installed NeroLinux in Suse. It took over 20 minutes to download via DSL for the 10mb rpm file. The trial period is for 5 days only!
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

nitestick

#3 Post by nitestick »

lol. i've only had a few problems with the default burner and i just wanted to try nero-linux because i am far more familiar with the nero interface. thanks for the reply

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Because of the licensing you will find that (for example) the latest (and stable) versions of RedHat and Open Suse /Novel and even Solaris Unix are free to download. Ubuntu (my secondary OS) will send you free CD of their Debian based system. I wonder if Barry got his free Ubuntu yet?

However a ram based OS (that is Puppy) is rather fast and seductive. There are others - Austrumi and DSL come to mind but they are not as usable as Puppy for most of us here.

DSL is making huge strides with the ability to download extra software and greater stability. Many of us try and continue to try other OS. Some are better than others. Some dissapoint.

Puppy never dissapoints when it comes to usability. If you are going to take the Linux route by all means explore - that is part of the adventure but count yourself lucky that you have started with something both unique and frisky.

:)

Here is my report for Tmxxine on Linux
http://peace.wikicities.com/wiki/HolyGeek_Linux_Report
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Nathan F

#5 Post by Nathan F »

No one's really answered this guy's question!

If you really want to try it, go ahead and download it. I'd try the rpm first. You will need to extract the files. Since there are only two options (rpm or deb) you will need an additional utility to extract the files. Go to the wiki page on dotpup software and get the unrpm/undeb dotpup. Once you have unrpm/undeb and the Nero archive, do this.

Open up rxvt and navigate to the directory you downloaded the rpm
example:

Code: Select all

cd /root/nero
Use the unrpm command to extract the files there
example:

Code: Select all

unrpm nerolinux-2.0.0.2-x86.rpm
If you open up a rox window and go to the directory you extrcted the files at. There should be a new directory called usr there. Note that other software will put files in other places also. Basically what you want to do is move all of these files to the top level directory /usr. I'd just open up another rox window and go up, then drag usr there and keep clicking ok. You should then be able to run it from the command line just by typing nero.

Basically all Linux software packages, if they aren't source code, are some kind of compressed archive containing all of the files needed for the program to run. Package managers just use an automated system to decompress the archive and place the files in the right places. They may also optionally do other things like add menu entries or generate a list of files to make removal easier. All we did here was just perform the steps manually.

Be forwarned that any program you try out in this way may or may not work, is more than likely to have bugs, and will probably be deleted the next time you upgrade Puppy to the next version unless you register all of the files with pupget. You may get lucky, however, and find that it works.

If you run into any packages in the .tar.gz archive format they can also be installed using the pupget package manager. You just use the alien package option and tell pupget where to find the package. Examples of distros using regular tarballs are DSL and Slackware.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Thank you Nathan, for that tutorial. :)

Nitestick, let us know if it works, will you?

klhrevolutionist

here

#7 Post by klhrevolutionist »

ok first extract the rpm, like mentioned in above post!

step 1
open the folder nerolinux-2.0.0.2-x86, now inside of that open the folder usr
now open the folder bin
now place the executable named nero in /usr/local/bin/

now go back to open the folder nerolinux-2.0.0.2-x86, now inside of that open the folder usr
now merge the folder lib with /usr/lib

now open the folder nerolinux-2.0.0.2-x86, now inside of that open the folder usr
now open the folder share and place the folder named nero in /usr/local/lib/

enjoy!!!!!!!! place the executable named nero on the desktop for easy access!!!!!!!!
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

headfound

#8 Post by headfound »

Sorry to ressurect such an old post!

i've just installed nero linux using klhrevolutionist's simple method above and all is well - except nero can't see my dvd writer!
All the other cd/dvd apps can see it, but nero's window is blank. It seems that nero uses the ide-cdrom method of finding the drive (which puppy uses) so there should be no problem and it looks for dev/hda.

I have a full hard drive install of 2.15ce alpha.
Can anyone help please?
Download a better Computer :)
[url=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJYDHX3g]Puppy Linux Song[/url]
[url=http://www.letterbyletter.co.uk]www.letterbyletter.co.uk[/url]

pslinux20

Install Nero on Puppy

#9 Post by pslinux20 »

All right. I know this is coming too late for use to these guys but I am just one weeks into Puppy, and I am not very confortable with any command line process. So I did the next best. I relied on pet files. Here is how I have done it on Puppy 4.2.

You will require hard drive install of Puppy on ext partition for this to work. At least I did it on an ext.2 partition install.

Step.1 Download SFS combiner-plus-Gtkbasic003.pet and install it.

Step.2 Download SFS-Combiner.pup and install it. You will have to install dotpup-handler to install it. dotpup-handler can be installed from official pet of Puppy through pet installer.

Step-3 After installing this pup will open a directory automatically. You will see two files in this, namely pet2sfs and SFS-Combiner. Drage these two files to your desktop.

Step.4 Now extract Nero.rpm in a new folder Nero. It will give you two fiolders namely 'etc' and 'usr'.

Step-5. Click on pet2SFS on your desktop. It will open three windows. One of them will explain what to do next. Drage 'empty.sfs to the SFS-combiner window and click create the new_420.sfs.

Step.6 Now it will open further three windows. one of them will be blank windows. Just drage 'etc' and 'usr' folders into this blank window.

Step-7 in the xmessage window, click 'okay'

Step- 8 Now the action will start in the new third window 'buildsfs'. at the end of some 2 seconds it will ask you to press any key. Just click 'Enter' on your keyboard. A new windows will open with the name 'new_420.sfs'. Rename it to Nero_420.sfs.

Step.9 Copy this Nero_420. sfs to your hard drive. (click file on your desktop. you will see an icon hard-drive. Click on it and drage this sfs there.

Step-10 Reboot Puppy 4.2.

You will see the menu entry in 'Multimedia'. From there you can use it. If you have key then its your to use otherwise it will give you a trial period as decided by the Nero company.

If all this sound too basic or little too detailed then consider that I am only one week into Puppy. I hope it will help somebody....someday.