Do any 2.16 scripts use the losetup -f option?

Using applications, configuring, problems
wdef

Do any 2.16 scripts use the losetup -f option?

#1 Post by wdef »

Does the -f switch to losetup get called by any of Puppy's system scripts? (losetup is now only the full version).

I ask because it affects my experiments putting loop-aes into Puppy. Losetup, once patched for loop-aes, has some extra command line switches but lacks the -f (get next free loop) option.

If -f isn't used by anything in Puppy, I can just clobber losetup with the patched version.

Otherwise I could write a wrapper to mimic the -f switch and thus avoid having two versions on the system.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Yes, I have one script that uses it, can't recall which one. It's a handy option, will probably use it more in the future.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

i have used losetup's -f in at least one script, but the script is a personal script, not a script included with any version of Puppy

if you are interested in legacy support (backwards compatibility), older versions of the full version of losetup that are in older versions of Puppy do not have the -f option (for example, losetup-FULL in Puppy 108 does not support he -f option)

wdef

#4 Post by wdef »

Thanks for the replies. I'll write a wrapper or just rename the loop-aes losetup in future.

It's not to do with the currency of the version of losetup, it's the loop-aes-patched util-linux losetup that has additional switches.

You don't get -f, but you do get an -a option (all) among other encryption specific options. ( -a shows info for all loop devices in use).

I might chase up why there's no -f switch on the linux-crypto list since it's an inconvenience.