2.16 Final can not remove icons on desktop * SOLVED *

Please post any bugs you have found
PhilCoo

2.16 Final can not remove icons on desktop * SOLVED *

#1 Post by PhilCoo »

I can not remove icons from desktop,right-click and select remove item but they keep coming back when re-booting.I have also tried manually editing choice/rox-filler/puppypin file but the icons still come back. Previous versions 2.15 etc work ok when removing icons.I am using from live-cd not a hard drive install.I can move the icons I want and the new position is remembered on the next boot-up.

Thanks for any assistance

Phil
Last edited by PhilCoo on Sat 19 May 2007, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

I deleted the 'chat' icon, rebooted, and it was still gone (live-cd).

It will only come back when you upgrade a version (or do pfix=clean) or change the SFS layers -- behaviour that is necessary (there was some discussion on this and much deliberation about it by me when the SFS Boot Manager was being designed).

PhilCoo

#3 Post by PhilCoo »

BarryK wrote:I deleted the 'chat' icon, rebooted, and it was still gone (live-cd).
It will only come back when you upgrade a version .
Thanks for reply, however when I re-boot all the icons I had previously removed still come back.Are there any other files that need editing to keep the icons away when not needed ?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

You might be having a problem with ROX-Filer. Look at /root/Choices/ROX-Filer before and after you delete an icon, see if it is getting changed. It might not be. Also look in /root/.config/ROX-Filer/

PhilCoo

#5 Post by PhilCoo »

BarryK wrote:You might be having a problem with ROX-Filer. Look at /root/Choices/ROX-Filer before and after you delete an icon, see if it is getting changed. It might not be. Also look in /root/.config/ROX-Filer/
The puppypin file does show the changes if I remove icons,however when I save to cd and re-boot the puppypin file reverts to show all icons.I am having the same problems in 2.16 Beta,rc and final.Works ok in 2.15.

Could not see /root/.config/ROX-Filer, but could see /root/.config/ROX-sourceforge/ but no puppypin file inside it.( I may not have got the file name completely correct,not in puppy at moment)

Thanks

Phil

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

That is odd. The code that handles this is in /etc/rc.d/rc.update.
You will see near the bottom of the script, a block of code that is supposed to only execute if a version update or a change in the SFS layers -- if you could figure out why it's going wonky in your case, that would be good.

PhilCoo

#7 Post by PhilCoo »

Thanks Barry,now solved.

Opened /etc/rc.d/rc.update, under the fix desktop section I found this entry: grep -v -E 'pinboard>|<\?xml' /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin | sort -u >> /tmp/PuppyPinTmp and modified it to read: grep -v -E 'pinboard>|<\?xml version="1.0"?>' /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin | sort -u >> /tmp/PuppyPinTmp (highlighted changed text in red to stand out).
This now works with the icons not wanted removed from the desktop.

8)

Phil

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

PhilCoo, now I'm puzzled!
The original code works fine for me. The code
grep -v -E 'pinboard>|<\?xml'
is supposed to screen out lines that have the string 'pinboard>' or '<\?xml' in them. Could you please open a terminal and test this:

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# grep -E 'pinboard>|<\?xml' /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<pinboard>
</pinboard>
You can see what I get as output, which is what I expect.

PhilCoo

#9 Post by PhilCoo »

Hi Barry, I get the same result as yours when run in a terminal window.

sh-3.00# grep -E 'pinboard>|<\?xml' /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<pinboard>
</pinboard>

Phil

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#10 Post by GuestToo »

Puppy definitely deletes some of my desktop shortcuts without asking ... i try to keep backups of my PuppyPin file, just in case

of course, you could use your own pin file instead of PuppyPin, then Puppy would leave it alone ... or you could use multiple pin files, and switch between them to switch to different desktops (icons and wallpaper)

looking in the rc.update script, it says:

"delete duplicate execs ... also delete line if exec"

i may have duplicate exec's that run the same program but with different parameters

i definitely have desktop shortcuts that execute programs that are installed on other partitions that are not mounted when Puppy first boots (the partition might be automatically mounted in rc.local, or it might not be mounted unless i mount it myself manually) ... which would explain why my shortcut to Opera installed on /mnt/hda11 keeps disappearing

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

PhilCoo, okay, so the change you made doesn't explain why it now works. There is some other factor coming into play here.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#12 Post by GuestToo »

the change causes <\?xml lines to not be excluded by grep -v, because the second question mark in <\?xml version="1.0"?> is not escaped

Scoticus

2.16 Final can not remove icons on desktop

#13 Post by Scoticus »

Despite PhilCoo advising that the problem has been solved it has not been solved for me.

Admittedly I am a total newbie to any linux and have extreme difficulty in following / replicating what others are sayiing so a lot of this could be down to me.

Can anyone give me a walk through the solution. I attempted to follow PhilCoo's "Opened /etc/rc.d/rc.update, under the fix desktop section I found this entry" and managed to get as far as /rc.update but could not find the fix desktop section

I am saving to a multisession DVD and am so frustrated in having to rearrange the icons on each reboot. What gets me is that having positioned icons where I want them they are overwritten by those that should have been consigned to oblivion.

Where am I going wrong ?

Ian

PhilCoo

#14 Post by PhilCoo »

Hi Ian,
When you have the folder opened /etc/rc.d, you should be able to see the file rc.update,right-click the file and choose to open as text,scroll down to close to end of file and you will see a section "fix desktop" under there is the entry I changed as per previous post.

This fix is still working after several re-boots 8) Must have been lucky as it seems not official way of working.

Phil

BarryK
Puppy Master

#15 Post by BarryK »

Let's look at the logic here. Line 280 in /etc/rc.d/rc.update:

if [ $NEWPVERSION -gt $OLDPVERSION -o "$LASTUNIONRECORD" != "$PREVUNIONRECORD" ];then
This is the key line that causes the desktop icons to be recalculated. In plain English, this line tests if you have booted a new version of Puppy, or the variables LASTUNIONRECORD and PREVUNIONRECORD are different.

Now, you can check both of those conditions:

Open /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG and you will see those two latter variables. Are they identical?

Checking the Puppy version variables is not so simple.

You can also edit rc.update. Insert these lines just before the 'if' statement in line 280:

echo "NEWPVERSION=$NEWPVERSION  OLDPVERSION=$OLDPVERSION"
sleep 20

PhilCoo

#16 Post by PhilCoo »

This is from the bootconfig file:

PREVUNIONRECORD='2007-05-19-21-02 pup_216.sfs '
LASTUNIONRECORD='2007-05-20-07-21 pup_216.sfs '

Will try the mod to rc.update on line 280 as well as reverting to the original rc.update before I changed text.

Phil

Grizz

#17 Post by Grizz »

First post.
2.16 is fantastic. BUT
I was having the same icon problem booting from a multisession cd. HOWEVER
I now boot from an SD card stuck in a usb adapter. The icons stay the way I position them, and the deleted icons don't come back. I have no idea why, but it works.

Hope this helps someone.

Grizz

PhilCoo

#18 Post by PhilCoo »

Have just re-booted with the rc.update as per original but line 280 altered as per Barry's post,and the icons are correct,no extra icons that had been deleted.

Thanks again Barry. :D :D :D

Phil

BarryK
Puppy Master

#19 Post by BarryK »

Ah ha! This is the problem:
PREVUNIONRECORD='2007-05-19-21-02 pup_216.sfs '
LASTUNIONRECORD='2007-05-20-07-21 pup_216.sfs '
....you are running a multisession CD/DVD!

Under normal circumstances, those two variables should be identical, but it falls down for the multisession CD as the last-loaded folder is different each time. The two variables are only supposed to be different when the SFS layers have changed.

Okay, I'll post a fixed rc.update here soon.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#20 Post by BarryK »

Okay, try this.
Download and gunzip it:
# gunzip rc.update.gz
then copy it to /etc/rc.d/rc.update

then delete an icon on desktop, reboot.
Attachments
rc.update.gz
(4.65 KiB) Downloaded 427 times