Networking on a Fujitsu LifeBook p2120

Booting, installing, newbie
i, Podius

Networking on a Fujitsu LifeBook p2120

#1 Post by i, Podius »

Hi,

I'm a complete Linux newbie, but after growing intensely frustrated with the horrible performance of XP on my Fujitsu LifeBook p2120 sub-notebook, I decided to try out Puppy Linux. I've installed it on a 1GB partition, and so far I'm extremely impressed, and was pretty chuffed when I managed to get the sound working. (ALSA wizard doesn't detect the sound card... but I'm getting off topic.)

Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get the network port working.
When I run the network setup wizard, it finds two driver modules: "ipw2200" and "tg3", but does not detect any active network interfaces.

Through Google, I found two websites, which provide some information, which I can only hope means more to you than it does to me:

http://greenfly.org/fujitsu//#Network,% ... figuration

According to this website, my laptop actually uses the 8139too module, but when I select that specifically from the module list, I get the error message "Loading 8139too failed: try another driver."

I was thinking that this might have something to do with the fact that if my laptop isn't connected to the network before it's switched on, it doesn't seem to be able to detect it's network port at all (at least, in windows this is certainly the case). In the BIOS I found that the network device is set to auto-detect when it is plugged in, which I presume is a power-saving feature. I changed this to be always on, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect in linux, though it does now show up in windows even if it's not plugged in at boot.

http://www.mscs.dal.ca/~selinger/lifebook/#network
I then tried following these instructions, but the using the command "ifup eth0" in console just gets the response:
"ifup: /etc/network/interfaces: no such file or directory"

I also tried using ndiswrapper, with the windows driver, which results in a dialogue box which says:
"netrts51: driver installed
device (10EC:8139) present"

but then when I click "ok" another dialogue box opens saying:
"Loading ndiswrapper failed; try a different driver."

I haven't been able to find anything else that would give me any idea of what to do, so I'm turning to you, noble canines, in the hope that you may know the solution to my problem.

-- EDIT --
Oh, boy do I really feel like an idiot.
I just noticed that there's a version 2.16 out now
It fixed the problem instantly.
Oops.