Does VMWare Player (vmplayer) stil work in puppy? (YES)

Using applications, configuring, problems
jcoder24

Does VMWare Player (vmplayer) stil work in puppy? (YES)

#1 Post by jcoder24 »

Updated 20080214
The answer is yes, see this thread for details and a VMware player installer.

I know that it worked in a previous version of puppy (Puppy202 i think) but I've been able to get it working in the current version 214.

After installation, running vmplayer displays the license dialog and the program quits after accepting the license.

I assume the reason for it not working is because of the change in kernel but I'm hoping that there's an easy fix.

TIA
jcoder24
Last edited by jcoder24 on Thu 14 Feb 2008, 18:42, edited 4 times in total.

VariEze

#2 Post by VariEze »

I'm stuck at the same spot too. vmplayer dispalys the license agreement, then stops.
Any suggestions? --Karl

jcoder24

#3 Post by jcoder24 »

There are two new releases of vmplayer out version 1.04 and version 2.xx beta. I've successfully installed and tested version 2 beta on Puppy 2.14 after making edits to the two of the files. I'll reinstall it and post details on the edits I had to make. I'll also try 1.04 an report how it works.

jcoder24

jonyo

#4 Post by jonyo »

Hey VE,.. NICE bird. You fly it? Build it?

VariEze

#5 Post by VariEze »

Yes, yes, and yes. Unfortunately the EZ languishes in the garage until I figure out how to make time for aviation again..... Maybe in 14 years my 2-year-old will get her license....

looking forward to a solution to the vmware. I installed Ubuntu for that purpose, and I'm so sick of typing "sudo" to run anything. --Karl

Aitch

#6 Post by Aitch »

VE
look here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16905
I've just posted a plea to pizzasgood here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17526
asking him to team up with Jasray for a howto or an iso
If we can get more people interested?
Or find a way to pull all similar posts together?
Any ideas anyone?

jcoder24

#7 Post by jcoder24 »

The following pertains to VMware player version 2.

Copy the following code and save it as vmpatch.sh in the vmware-player-distrib folder created when you extracted the VMware-player package. Make the file executable via chmod +x vmpatch.sh and run it ./vmpatch.sh. After it has completed run ./vmware-install.pl and continue installation as normal.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

#Backup files that will be modified
echo -e "\n\nBacking up files..."
if [ ! -f ./vmware-install.pl.bak ]; then
	cp ./vmware-install.pl ./vmware-install.pl.bak
fi

if [ ! -f ./bin/vmware-config.pl.bak ]; then
	cp ./bin/vmware-config.pl ./bin/vmware-config.pl.bak
fi

#Fix ./vmware-install.pl
echo -e "\nPatching files..."
diskFree=`df | grep /initrd/mnt/dev_save | gawk '{ print $4 }'`
gawk -v diskfree=$diskFree '{if ( /\$dstSpace - \$srcSpace/ ) { print "return " diskfree ";"; } else { print $0;} }' ./vmware-install.pl.bak > ./vmware-install.pl

#Fix ./bin/vmware-config.pl
lineNum=`grep -n "error('Unable to stop services for ' . vmware_product_name() .$" ./bin/vmware-config.pl.bak | gawk -F: '{ print $1 }'`
gawk -v lineNum=$lineNum '{ if ((NR == lineNum) || (NR == lineNum+1)) { print "#" $0;} else {print $0;} }' ./bin/vmware-config.pl.bak > ./bin/vmware-config.pl

#Verify changegs
echo -e "\nDisplaying changes...\n\n"
diff ./vmware-install.pl.bak ./vmware-install.pl
echo ""
diff ./bin/vmware-config.pl.bak ./bin/vmware-config.pl

echo -e "\nPatching completed! Run ./vmware-install.pl to install vmware player.\n"
If the vmware-config part of the installation fails, make sure that vmnet is not loaded. Run ps -ef and lsmod to check. If it is use kill and rmmod to unload it.
Last edited by jcoder24 on Sun 20 May 2007, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

jcoder24

#8 Post by jcoder24 »

Vmware Player 2 works but I'm getting the blue screen of death when installing or running anything from Win2k to Win2k3 server. I hope someone has seen this before and can help me get around it.

mechvent

Awesome

#9 Post by mechvent »

I had to add some directories, which I got from another post:

/etc/rc.d/rc0.d
/etc/rc.d/rc1.d
/etc/rc.d/rc2.d
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d
/etc/rc.d/rc4.d
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d
/etc/rc.d/rc6.d
/etc/pam.d

it finally works, thanks to your code work. I am about as noob as it gets so if you made it so I could work it you 'done good'.

Also, I had to download devx_216.sfs and I downloaded the kernal too (see the wiki main page under C/C++) to handle the compiling.

Thanks again. It has installed well, but I haven't had time to play with it yet....

jcoder24

#10 Post by jcoder24 »

jcoder24 wrote:Vmware Player 2 works but I'm getting the blue screen of death when installing or running anything from Win2k to Win2k3 server. I hope someone has seen this before and can help me get around it.
vmplayer2 works fine on my work pc so I'm thinking it maybe a "my computer" thing --afterall "my computer" refuses to run any form of windows from W2K up (haven't tried anything older).

However, vmplayer 1.0x works fine for me on puppy 2.x.y after editing wrapper-gtk24.sh. I have vmplayer 1.04 packaged with modules for all of puppy 2.x.y kernels but I want to do some more testing before uploading.

T_Hobbit

#11 Post by T_Hobbit »

Is there any pup/pet file with vmware? Even if it's a old version?
I search the forum, but didn't found anything.

Thanks

vovchik

Let's be patient

#12 Post by vovchik »

jcoder24 has just said he is preparing a working package. I am also eager to get my hands on it, since it comes with the proper modules for all 2.x kernels, but I think we should let him test first. I'm certain he'll post a link when he's satisfied that it really works - and not only on his particular machine. I'll be thrilled, since there are two apps I grudgingly have to run in Windows as Wine can't handle them properly. Once I have vmplayer up and running, I'll only have to boot Windows to run chkdsk on some ntfs volumes whose indexes occasionally get mucked up (or I might just get rid of the ntfs volumes entirely).

Regards,
vovchik

jcoder24

#13 Post by jcoder24 »

ockhams

VMware Plaver V2.02 under Puppy 3.0.1

#14 Post by ockhams »

Can Anyone Help Please
I am trying to install vmplayer v2.02 in a puppy 3.0.1 system.. The patch posted by
jcoder24 has got me through the install phase but when I run ./vmware-config.pl from /usr/bin I get this error:
Making sure services for VMware Workstation are stopped.
Stopping VMware services:
Virtual machine monitor done
Unable to stop services for VMware Workstation
Execution aborted.

I have run ps -ef and lsmod to check if vmnet is loaded and it does not appear to be loaded..

Any assistange would be greatly appreciated..

Regards and thanks in advance

ockhams barber

Aitch

More VM

#15 Post by Aitch »

ockhams
Try re-posting where jcoder24 relocated this

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21678

Aitch