Netcomm NP544 USB 802.11g - How to use it in 2.15CE?

Marcel

Netcomm NP544 USB 802.11g - How to use it in 2.15CE?

#1 Post by Marcel »

I'm not 100% beginner - maybe 80%, but 100% when trying to set up a wireless connection.
I'm using Puppy 2.15CE-final, on an Acer Aspire 1600 laptop, direct from CD. My wireless adapter is a Netcomm USB NP544 802.11g
With WinXP on the laptop the connection is fine - I can connect to a desktop downstairs, and to the Netgear router also downstairs.
I have tried ndiswrapper with a whole lot of different Windoze drivers for the NP544. That is: I've tried WinXP, WinME, WinNT, andWin200 drivers.
None of them seem to work. I've also tried rutil, and it doesn't work for me. If I'm doing something wrong, I don't know what it is!
What info should I post, in order to get help?
Thanks
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire

wombat

#2 Post by wombat »

Good Afternoon Marcel, try Menu > Setup > Wizard Wizard > Connect to internet by Network Interface, you should get a box saying a live network interface is showing (probably ATH 0 or similar) > select it and then hit the Auto DHCP button, this usually returns a fix and the TV screens should show on the taskbar.
If OK, select the save and exit those boxes.
You should hopefully then be online.

I haven't worked out how to get the newer laptops with the wireless switch on them online.

Worth a try, Cheers, Wombat.

Marcel

Wireless problem

#3 Post by Marcel »

Thanks Wombat. I tried that - it's the same as using the Network wizard. Auto DHCP doesn't work for me. :(
Anyone got any other suggestions?
Puppy is great :D - CE is great :D - but Oh! What about wireless? :?:
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire

BlackAdder

#4 Post by BlackAdder »

I have a Netgear USB adapter with the same chipset. It would not work with ndiswrapper and the XP driver, but has been working fine using the W98 driver provided by Netgear.

Hope that helps.