216rc kernel panic

Please post any bugs you have found
GuestToo
Puppy Master

216rc kernel panic

#1 Post by GuestToo »

Puppy 216rc frugal install on vfat hda1, pup_save.3fs from 216beta

boots, says loading pup_216.sfs, then says "kernel panic, tried to kill init"

iso md5sum is good, md5sums of vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pup_216.sfs, zdrv file all match the files in the iso

grub:
title = Puppy2
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pfix=clean PMEDIA=idehd
initrd /initrd.gz

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

boots ok with pfix=ram

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

i forgot that i very recently created a dir with a date name, to see what it would do

i'm not sure what it does with Puppy 216 beta, with 216 rc1 it causes a kernel panic

my pup_save.3fs file upgraded from 216 beta is still not unmounting cleanly, but it is causing less damage to the file system ... there are no orphan inodes, or other problems reported by a fsck ... it may be that the only problem is that the clean-unmount flag is not being set

i don't know whether a 2fs file is unmounted cleanly or not, fsck does not report any errors

sh-3.1# e2fsck -vf /mnt/home/pup_save.3fs
e2fsck 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)
PuppyLinux: recovering journal
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

PuppyLinux: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

a 3fs save file is not getting a file system checks when Puppy boots ... it should, to repair the system, if the save file is not unmounting cleanly

an e2fsck -p would normally be adequate, but if the file is not unmounting cleanly, an e2fsck -y -f would do the same thing anyway

in the rc.shutdown script i noticed a line with fusermount -z ... i think that will just print an error message saying that it must be fusermount -u -z

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: 216rc kernel panic

#4 Post by Lobster »

GuestToo wrote: "kernel panic, tried to kill init"
I got a similar message yesterday (this was with Puppy 2.16 Beta)
told to pass the init variable to the kernel

The situation was this:
I had installed Puppy on to a hard drive with the universal installer in one machine with the idea of transferring the HD to one which could not boot from CD.

I was then attempting booting from the full HD install on a Compaq Pentium 133mz with 57MB memory (a 800MB partition and a 290MB swapdrive) that I found abandoned

Initially I had tried setting this system up with DeliLinux (seemed an ideal candidate - but that is another story)

I am not really sure where to go from here? I may wait for a cut down or bare bones version of 2.16 to be released, if anyone is intending that? :?
Last edited by Lobster on Wed 16 May 2007, 04:58, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

bobn9lvu

#5 Post by bobn9lvu »

Don't feel to bad, I cannot get Puppy to run off of a frugal HD install,
I found;
In grub's menu.lst the path to the kernal in /boot should be /boot/puppy216.
Once the correct path is set, I still get a kernel panic error and was told to pass the init variable to it..
I did so, and still get a kernal sync error.....
The only way I can get puppy 2.16 to run on the hd is to do a full install, to the hd
3.50G hda1 rfs
6.25G hda3 rfs
0.25G hda2 swap
And then to get my Nvidia card to run, I have to test the mode, and select the generic driver...
Next I have to force a config of sound, and ethernet...
All is found/configured from cd bootup using pfix=ram and 256m swap on hda2..
GO FIGURE...
I also CANNOT get the sfs installer to do OO it unpacks all into the / dir....

Not a happy camper.. :x :!:

Bob :x
[color=blue][size=150][b]Puppy Linux - [/b][/size][/color][color=red][size=150][b]Lift your leg at Redmond.[/b][/size][/color] :P :twisted: :P

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

I haven't used the Universal Installer, just did it manually, and it works for me. This is what I have in menu.lst:

title Puppy frugal (on /dev/hda6)
rootnoverify (hd0,5)
kernel (hd0,5)/vmlinuz pmedia=idehd root=/dev/ram0
initrd (hd0,5)/initrd.gz

Boots the pup_save file okay. Others have reported it working also.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

I'll test the Universal Installer next, but please be sure that you have the correct version -- if you have been downloading Dougal's test versions, you may not have. The correct version is at /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/sbin/puppyinstaller and can be copied up to /usr/sbin.

bobn9lvu

#8 Post by bobn9lvu »

Problem with frugal install fixed, wrong grub menu entry,
so I edited to correct the boot to ram...
Fixed the sfs problem too...

See my bug posting.

Bob
[color=blue][size=150][b]Puppy Linux - [/b][/size][/color][color=red][size=150][b]Lift your leg at Redmond.[/b][/size][/color] :P :twisted: :P

bobn9lvu

#9 Post by bobn9lvu »

The installer was from the mislabled 2.16rc ( Tanx Crusty :) )
I dl'ed it and used it to install..
So I dunno.....

bob 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#10 Post by BarryK »

I've done a quick hack of the Universal Installer to fix frugal and full hd installs. You gunzip it and place at /us/sbin. Attached.
Attachments
puppyinstaller.gz
(18.56 KiB) Downloaded 1209 times

Leon

#11 Post by Leon »

I tried 216rc with grub4dos-0.4.3 frugal install and kernel boot parameter 'psubdir=bp216r1'. It works well. Openoffice-2.2.0.sfs file mounts without any problem.

This is my menu.lst file:

title Puppy-p2.16r1
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /bp216r1/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd psubdir=bp216r1
initrd /bp216r1/initrd.gz
boot

Barry,
Would it be possible to include 'psubdir' directory to search path for all Puppy files, like pup_216.sfs, pup_save.2fs, pupswap.swp and zdrv_216.sfs?

This would be very convenient for have many versions of Puppy each in its own directory and start them from grub menu like:

title Puppy-p2.16r1
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /bp216r1/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd psubdir=bp216r1
initrd /bp216r1/initrd.gz
boot

title Puppy-p2.16r2
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /bp216r2/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd psubdir=bp216r2
initrd /bp216r2/initrd.gz
boot

BarryK
Puppy Master

#12 Post by BarryK »

The Universal Installer did not recognise my USB Hard drive when I chose to install to "Removable USB hard drive". I've hacked it some more. I tested frugal install to a ext2 first partition on it, works fine now.
Attached:
Attachments
puppyinstaller.gz
(18.67 KiB) Downloaded 1137 times

Dougal

#13 Post by Dougal »

Barry, I don't think you used the my latest update of the installer -- the USB HD problem was solved after people sent me the results of the HW-test dotpup and I found that removable HDs are actually recognized as non-removable.

Why have you added the grub-style device names in the grub entries (initrd hd(0,0)/boot/initrd.gz)? it has been working fine for me all this time without them (initrd /boot/initrd.gz).
Attachments
puppyinstaller.gz
(18.77 KiB) Downloaded 1109 times
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#14 Post by Lobster »

:?

Oh gosh
I installed to IDE HD using Barrys second hack (did not see yours in time Dougal sorry)

and rather than the previous kernel panic
Grub booted up (Nice) and I am posting from Puppy on that HD

I am now gonna put the HD in the Compaq

So the Universal Installer is working up to that point (putting Puppy on a HD)

Thanks guys :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#15 Post by Lobster »

:D posting this from the olde Compaq - success!

If I can do it - a fish can do it
The Compaq has an ethernet connection, rather nice for such an old computer and it ran slowly but acceptably

Could not get a decent resolution - leave that for another day :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#16 Post by BarryK »

Dougal wrote:Barry, I don't think you used the my latest update of the installer -- the USB HD problem was solved after people sent me the results of the HW-test dotpup and I found that removable HDs are actually recognized as non-removable.

Why have you added the grub-style device names in the grub entries (initrd hd(0,0)/boot/initrd.gz)? it has been working fine for me all this time without them (initrd /boot/initrd.gz).
Dougal, I just did very quick hacks with what I knew worked. People were complaining about install paths, so I also took out the /boot/puppy216.

I didn't use your latest as the comment at the top stated that you had implemented something -- I forget now -- anyway, I didn't realise there were other changes. If I recall, I used your vesion of 9thMay.

If that removable/non-removable flag can be used to distinguish between USB Flash and HDDs, that is great.

I've been delaying release of 2.16, too long. It's coming out today as-is. The Installer is a continually evolving project and updates will of course be available in the future.

tytower

#17 Post by tytower »

Err If it don't work, dont release it ,you are only harming yourself. Whats the rush anyway?

2.15CE has now not worked for me in two vital areas , audio sound board not recognised and now a problem with the universal installer.

I see a hack is required for another vital area ,the modem.

Crikey !

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#18 Post by GuestToo »

i find that often about 80% of the time required to make a package is in debugging and polishing, to make sure it works properly in every case

if i were putting together a distro, it would be ready when it was ready ... i wouldn't feel pressured to meet an arbitrary deadline, unless there actually was a real deadline that actually had to be met

pakt

#19 Post by pakt »

I agree that skipping over this Universal Installer issue just to rush 2.16 out the door is not the way to go.
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

alienjeff

#20 Post by alienjeff »

Calm down! So what if the Universal Installer doesn't work as "advertised." Get a grip, for goodness sake. At least it isn't something important ...

Look on the bright side: the eight calculators and seventeen text editors all work fine!

</sarcasm>
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]