Which Browser is Best for Puppy

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else

Which browser is best for Puppy and why?

Dillo?
4%
Seamonkey?
25%
FireFox?
33%
Flock?
No votes
Opera?
28%
Swiftfox?
4%
Konqueror?
1%
Command Line Browser?
1%
hv3?
1%
Something else?
3%

Total votes: 156

pupshock

#61 Post by pupshock »

Opera for me. Small, fast, secure, yet powerful,
thus sharing the same philosophy as Puppy.

I understand why Firefox is not the standard (big, slow).
I dont understand why "Dillo PLUS Seamonkey" is standard.
I'd have thought the standard would be either Seamonkey or Opera.

Pizzasgood

#62 Post by Pizzasgood »

Dillo is used for rendering the help files, because it starts much faster than Seamonkey, especially on older computers.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

T_B

#63 Post by T_B »

Tried Swiftfox today, nice one, doesn't feel as fast as opera.

Strange thing on the wikipedia page of Swiftfox:

" Development of Swiftfox ended April 23, 2007, and the getswiftfox.com site and package server went offline on Saturday, April 28, 2007. The site went back up on April 29, 2007. Future development of Swiftfox compatible with versions of Firefox beyond 2.0.0.4 is no longer expected. "

joki

#64 Post by joki »

sad to here about swiftfox's demise. that's always the problem with forks. lack of take-up, loss of active developer base etc. could seamonkey be next?

firefox, cos of its brand awareness and blind loyalty, is here to stay and i suspect opera will be too on the back of it's strength in the mobile market.
it'd be a real shame if opera decided to stop dev on what is the smallest and most feature packed desktop browser. maybe it'd go open-source before that time

willhunt

#65 Post by willhunt »

what about Konqueror embeded sounds small have not had a chance to use it yet though :cry:
[url=http://hostfile.org/icepak.pet]176 Icewm Themes :!:[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/39fl3x]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/2q7cbp]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]

pupshock

#66 Post by pupshock »

I like Opera, but i can't believe that Internet Explorer is not
up there. It's the most compatible with all the websites : )

henrycat

#67 Post by henrycat »

My votes go to the powerful Opera and to the smaller Flock browser.

alienjeff

#68 Post by alienjeff »

Different jobs require different tools. My surfing habits dictate selecting from three browsers:

Opera 9.02-static - for content-rich websites and all the browsing goodies and tools. Downside for some - proprietary. Caveat emptor: avoid v9.21 like the plague, unless you have a perverse affection for memory leaks, slowing or stalled browsing and ultimately having X crash.

gtkmoz - for very fast, responsive and excellent rendering of webpages with a spartan GUI (downside is reliance on Seamonkey/Mozilla being onboard).

elinks - for "I don't want to be distracted so just cut all the visual BS and just show me the fuggen text" type browsing. Ultra-fast, uber-spartan.

Though the poll question itself may be legitimate for gathering input for the selection of the standard issue Internet browser in Puppy, inclusion of the likes of Dillo, hv3, etc. in the poll, their attributes aside, is preposterous.

-aj
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

jonyo

#69 Post by jonyo »

Main reason I like Firefox is on the fly auto spell check with no need to muck about & set it up. Also that it works in forums such as this one that don't have a spell check feature. I like the multiple tabs too.

joki

#70 Post by joki »

alienjeff wrote: Opera 9.02-static - for content-rich websites and all the browsing goodies and tools. Downside for some - proprietary. Caveat emptor: avoid v9.21 like the plague, unless you have a perverse affection for memory leaks, slowing or stalled browsing and ultimately having X crash.
not experienced any of those probs with 9.21 myself. i do know that 8.54 was super fast by comparision. v 9 onwards can never match its speed - how could it when web standards change and the browser has to implement them and be retro friendly at the same time?
pupshock wrote:I like Opera, but i can't believe that Internet Explorer is not
up there. It's the most compatible with all the websites : )
a wine sfs with internet explorer included would be handy.

disciple

#71 Post by disciple »

Well, I prefer Firefox, but Opera is definitely best for Puppy, unless it has major compatibility issues with something. How much bigger would Puppy be if it had Firefox + a small mail app ??

joki

#72 Post by joki »

an opera puppy could take at least 5mb compressed off the iso size (i roughly calculated about 12mb uncompressed saving iirc around 2.11)

the only problem i see with puppy taking on opera is the flash plugin. for some reason flash9 does not work. a puppy-opera iso would need to use flash7 (1mb uncompressed), unless some techie can find out what's missing/misconfigured in puppy (some linux distros work fine)

Sage

#73 Post by Sage »

I like Opera, but i can't believe that Internet Explorer is not
up there.
Opera can be set to mimic IE - it's all there in the preferences. Good idea to keep two versions ready for use, to take account of all those ignorant, stupid and mercenary webmasters who take the devil's shilling.

disciple

#74 Post by disciple »

Why does Grafpup have a Flash 9 for Opera package then - surely it works?

pupshock

#75 Post by pupshock »

Sage wrote:
Opera can be set to mimic IE - it's all there in the preferences. Good idea to keep two versions ready for use, to take account of all those ignorant, stupid and mercenary webmasters who take the devil's shilling.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mimicry of the devil's exploring offspring is not perfect.
Somethings remain hidden and unknown, and
I am forbidden to enter such evil websites as banks.
Forgive me for the use of the infernal explorer, for the way of the
righteous is not rewarding and i have yielded to temptation.

disciple

#76 Post by disciple »

That's tragic - In New Zealand our bank websites seem to work with practically any browser.

joki

#77 Post by joki »

disciple wrote:Why does Grafpup have a Flash 9 for Opera package then - surely it works?
hmm, does it work? i sceptical.
had a look at the opera tarball on www.grafpup.org and it looks like it's the shared (qt) version, ergo grafpup has qt installed. i always download the static opera install as puppy never has the right qt installed. maybe qt install make flash9 work???

Pizza Dude

#78 Post by Pizza Dude »

I think opera because it fits in with the desktop menu.

xandas

#79 Post by xandas »

Opera all the way. No other browser is plenty of features that makes the navigation a pleasure.

linuxcbon

#80 Post by linuxcbon »

Best choice : Opera, fast , light and still complete :-)

I also like Dillo which runs on very old hardware ! But javascript missing :-(.
Last edited by linuxcbon on Wed 05 Sep 2007, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.