Text Colors in Pizzapup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Skimmel

Text Colors in Pizzapup

#1 Post by Skimmel »

I'm working with the Pizzapup and I have a low priority problem with WGET. I assume that wget is not something pizzasgood came up with directly so perhaps this is the wrong forum section for this question.

Specifically all I'm seeing are orange boxes flash up on the screen with essentially illegible white lettering. My guess is that the orange background is something that wget's original creator hard wired into the program.

Is there some way to change either the background or foreground color on WGET so I can actually read what it says?

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

That's a combination of things. Wget itself doesn't touch the colors, because it's just a simple commandline program. Other apps that use it sometimes set the background color, such as PETget. The problem is that they usually assume the default color scheme hasn't been changed, so they only change the background.

Normally, the default colorscheme is black text on white. I don't like that, because it looks more like a text editor than a terminal, so I changed it to gray text on black (white on black is too much contrast and makes the letters look blurry to me).

So, whichever app you were using intended for the colors to be black on orange, but it didn't account for my changing it, thus the gray on orange.

To fix it, you could either fix the app or change the default colors. I'd need to know the specific app to help you with the first method, but if you chose the second, the file to edit is /root/.Xdefaults (It's a hidden file, so click the "eye" icon in the toolbar to view it).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Skimmel

#3 Post by Skimmel »

Where I encountered it was the wget as called by petget... Or the automatic installer. All the other combinations seem fine but that one gives me the grey on orange. Wget is the only I've noticed the orange background on.

Like I said, it is a low level problem. Generally the wget windows flash by so fast it doesn't matter. Sometimes though they take a bit longer and I'm always worried about the system locking up. It would just be nice to have some way I could be sure to be able to read these things.

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

Go to /usr/sbin/ and right-click petget. Choose "open as text". Go to lines 1600 and 1604 and add -fg black to the list of parameters, right after the -bg orange parts, like so:
1600:
rxvt -name pet -bg orange -fg black -geometry 80x10 -e wget $PKGSRC/pet_packages-2/${APKGNAME}.pet
1604:
rxvt -name pet -bg orange -fg black -geometry 80x10 -e wget $PKGSRC/pupget_packages-1/${APKGNAME}.tar.gz
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]