Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 14:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EZpup - First Looks!
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
WhoDo

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2007, 03:19    Post_subject:  EZpup - First Looks!
Sub_title: A new puppy derivative for refugees from M$

I have finally crystallized in my mind what I want to achieve with my own puplet. Here is a sample of the sort of approach I'm taking.

Background: Gingko
WM: IceWM 1.2.30
Theme: IceVista-modified
GTK: H2O-saphire
Icons: OS-K (mostly)

Enjoy!

raffy

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2007, 04:37    Post_subject: crystals  

The crystals sparkle - I can almost hear them. Very Happy
stlchuck

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2007, 05:14    Post_subject:  

Looks really good - I'll give it a shot when its far enough along to be tested. Is it too much to hope for Firefox (or Iceweasel) as the default browser? I know that Seamonkey is the choice of many developers but my experience with it has not been good - usually I replace it with Firefox as one of my first moves - for a mail client Thunderbird is nice but I can and have used Slypheed (?) with good results. Hope to see more soon.
willhunt

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2007, 06:51    Post_subject: how about
Sub_title: M$ refugee pup

how about xpde as a wm and ice choice is good and xpde
makes M$ refugee's comfortable Confused
WhoDo

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2007, 08:39    Post_subject:
Sub_title: No compromises...

willhunt and stlchuck, all I can tell you is there will be no compromises. As for the rest you will have to wait and see. Razz

raffy, it seems you too have caught the vision! Cool

alienjeff

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2007, 10:33    Post_subject:  

Hi Warren:

I wonder if you have a supply of folks completely oblivious to the likes of Puppy and Linux that you can utilize for product testing and feedback. Their input in re: look and feel would be far more useful in initial design input than from the Puppy community, as we're already sold and trained, by varied degree, on the distro.

Just a thought. Good luck with the project!

-aj

Edited_time_total
WhoDo

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2007, 18:22    Post_subject:  

alienjeff wrote:
I wonder if you have a supply of folks completely oblivious to the likes of Puppy and Linux that you can utilize for product testing and feedback. Their input in re: look and feel would be far more useful in initial design input from the Puppy community, as we're already sold and trained, by varied degree, on the distro.

Yes, I do, Jeff. I'm relying on the community for the technical testing, especially things like drivers, connectivity, etc.

OTOH, I plan on loading the new puplet on PC's going to Windows refugees and those with no real exposure to computers. I'm sure they'll let me know if they have a problem in the usability department.

For the purpose of the exercise I'm not necessarily concerned about the "latest and greatest" features. I'm aiming for "just works". Thanks for your good wishes.

jonyo

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2007, 19:36    Post_subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
I plan on loading the new puplet on PC's going to Windows refugees and those with no real exposure to computers. I'm sure they'll let me know if they have a problem in the usability department.

For the purpose of the exercise I'm not necessarily concerned about the "latest and greatest" features. I'm aiming for "just works.

I think that is a great way to go & I am highly qualified in what you are looking for. Very Happy

In the fewest words, windoze folks don't like fixin. Just works is not something I've seen enough of & would like to see way more of.

I'd like to see a firewall that auto loads on boot, or at the very least, something that shows me it's on.
WhoDo

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2007, 19:57    Post_subject:  

jonyo wrote:
I think that is a great way to go & I am highly qualified in what you are looking for. Very Happy

Of course the new puplet will be offered to the community for testing. Razz

jonyo wrote:
I'd like to see a firewall that auto loads on boot, or at the very least, something that shows me it's on.

How about both? Firewall will be loaded by default. Still toying with allowing access to Firelog or not. Newbies can cause themselves grief if they get too much power too soon. Very Happy

jonyo

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2007, 20:09    Post_subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
Newbies can cause themselves grief if they get too much power too soon. Very Happy

Don't remind me.. Surprised Turned into lotsa Confused Shocked Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad : Crying or Very sad Surprised Mad Wink for me.

Both on the FW works for me Exclamation
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2007, 21:00    Post_subject:  

Quote:
Firewall will be loaded by default.

That is EZ. Anyone want to turn it off (unlikely)
or access Firelog can if they have to. However I don't think
a Firelog should be even considered for something easy . . .

Good luck with EZpup Smile

WhoDo

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2007, 21:52    Post_subject:  

Lobster wrote:
Quote:
Firewall will be loaded by default.

That is EZ. Anyone want to turn it off (unlikely)
or access Firelog can if they have to. However I don't think

Good luck with EZpup Smile

I'm still debating Firelog. I don't want it visible to the refugee user, but we have to remember that someone will be trying to support them somewhere along the line. That support person should have the tools they need to do that job without fiddling with the installation.

I might consider a "hidden" administrative "menu" or "control panel" of some sort, that can be turned on if required by a competent support person. Mostly, though, having the firewall pre-configured and running by default should be enough.

richard.a

PostPosted: Fri 11 May 2007, 09:57    Post_subject:  

You know I think this is a marvellous idea, Warren. Well done.

If you are interested in Windows afficionado volunteers I would offer myself. I tend to use Windows a lot because of familiarity, and while I like puppy per se, I also like several other OS's which all behave and look differently, so I would have no agenda as discussed above.

If you are open to suggestions, I do like Evolution as an email client. Just a personal preference.

Onya mate Smile

You didn't think of OzPup as a name? Very Happy I know Barry is an Ozzie too, but I suppose it might be misinterpreted by some.

Richard in Adelaide

jonyo

PostPosted: Fri 11 May 2007, 10:42    Post_subject:  

Lobster wrote:
However I don't think

Heey hey Mad Just for that, I'm goin straight to firelog. I believe it comes with 2.14.
Could be I downld it though..forget. Do remember firing it up & havin a look. I'll check it out.

What about a gui for the FW? Dunno it that's somethin hard to do.but I've seen a little bit on it in this the forum.

I think us refugees'd also like to have anti-vir even if not really required for linux. I don't use winx much these days but still handy for a backup & mainstream sys that many'd prob still have (my whole fam addicted to it; office for school, all gamers too ..etc). Easier to switch over that way in case of probs (& I had many). I find myself mostly in pup & dwldin win stuff (drivers, music, large ISO files & whatnot) that I'd like to check out in pup BEFORE firin up the dreaded dinosaur monster Mad (win x). Runnin all my pups live cd on top of winx's, I dnwld all the big stuff straight to winx

Much as I like pup, I don't see myself being refugee free Laughing for some time. Win is still a piece of cake for me, to work (& for most things..printers gadgets & stuff) compared to pup which I can sorta keep workin (somehow Rolling Eyes ) at this point with basics. Lots to learn from a dead start! Helps alot to have a big litter to play with, with great support! Believe it or not, I've still not done a modprobe & don know what it does. Embarassed but see that word alot.

I missed the boat on DOS, so you can imagine my console abilities Shocked Confused

Easy (as possible) WIFI setup is HUGE imo & pup pretty good at it I think from what I see out there.. Still problematic though & i think i've only managed to get ~ 1 (outa~10) setups to boot straight into wifi, but never trtied to fix probs via console stuff. (tuff nut to crack for me). HEY, all I knows is GUI, click & go refugee world Rolling Eyes
----------------------------------
still in the boat.. refugee, Laughing lookin for land & freedom Very Happy
richard.a

PostPosted: Sat 12 May 2007, 00:39    Post_subject:
Sub_title: Just an observation

Hi all,

We are told that ubuntu has an enormous share of the "ab initio ex Windows" market. So perhaps this thread is a good place to post this, rather than a new one.

If the statistics are correct, then I'm puzzled.

I've been involved in the development of several competing products - I won't call them "alternatives" because strictly you can only have one alternative, the derivation of the word (in Latin) meaning "one or the other".

The choices have all presented a menuing system that is similar in many respects to that of MS Windows.

Yet Ubuntu does not... and while I liked Ver 4.02, I've found each successive version to be less friendly. Some foks don't like the thin panels, top and bottom, and therefore the very small text labels, but that isn't my difficulty. Mine is mainly that the logic behind the three menus that drop down from the top isn't always apparent, and they have actually changed it from version to version.

There also seems to be difficulty in configuring stuff that isn't properly detected during installation.

Apart from that, it's very good. And the Dapper v6.06 desktop I installed earlier today behaves nicely, apart from the points I make above; every computer I have has a second 20Gb HDD for stoprage of stuff, and often ubuntu doesn't detect it, and frequently refuses to reconsider its opinion.

It's probably an excellent Linux distribution for those who are real died-in-the-wool Linux users, and I know several people who claim it's the best thing since sliced bread.

So, I dunno. I even thought I'd have a go at creating a JWM-based "pupbuntu" a while back, but abandoned the idea, mainly for the reasons I've given.

Maybe someone can make some suggestions...

I still like my "Kitty Linux" though Smile Very Happy

Richard in Adelaide

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot