Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Oct 2014, 00:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Puppy 2.16 Beta--Pup_save files booting from CD
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
rrolsbe

PostPosted: Wed 09 May 2007, 13:14    Post subject:  Puppy 2.16 Beta--Pup_save files booting from CD
Subject description: Did not find pup save files on hard ide hard drive BUT see POST

I performed the following:

1. I downloaded the 2.16 Beta ISO
2. Remastered the 2.16 Beta ISO to add my puppy 2.16 alpha pup_save crypto file
3. Created a boot cd using the remastered ISO from step 2 above.
4. Booted from CD created in step 3 above.

Puppy found the pup_save file located on the CD but did not find the three pup_save files located on the internal IDE harddrive. NOTE: when I remade the 2.16Beta boot CD without including the pup_save file on the boot CD the boot process did find the 3 pup_save files on the hard drive. When I attemped to use the pup_save file located on the boot CD, the boot process tried to mount the pup_save file RW and failed with errors.

Questions: When a pup_save.sfs file is located on a puppy boot CD, puppy should find and allow selection of pup_save files located on internal IDE drives, correct?
I actually got excided when the puppy 2.16 Beta presented me the option of chosing the pup_save file located on the boot cd media thinking it might use the file in a read only mode. If puppy could use the pup_save file in a read only mode, remastering might not always be needed to create custom puppy boot media with desired personnel settings.

Just my cents
Regards
Ron

PS-- The beta looks GREAT!
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2007, 08:51    Post subject:  

Actually, that's something I never even considered, that someone would put a pup_save file on the CD!
rrolsbe

PostPosted: Fri 11 May 2007, 22:23    Post subject: Using the pup_save file from CD could retain encryption
Subject description: The remaster programs do not, as expected, retain encryption

BarryK wrote:
Actually, that's something I never even considered, that someone would put a pup_save file on the CD!

After trying the fixed pupremaster.sh script Dougal posted this morning, I verified, as expected, the files from the encrypted pup_save added to the remastered CD do not retain their encryption. If it were possible to mount the encrypted pup_save file located on the puppy boot cd read-only, it might be possible to retain the encryption. BTW, Barry do you plan to add Dougal's fixed pupremaster.sh script to the puppy2.16 final release? Next time I remaster puppy and add my pup_save file to the iso, I plan to rename the file. Renaming the file will allow puppy to find my pup_save files located on my hard drive; likewise, give me the option of copying/renaming the pup_save file from the cd to other devices for use.

Thanks for your consideration regarding these possibilities.

Regards
Ron
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: