Blender in Puppy 2.15CE

News, happenings
mortlocl

Blender in Puppy 2.15CE

#1 Post by mortlocl »

I've just tried out 2.15CE on my desktop. I copied the ooo web and pgs sfs files to /mnt/home and did a fixmenus.

Everything seems to work so far...except for blender. Clicking on this from the menu and nothing happens. Im not expecting a fix from the sketchy detail Ive given here. I'm happy that Ive have inkscape, gimp and other graphics programs such art of illusion to tinker with. I'm just making it known in case others are having a prob with blender. It's likely it may just be me.
mortlocl

WhoDo

Re: Blender in Puppy 2.15CE

#2 Post by WhoDo »

mortlocl wrote:I've just tried out 2.15CE on my desktop. I copied the ooo web and pgs sfs files to /mnt/home and did a fixmenus.

Everything seems to work so far...except for blender. Clicking on this from the menu and nothing happens. Im not expecting a fix from the sketchy detail Ive given here. I'm happy that Ive have inkscape, gimp and other graphics programs such art of illusion to tinker with. I'm just making it known in case others are having a prob with blender. It's likely it may just be me.
Blender uses extra libraries - Python I believe - that obviously weren't included with the sfs file and certainly weren't in 2.15CE. You can find out which ones by typing the command at a console and checking the errors. From memory the extra libraries are available from PETget (Install on your desktop).

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Previously known as Guest

#3 Post by Previously known as Guest »

Python is there, I've just done some testing in fresh bootups in different RC versions & Blender works fine in puppy_215CE_RC3a.iso. Something changed after that in RC4 & Final...

WhoDo

#4 Post by WhoDo »

Previously known as Guest wrote:Python is there, I've just done some testing in fresh bootups in different RC versions & Blender works fine in puppy_215CE_RC3a.iso. Something changed after that in RC4 & Final...
I'm running Puppy 2.15CE-Final-R2 with pgs_215.sfs and Blender works fine on my standard install too. I didn't have to load a python library package to get that to happen, but I just remembered the dependency which is why I mentioned it.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

#5 Post by Previously known as Guest »

WhoDo wrote: I'm running Puppy 2.15CE-Final-R2 with pgs_215.sfs and Blender works fine on my standard install too. I didn't have to load a python library package to get that to happen, but I just remembered the dependency which is why I mentioned it.

Cheers
I just tried in a fresh boot up in 215 Final R2 & it's a no go, it works on my 2.15 I've been using for a while, so I can confirm that there is a problem at first. What changes were made between RC3 & RC4 dependency wise in Puppy? Seems a update service pack could be needed.

This thread should be moved to Bugs.

mortlocl

blender in console result

#6 Post by mortlocl »

typing the command at a console and checking the errors. ...gives me:

'checking for installed Python...got it.
xlib: extension 'GLX" missing on display ":0.0"
error unable to open blender window.

...not sure how to fix this?
mortlocl

Re: blender in console result

#7 Post by Previously known as Guest »

mortlocl wrote:typing the command at a console and checking the errors. ...gives me:

'checking for installed Python...got it.
xlib: extension 'GLX" missing on display ":0.0"
error unable to open blender window.

...not sure how to fix this?
There is a problem that is confirmed! Looking into resolving the issue.

Again, this thread should be moved to Bugs concerning 2.15CE.

#8 Post by Previously known as Guest »

It seems that xorg opengl libraries were removed from 2.15 after RC3a, so to get it working in 2.15 Final, install xorg-OPENGL-7.0: opengl libraries from Puppy's package manager. I've updated the pgs_215.sfs. I'll get around to uploading it.

mortlocl

ta mate !

#9 Post by mortlocl »

Thank you matey, that is excellent...and sorry about posting the thread in the wrong place.
mortlocl

WhoDo

#10 Post by WhoDo »

Previously known as Guest wrote:It seems that xorg opengl libraries were removed from 2.15 after RC3a, so to get it working in 2.15 Final, install xorg-OPENGL-7.0: opengl libraries from Puppy's package manager. I've updated the pgs_215.sfs. I'll get around to uploading it.
Hmmmm....not "removed" but most certainly "left out". Don't know how that happened, but you can also download by opening Menu>System>3DCC in 2.15CE and you will have an option there to download the OpenGL libraries.

Sorry about that.

#11 Post by Previously known as Guest »

WhoDo wrote: Hmmmm....not "removed" but most certainly "left out". Don't know how that happened, but you can also download by opening Menu>System>3DCC in 2.15CE and you will have an option there to download the OpenGL libraries.

Sorry about that.
Funny how some things happen :D
Seems it took a long time for anyone to mention the problem, unless I've missed it posted before.

WhoDo

#12 Post by WhoDo »

Previously known as Guest wrote:Seems it took a long time for anyone to mention the problem, unless I've missed it posted before.
Nope. That's the first time for that particular issue, AFAIK. I too am surprised that no-one mentioned it earlier.