Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 07:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
2.16 Alpha
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2007, 04:53    Post_subject:  

Sage wrote:
Try it! A black background is far less strain.

?
tried it Sage. Many times. many monitors. Many conditions.

In theory yes. In practice I find black on white background more legible.

We dont use black paper with white print.

That is why grey is a good compromise for those extolling the virtues of their preference - which clearly don't appear black or white . . .

Sage

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2007, 06:19    Post_subject:  

Black paper costs more to make and white pencils are less than satisfactory. Those technologies don't apply here, and the green credentials are reversed for electronic media.
pakt

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2007, 06:21    Post_subject:  

Sage, you obviously require a bit more convincing so here are two more excerpts from serious ergonomics sources:

From FAQ at http://www.netsci.org/Science/Special/feature01.html
Quote:
5)Q. Is there an optimum screen brightness and color scheme to help prevent eye strain?

A. Black characters against a light gray background are often easiest on the eyes for long periods. Its suggested that contrast and brightness should be adjusted to create the brightest screen without blurring.

From http://www.northwestern.edu/risk/Ergo.htm, excerpt from the "Ergonomic Survey to see if you have task/risk factors"
(the lower the points the better)
Quote:
4. The primary screen used has:

a. A very light background with dark characters similar to print on paper (2 points)
b. A light colored background with darker characters (4 points)
c. A dark colored or black background with light characters (8 points)

I could find any number of authoritative sources supporting this: for best computer ergonomics, ie, to make is easier on the eyes, you should have dark characters on a light background.

Sage, please show me a serious reference that recommends what you suggest: light characters on a dark background. Wink

Sage

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2007, 06:49    Post_subject:  

Quote:
This fact is both subjectively as well as intuitively evident

Have you tried it yet?!
The eye is a remarkable instrument. It can discriminate a candle flickering at three miles. It is degraded by bright lights which tend to saturate the rods and cones all too easily. Everyone knows this - try shining a torch into one eye - it takes a few minutes to recover. The phenomenon of persistence of vision is known to every schoolchild. Furthermore, once your eyes accostom themselves to a 'dark' room, most folks begin to discern the objects around them, since the complete absence of light is difficult to achieve. You may get a good view of the stars up there in the archipelagos, but down here in our crowded towns (and countryside), we are blighted by street lights, commonly referred to as light pollution.
So, go on try a black background and see how much you will like it and how soothing it is on the eyes. If you wish, put up yellow text. The nearer you can get to a green text and still resolve it the better as there is a sharp dip in response in this part of the spectrum.
Light, especially toward the blue end, degrades nearly everything organic ie based on carbon, that includes people! The chemistry is irrefutable.
Gn2

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2007, 06:59    Post_subject:  

Ahh....... let there be a light-errrr touch on this.....
Quote:
light characters on a dark background

> The Sky ?

In the beginning - there was no light - so God said "Let there be Light"

& by G - there was

In "The Beginning" There was nothing but dark
Nothing however, could be seen.
So G created light: nothing could still be seen - but it was now evident, since in all wisdom > light had been cast on the subject

So you see, Ergo - How this is "felt" is now the topic.
Seeing the background is as dark as ever it was In Wink the Beginning
Sage, do ya follow the code ?

Oh BTW - colour as we see it - is NOT
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2007, 07:23    Post_subject:  

Too true - as we've observed before, nothing is what it seems. Red is blue and blue is red. Who's that walking on the ceiling?
Glad you were able to shed light on the matter - or anti-matter, if travelling in the parallel of our own space-time continuum.
And, on that note, I just know that Lob is going to want to join the party.
Gn2

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2007, 07:52    Post_subject:  

To continue -umm: Isn't that Approx when I came in ~
The Lobster Quadrille ?

"Will you walk a little faster" said a whiting to a snail -
"Theres a purpose close behind me" - and he's treading on my tale.....
Who will come and join the dance
~ The snail replled; "Too far too far" & gave a look askance
"What matters it how far we go?" his scaly friend replied.
"There is another shore, you know, upon the other side."
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2007, 08:10    Post_subject:  

Oh dear, the 'other side' sounds ominous.
Is that the same as the 'dark side'?
Come in Lob., we need your directions....
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2007, 09:07    Post_subject:  

I am busy trying to buy a 'Dimensional Warp Generator'

http://tmxxine.com/pligg

. . . as for the dark side of the force (and the screen)
In the realm of the Grey Lords, harmony is achieved by balancing the complimentrary elements.

The important thing is not what is right or wrong, for that is dependent on perception and persuasion.

What is important is what works. This is why Linux allows the followers of light to shine and the followers of the void to empty the lighter side . . .

I follow the Middle Way . . .

The Middle way has four truths*

Existence includes Darkness
Darkness has a cause
Light exists
Follow the 8 fold Puppy

* based on the four Noble Truths of Buddhism

http://www.killingthebuddha.com/
old gods, new tricks

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2007, 11:40    Post_subject:  

Try reading anything on a white background in a dark room at 3am. Even if you do overcome the pain and make your eyes adjust, as soon as you finish and stand up, you'll fall flat on your face because your roommate left a chair in the middle of the floor. Rolling Eyes With a dark background you don't hurt your eyes and your night vision isn't quite so depleted, so hopefully you'll see that chair.

On the other hand, though dark backgrounds aren't very bright during the day, they don't hurt your eyes.

As for green or white on black, it's just too much contrast. I always reset my terminal to use black a background and gray text. (My desktop icons generally don't have text, just an image, so that's why I'm talking about terminals.)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2007, 16:46    Post_subject:  

My old eyes find any color text on a black or dark background to be nearly impossible to read. Sometimes, if I'm in a good mood, I copy the text and paste it into a word processor so I can read it. Mostly I just close that page and read something else instead. Black text on a white or light green or yellow background is the most readable for me.

If you youngsters don't want us old fuddys to read your stuff, use red letters on a black background. If you're asking me to send you some money, better use black ink on a white background. Laughing
pakt

PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2007, 02:09    Post_subject:  

From one old fuddy to another - nicely put Flash Smile

To others who find a 'white' background too bright - so do I. The recommendations are for dark text on a light - not white - background. Nowhere does it say you should use a 'white' background (re-read the quotes I gave earlier). The 'earlgrey' image I posted earlier in this thread is about as bright as I would want a background to be. Normally I use a somewhat darker colored image which still gives me good contrast with dark text and the desktop icons. I also have my LCD panel's brightness set quite low.

Paul

Sage

PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2007, 02:48    Post_subject:  

Extremely unusual for a Swede to reject the eco-friendly option! I might have to report you to the eco-warriors, pakt! Black = OFF. Less power, less landfill. Quite apart from the fact that a black background is more restful to the eyes. But if you must ape conspicuous consumption, try a very dark blue. The entire argument is spurious, anyway, since most active time is spent looking at coloured images rather than the desktop or a blank screen screensaver.
pakt

PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2007, 02:59    Post_subject:  

Sage wrote:
Extremely unusual for a Swede to reject the eco-friendly option! I might have to report you to the eco-warriors, pakt! Black = OFF. Less power, less landfill.

Quite the contrary, Sage. On a TFT panel the back light is on whether your background is light *or* dark. It's the back light that uses the most power in a TFT panel. Otherwise I have my panel set to standby after 20min of unuse *then* the back light turns off. Ergo my electricity bill isn't any higher than your's Wink

Sage

PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2007, 04:01    Post_subject:  

It's not only the cold cathode tubes that consume power, each pixel is one (or three, depending how you count them) transistors - even at the pico-Ampere level each, that's still a significant total when summed over all units, over the year. The case for crt s, still used by the majority around the world, is even more compelling, even though the guns are still, technically, ON.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum