Mstar

#61 Post by Mstar »

Jesse,

Just re-booted and nothing has changed.

Going to bed now, it's been a long day.

Thanks again.

Sit Heel Speak

#62 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

@Mstar: the reason I had you put it in /tmp, was so that it would not permanently contaminate your system, i.e. so it would vanish when next you reboot. The /tmp subdir is not persistent (that's why it's called "temp," I presume).

So, you may have to download it fresh. Back up /usr/sbin/puppyserialdetect to /usr/sbin/puppyserialdetect-original as above (unless you already did, in which case, don't), copy the new puppyserialdetect-static to (overwriting) /usr/sbin/puppyserialdetect, shut-down-and-save, reboot so that Puppy uses the new puppyserialdetect at boot time (I think it needs to reboot for the new puppyserialdetect to take effect, but am not 100% sure), and then see if anything has changed.

Mstar

#63 Post by Mstar »

Sit Heel Speak,

Sorry for not following ALL of the directions. Anyway, I put puppyserialdetect-static from puppyserialdetect-1.1d in /usr/sbin after extracting it following Jesse's directions and rebooted.

The boot message still shows the mouse as PS2, and nothing has changed with regard to the menu behavior.

Here's the output from RXVT:

sh-3.00# cd /usr/sbin
sh-3.00# puppyserialdetect-static -ke
Type:PS2-mouse|Port:/dev/input/mice|Direct:/dev/input/mouse0|Model:ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse
Type:USB-mouse|Port:/dev/input/mice|Direct:/dev/input/mice|Model:Microsoft Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop® 2.10
Type:PS2-kbd|Port:/dev/input/keyboard|Direct:/dev/input/keyboard|Model:AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Type:USB-kbd|Port:/dev/input/keyboard|Direct:/dev/input/keyboard|Model:Microsoft Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop® 2.10
sh-3.00#

Thanks again, everyone. Sorry the news is not better.

Dougal

#64 Post by Dougal »

SHS pointed me to this thread in relation to the mouse problem.

I don't know if I can help with the 2 mice + 2 keyboards setting -- it does seem like something to do with Xorg, which I've never messed with.
I was wondering, though, if it might not have something to do with the protocols.
The xorgwizard contains a part (also in xwin) where the mouse protocol is "fixed". It seems like the xorg.conf that is generated by probing comes out with

Code: Select all

Option	    "Protocol" "auto"
for **all** mice but the wizard changes it to:
USB mouse: "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Serial mouse: "Protocol" "Microsoft"
ps/2 mouse: "Protocol" "auto"

So if you have two different mice and Puppy sees one is USB (it always chooses USB first) then **all** protocol lines will be changed to IMPS/2 -- which might not be ok with a ps/2 mouse...
(The xorgwizard also changes the ZAxisMapping lines to "4 5" -- in my case the original was "4 5 6 7". Note that to see the original output of the Xorg probing, look at the file /tmp/xorg.conf.new after you have run the xorgwizard.)

Hope this helps...
(note that to prevent the lines from being auto-modified by xwin in the future, you should remove from their ends the "#mouse0protocol" part.)

There is one thing I might have found a solution to: DoWho's problem.
If you have a USB mouse, then it is linked to /dev/input/mice.
I have found that input/mice also works with my ps/2 mouse -- puppyserialdetect actually detects my mouse as input/mice (just like a usb mouse).
That got me to thinking... the detection of the (non-legacy) mice is done by the kernel and the mice listed in /proc/input/devices, right?
/proc/input/devices actually lists my mouse as being handled by "mouse0" -- that is input/mouse0.
So maybe "input/mice" is just like our /dev/mouse, a generic name that is secretly representing the various "mouse" devices?

So what I did was change /dev/mouse from input/mice to input/mouse0 -- and it works!

So I think the solution to DoWho's multiple mice problem is to look in /proc/input/devices, find which mouse# handles his desired mouse and re-link /dev/mouse.

Say it's mouse0, just open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

ln -snf input/mouse0 /dev/mouse
then restart X...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Mstar

#65 Post by Mstar »

Sit Heel Speak, Jesse, Dougal, et.al.

More data points:

Cold boot with PS2 keyboard and wired USB mouse attached. Startup message showed USB mouse. Mouse worked normally with menu.

Cold boot with PS2 keyboard, PS2 mouse, and USB mouse attached. Same message, and both mice worked.

Cold boot with re-attached wireless mouse with PS2 keyboard and PS2 mouse attached. Startup message showed PS2 mouse, and menu behavior was as before -- didn't work.

Looks to me like the wireless set-up is definitely the culprit, although that isn't exactly a stunning revelation. At least conventional USB recognition works fine.

Dougal,
Your comments are way over my capability level. I don't have a clue what to do with your suggestion. I appreciate the effort, but you are talking to someone who needs to be taken by the hand and guided through these things.

As always, I am grateful for the help.

Sit Heel Speak

#66 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

@Mstar: I do comprehend what Dougal is saying; in a nutshell, puppyserialdetect and one of the init scripts --I have only rudimentary understanding, but believe the relevant script is either /etc/rc.d/rc.local0 or rc.sysinit-- ...mmm...but I can think of two other candidates...will need some expert revision in order to correctly detect everything and write xorg.conf so as to accommodate your particular combination.

It is not an unimportant issue. You are not the only one having problems with a two-keyboard, two-mouse rig.

Let me consider what Dougal and Jesse have said. This week, I will visit a PC recycler where perhaps I can pick up your pair inexpensively and, if indeed I find them, play with the scripts and xorg.conf myself. Otherwise we are playing blindfold chess.

Mstar

#67 Post by Mstar »

Sit Heel Speak, Jesse, Dougal, et. al.

It's back ...

I just installed Icewm-Ultra in 2.16 and it exhibits exactly the same behavior. The problem appears to be in Icewm and not Puppy.

Or maybe you already knew that.

FWIW, guess I should have left well enough alone.

Jesse

#68 Post by Jesse »

Hi,

Yes, seems to be IceWM, but be careful about jumping to conclusions.
Although it seems to be IceWM, it could really be any component of the combination that is not 100% compatible with the others.
Have you tried another USB mouse to check that it could be a buggy mouse?
Did you come across any Puppy edition that did not have the problem with IceWM and your usb mouse?

Jesse

Mstar

#69 Post by Mstar »

Hi Jesse,

Tried a wired USB mouse in 2.16 and it works just like the wired PS2 mouse. The wireless mouse still does not work.

I actually have all three mice functioning at the moment, two properly, one not.

Neither of the USB mice was detected at boot, although the wireless USB keyboard was.

FWIW